"Strawberry Fields Forever"/"Penny Lane" Single on April 22 (Record Store Day 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I got mine but it cost me.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Mine is on it's way for £16 including postage.

mikrt17 likes this.
  3. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

NEMS had 3 shops - 2 in Liverpool City Centre and another on the outskirts of Liverpool in Bootle. It seemed like most teenagers living in Liverpool wanted to buy a copy and I wanted a copy too but I had to wait until I had enough pocket money to get it. The main store in Whitechapel just around the corner from Matthew Street had sold out so I had to get it at the other branch. If Brian Epstein had bought all those copies, they would have been readily available in any of those branches.

However, in 1962, it made no difference how many copies a shop sold of any record because the charts weren’t compiled in that way. NEMS had been a ‘chart return’ shop for years and it still provided data to Melody Maker and also to Record Retailer –but those papers’ weekly phone calls or printed questionnaires didn’t ask for sales figures, only for a shop’s bestselling records ranked from 1 to 30; the papers awarded thirty points to the number 1 record down to one point for the number 30, and calculated an overall national total. Brian Epstein had no need to buy ten thousand of the single to get it into the charts; but obviously NEMS bought enough copies in to try and satisfy the likely demand.

4. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

Great story and clarification! How cool to have been there back then.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Mine has not arrived, and it's been over a week since I got notification of dispatch. I do hope it hasn't accidentally fallen out of a postbag and into someone's pocket along the way. (Think I am cynical? Yes, but with good reason).

6. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Can anyone verify what label this is on? Is it the orange and yellow swirl? I apologize if this has been covered already - I didn't read all 200 posts in this thread.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No swirl. Parlophone label (black and white):

[​IMG]

Digital-G likes this.
  8. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Cool. Thanks. I guess the UK label makes the most sense. Honestly though, I'm a bigger fan of the Capitol swirl.

dasacco likes this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It would have been nice if they printed STEREO somewhere.

10. They missed a handful locally, which I saw in a couple of stores over the weekend...:shh:

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

One of my local sources just emailed me that he got another copy today from his distributor.
    I didn't get one on RSD so i snapped it up.

I don't think it's that unusual that copies are available after RSD, it has happened before, my guy said.

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

In the center hub, they should have written... "Sold in U.K. Subject to Record Store Day flippers. See eBay." :nyah:

13. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

This yo-yo pricing is insane. What kind of stupid algorithm produces these results?

mikrt17 likes this.
  14. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

I somewhat agree but it is printed on the hype sticker NEW STEREO REMIX.

15. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

OK - I'm way behind the rest of you but I finally got my copy (from the Netherlands at a pretty decent price). My initial thought after a/b ing with my Hor Zu copy of Magical Mystery Tour and my original mono single is that Giles worked hard at trying to replicate the mono mixes in a stereo way. He did a nice very nice job. It's way more "hi-fi" than my nm Hor Zu copy. Is it better than his dad's mix? No, not at all. But it does sound very nice. I'm glad I got it.

Bobby Sutliff

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yes! Thank you! I've said that from the get-go upon hearing both these mixes for the first time on "1". And *this* so-called new remix of PL sounds more than 99% like the remix on "1". And I'm with you on this...it sounds nice but, much as I'm a fan of remixes when done properly (and when they're actually needed), I prefer the original stereo mixes of both PL and SFF. My preference is mainly due to the horns and strings (the cellos)...both of which have far more "bite" on the originals.

17. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

It looks like the Japanese version has both the standard sleeve and a replica of the original Japanese sleeve. From the photos I've seen, I'm guessing the Japanese sleeve is housed within the standard sleeve.

18. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Hi, are you by chance the Bobby Sutliff from the Windbreakers?

19. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I must confess I am that person.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  20. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Looks just like the one I got today:righton:

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  21. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

"Nothing is real"

In the video, the first time that comes up, we see Paul's stomach coming at us.
    After that, every time that lyric comes up, we see Paul.

"No one I think is in my tree"

Of course that "no one" in the tree in the video is Paul.

Yes sir, they were playing games with us.

22. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Thank you for the music my friend! The Windbreakers have given me much happiness.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Did anyone else notice this RSD 45 recently showed up again on Amazon.fr? I snagged a new copy for 10 euros (though since I ordered it the price has shot back up again to nearer 30 euros). The issue date is given as May 18, 2018. Does this mean they pressed a new batch of these singles? Or did they just find an unsold stack from 2017?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

The mix on the RSD is the 2017 remix I’m pretty sure. The vocals are separated like the new remix

25. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

Two years later & I finally own an unopened copy of this via eBay. Could have owned it earlier if I had paid silly prices.
    I was on a flight that RSD.
    The Beatles should never be a limited RSD item. Just my opinion of course.

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.