New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I'm not hating. Not until I've seen it.
    I'm just pretty sure this series of moves is a recipe for disaffection.
    Unless the first half of the series is damn-damn-damn good, they'll likely loose viewers splitting it in two halves. Or encouraging "alternate" sources, which is the same thing, from business perspective.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

EXCLUSIVE

Star Trek: Discovery first look at Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca

JAMES HIBBERD@JAMESHIBBERD

POSTED ON JUNE 21, 2017 AT 1:52PM EDT
    [​IMG]
    JAN THIJS/CBS

Here’s a major first look at Star Trek: Discovery: Above is the first photo of Jason Isaacs as Gabriel Lorca, a steely Federation Starship Captain who’s considered a brilliant military tactician. The photo also gives the first hint of the bridge of the U.S.S. Discovery — which hasn’t yet been fully revealed (the bridge shown in the CBS All Access’ drama’s trailer is on the U.S.S. Shenzhou). Isaacs is best known for his work in the Harry Potter franchise (as Lucius Malfoy) and on shows such as Netflix’s The OA and Showtime’s Brotherhood.

Discovery stars Sonequa Martin-Green (The Walking Dead) as Starfleet First Officer Michael Burnham, marking the first time a Trek series lead has not been a captain. Also in the mix is Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh), under whom Burnham serves, and Lt. Saru (Doug Jones), a new alien species in the Trekfranchise, among others. Plus, a whole lot of Klingons.

Pick up this week’s issue of EW for more Star Trek: Discovery scoop.
    'Star Trek: Discovery' First Look at Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How can they 'binge the season', when the release schedule is one ep per week?

Sorry, but that is not what's going on here at all. It is well known that the production is significantly behind schedule. At this point in time, they have around 5 episodes filmed - 10 to go. These are expensive episodes that require lots of production and especially post-production. They simply don't have the time to get the whole season out in one go, which is why they're splitting it in two. Otherwise, why risk people losing interest during the break? That makes no sense.

The_Windmill likes this.
  4. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

That was the point I was making...they're not batch releasing the whole (or even half) season to prevent "binge and cancel".

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ok, I must have misread your reply. The other reason for a weekly release schedule is to make it last longer in public discussions, then rinse and repeat next week. I can understand that angle, but the problem imo is that this show isn't an episode of the week affair (like before), but a highly serialized story, which naturally plays better when you can see episodes back to back immediately*, and having an extended break mid season just makes things worse from a continuity perspective.

* For example, I don't think I could have gotten through the latest House of Cards season if the eps were released weekly - just felt too slow with specific plot/character details likely being lost week to week.

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

A highly serialized story would work better for a mid-season break, as the writers can end the first half of the season with a cliffhanger. I suppose they can do that with a two-parter, but audiences will have more invested in the show if the story builds to the cliffhanger over the course of the first half of the season.

7. I am really confused. I thought the new series was supposed to follow the adventures of Kirk, et al., while they were in training at Starfleet Academy. Did I just make that up?

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, it was never going to be that. That idea has bubbled up over the years but the closest we're going to get to that is the first of the last three theatrical movies.

sunspot42 and Billy Budapest like this.
  9. So, I just watched the trailer for Discovery. Let me get this right--the series is set ten years before TOS, yet the sets and design are the most futuristic-looking Trek ever? What gives??? Shouldn't the Trek universe, vehicles, clothing, technology, and, well, everything look as it did in TOS? I mean, I absolutely loved Enterprise which had the same problem so I guess it won't be a deal breaker. Still, how cool would a retro-future Trek have been?

10. OK. After watching the second of the reboot movies, and hearing some bad reviews of ST: Beyond, I kind of gave up on cinema Trek.

Deesky and dkmonroe like this.
  11. dkmonroe

The first reboot movie was fun even though it was somewhat frustrating and preposterous. I disliked the second one. Haven't seen the third one but I probably will now that it's on Netflix.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

No, the TOS sets look that way due to the limited production values of the era. A professional contemporary sci-fi show is not going to replicate the production values of a 1966 television series. Nobody would watch, and they would be laughed out of the business.

Regarding continuity, you have to take into account that this is all make-believe, and sometimes you just have to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story. The story is what matters.

13. That brings up another question--the new series will be released on Netflix internationally and on CBS All Access for the USA. I probably will not subscribe to CBS All Access. Any idea if the show is supposed to make it to Netflix for US viewers?

14. dkmonroe

I suspect that it will eventually - the standard Netflix practice is that a series airs on its regular network, then if it gets renewed for a second season, the first season drops onto Netflix. Or if the whole thing tanks after Season 1, then Season 1 appears on Netflix shortly after conclusion. So if you don't get CBS All Access, you'll probably have to wait at least a year to see it on Netflix.

There may also be an option to buy episodes on Amazon - I don't know if that's been confirmed or denied.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  15. I have to disagree. Retro is cool, and a lot of people would watch. Evidence the warm reception given to the updated SFX of the TOS Blu-rays.

16. Thanks. I am a Prime member so hopefully I could watch that way.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Depends on what you didn't like about Into Darkness. If it was just the canon shenanigans (white Khan) and such that bothered you, then you'll probably like Beyond.

I did. 'twas fun :D

dougotte and Encuentro like this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I like Into Darkness, but the film would have worked better if Benedict Cumberbatch had remained John Harrison, a rogue Starfleet officer. Cumberbatch's performance was brilliant, in my opinion.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

21. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

well - the transporter room looks like something inside a Tardis - this gets more and more random ...

sunspot42 and Deesky like this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You're conflating reality (1966 production values) with fiction (the aesthetic of the show itself). No one is expecting a carbon-copy replica of TOS, but a similar aesthetic could have been used with better detailing and other visual tweaks that would still make it look substantial and 'modern'. For example, Rouge One did a pretty decent job in matching the original Star Wars aesthetic, so you knew they belonged to the same universe. This Trek looks like it belongs in the alt-universe.

That's the old "it's just a TV show" argument - who cares what they do? Well, it matters to many it seems. If you're going to go so far from what we've seen before, why have it be a TOS prequel??? Just pick a different timeline and be done with it (and avoid all the hate mail).

Billy Budapest and sunspot42 like this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As things stand now, Discovery will not be on Netflix USA. It was part of the deal they did with Netflix that Netflix would have global streaming rights except in the US, where CBS-AA would have sole streaming rights. CBS wants to become a force in streaming and they need this show to make a splash.

I say 'as things stand now' because if the show fails to gain traction for CBS-AA, there may have to reluctantly make other plans, either go oldschool broadcast or Netflix. However, I think this is unlikely because thanks to the Netflix deal, the show is already profitable for CBS.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I would be fine with all of that. However, there are quite a number of possible variables. For instance, do all ships in the TOS timeline look the same? We don't know. Are these some kind of experimental starships associated with some kind of secret organization such as Section 31 Are there other perfectly logical explanations for the differences in ship designs and technology? We don't know the answers to these questions either. We've only seen a microscopic portion of the 15 hours that are yet to come in this season alone.

I agree that it matters to many, but I reckon that a far larger number, the relatively silent majority that will make up the majority of Discovery's viewers, are indifferent.

25. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

Im sure the kids will like it - it looks like something that would air next to The Flash or Riverdale or all those CW shows - of course - they could have just called this something entirely different - the kids would still like it...and Star Trek would still be.....Star Trek - I imagine in the future at some point - there will be a regular/canonical Star Trek show that will air - and this will be looked at "that weird series that stuck out like a sore thumb" - like the 1985 season of SNL or something - heh - or at least I can dream...