David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

in all seriousness there's a ton of stuff for that box as we enter the horrors of the 12" remix era, in addition to the officially released Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider tour documents (a few Serious Moonlight tracks have been issued on recent 40th anniversary and exhibition singles, so it's all but certainly been prepped for release). include the aborted "Dance" album and it'll be packed solid even without Tin Machine. whether the market for it extends beyond completists is another matter of course.

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm a big admirer of Tin Machine, so that's a draw for whatever box it ends up in. Oh Vey Baby isn't very good, but there's a VHS tape of a live performance in Japan which is excellent, and was released on CD by a no-name label. An official inclusion of that would be great. But then, as I type that, I realize that including things that weren't originally released isn't going to happen in these sets, so.....

Jet Age Eric and e.s. like this.
  3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

... Yes, back to square one: waiting so long, I've been waiting so, waiting so .... long

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  4. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Not true after The Gouster included those early versions and outtakes. I'm trying to rack my brain(s?) to figure out which lovely unreleased surprise could be included on this box. The only thing I can think of is the thing that nobody thinks will ever be released. Need to do more racking.

e.s. likes this.
  5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

the live Oy Vey Baby video/laserdisc release from Hamburg Docks would be more likely as it received an official release. same title as the live album but from a single concert.

6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

As long as they can find the master for Baby Universal. I can't abide the way they used the studio version in the film!

7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Still holding out hope...

8. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yikes...If Let's Dance, Tonight, and Never Let Me Down are in this set, I won't be getting it.

9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Are they selling single lp's from the two previous box sets?

10. davers

davers Forum Resident

The potential of an 80s era box sounds pretty awesome to me...I love Bowie's 80s stuff and also have a bunch of 12" singles from the era I'd like to see compiled in a box. If it kicked off with Scary Monsters, all the better!

scobb likes this.
  11. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

If we're talking SM I think it fits with the 70s Berlin era box. Visconti produced it and it's as good as his 70s albums. Even the sleeve has a montage of his 70s album covers - it's got the sequel to Space Oddity (even though that was 60s) and It's No Game was a rehashed Tired Of My Life from 1970.

The 80s box has got to start with Let's Dance and end with his death and rebirth with Tin Machine at the end of the 80s.

It can be titled "God Only Knows 1983-1992"

12. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

That would be ok by me.
    Agree regarding SM. I think the 80's box should be "Shake It 1983-1987" and a dedicated TM box, "You Belong in Rock'n'Roll 1989-1992".

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The non-exclusive stuff can be bought everywhere. For the "fan bait" stuff you need dealers that have broken up a box.

14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Agreed but they did leave the truncated 1983 mix 0f Ziggy Motion Picture out of the 5 Years box :confused:

15. NightGoatToCairo

I'd rather a stand alone Tin Machine box.

jimhb and Jet Age Eric like this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I'd buy that.

PJayBe likes this.
  17. NightGoatToCairo

I saw it first!
    Don't tell anyone... but I got into Bowie through Tin Machine. True story.

oldturkey, Jet Age Eric and e.s. like this.
  18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

That's not a bad thing!

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  19. NightGoatToCairo

"I must be only one in a million!"

e.s. likes this.
  20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Shall I signal Blammo that we're ready, set, go for the press release now ? :p

21. NightGoatToCairo

Yes. Smoke signals from Smokey's in Rembrandtplein will do the trick.

22. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I think the press release for this set should be done by Visconti and Iggy Pop live streaming from 155 Hauptstrasse in Berlin.

NightGoatToCairo and LesMcQueen like this.
  23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes, very true. perhaps because it was first released 10 years after the event it's easier to erase from history? but Stage was released mid-tour i think, and is different enough to warrant inclusion i would hope.

24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

To be honest, I really do think that the gameplan was changed a bit when Bowie died.
    The "Who Can I Be Now?" collection was originally going to be called something else ("Golden Years"???).
    That, or maybe the contents simply wasn't decided upon when he died?

It seems 'spotty' that they suddenly decided to include the 2 'David Live' records, when they didn't include both 'Ziggy Stardust' soundtrack versions.

oldturkey likes this.
  25. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i think the Golden Years title was simply assumed by fans to follow Five Years, but it would have been lazy and hard to follow up.
    as i've said too often, the only thing consistent with Bowie's release program is the inconsistency. perhaps one day a label will show him the respect he deserves.