6/25/1967--Fabs--50 Years & "ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE" Live Broadcast --Where Were You?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    US picture sleeve

Wikipedia:

Our World was the first live, international, satellite television production, which was broadcast on 25 June 1967. Creative artists, including The Beatles, opera singer Maria Callas, and painter Pablo Picasso—representing nineteen nations—were invited to perform or appear in separate segments featuring their respective countries. The two-and-half-hour event had the largest television audience ever up to that date: an estimated 400 to 700 million people around the globe watched the broadcast. Today, it is most famous for the segment from the United Kingdom starring the Beatles. They performed their song "All You Need Is Love" for the first time to close the broadcast.

------------------------------------------------------------
    With all the SPLHCB 50th anniversary box set talk and all how could I've almost forgotten this day in June of the same year. Only about three weeks later.
    Just looking back at this historical broadcast 6/25/1967. From the Fabs to the orchestra through the TV cameras this live event would be viewed by over 400,000,000--700,000,000 people worldwide. A staggering amount for technology of the time.

Great albums would follow for the remainder of the 60's. To me this video is kind of sad because the Fabs were at their hight of creativity and popularity. They would never be at this stage of their careers ever again.

What were you doing? Watching it on tv live? At your home or at a friend's?
    Share your experience, if you weren't born yet what are your thoughts of this historical performance by the Fabs. All You Need Is Love captured the times brilliantly. Love love love, psychedelia was all the rage summer 1967, the Beatles didn't start psychedelia but they sure represented it in a big way.

The Our World Global Satellite Broadcast

Watching this video below I wish John and George were still around with George Martin on hand so that now in their 70's the Fabs could do this again via satellite and internet this June 25th 2017 again as a 50th anniversary tribute. As a fanasty performance like this would be a much positive message to send through out the world with all the political turmoil going on now. Telling ya I miss John and George big time. :cry:

2. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I was in the UK and watched it live on TV. I was 13 (2 months away from 14). My dad worked for an oil company and was transferred to London to manage at project. I remember that it was cool to see The Beatles perform live.

3. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Probably outside playing WiffleBall

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was 9 that Summer. Unlike my lifetime-memory of watching that very first Sullivan appearance a little over three years earlier, this event totally went by me..I had no awareness of it, whatsoever. Bummer on moi. But I do have many memories of walking down the suburban main street and hearing AYNIL blaring out of people's transistor radios..so *that* memory , at least, sticks

5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I was finishing my first year of teaching and watched it from home on TV - IIRC!

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

7. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

I was three years old. I don't remember anything of that, I do not even know for sure whether It was broadcasted live in Spain or not. If so, It should have been in B/W. Color didn't arrive until around 1975 I think. It was then a grey country.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

My parents didn't even met each other at that time

stef1205, rxcory, RudolphS and 3 others like this.
  9. OK, I have a good idea what it was like to see it in Australia back then (my mother was 11 back then, my father 10) because the ABC, in 1987, played a Beatles special on their (then new) music program "rage" and when it came to this song, all they had was an old film recording of the broadcast (Americans: Kinnescope)(UK: Telerecording) so at that time I got to see it looking the same as people had seen it in 1967, except the film was probably very scratched as well if their copy of "Crackerbox Palace" is anything to go by!

10. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I was 15. I watched it live. I was waiting to see if they could pull it off. Their career had been so brilliant up until that point I was sure the veneer would crack. But it didn't! It was brilliant!

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I was gestating.

My parents had done the love part about two months earlier.

12. xios

xios Senior Member

Watched it live with a tape recorder running.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hahahahaha!!:laugh:

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Nice!!:righton:

15. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Sat impatiently watching the whole early Sunday evening Our World broadcast whilst waiting for the Beatles to appear

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The Australian contribution was something like trams in Melbourne - not quite as exciting as The Beatles performing live!

17. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Hey, me too. I know my Mum watched Magical Mystery Tour the week before I was born and I have wondered if that contributed to me liking the mop-heads. Mind you, she said it was rubbish - probably worked better where I was - I just heard the music and didn't have to watch it in black and white !

fogalu and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  18. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

good work.

19. I was born in 1982, 15 years too late. But I have asked my parents if they had seen the broadcast. My dad's reply was they didn't have television until spring 1968, my mother couldn't remember seeing it.

20. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I would have been six months old. I doubt my parents saw it though, even if they were watching they'd have been completely unmoved.

My Mum, when questioned, remembers seeing The Beatles on the TV though. "They did this dreadful song that Paul McCartney sang and it went on and on, it was awful". That song..... 'Hey Jude' on the David Frost show.

21. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I was 13 at the time. I remember anxiously waiting for the Beatles to come on (no DVR or VCR back then). Unlike today where music stars are all over TV, internet and social media, an appearance by the Beatles on TV (especially live) was rare and to be treasured. I was in heaven watching this! It was just over too quick!

22. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I had zero awareness of the broadcast until a couple months after it happened, reading about it in fan magazines. If it aired live on Boston television back then, I totally missed it.

23. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Not even a glimmer in me mum's eye...

24. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I was a 21 year old in lodgings and I watched it in a big basement kitchen-cum-dining room. The few people who watched it with me were much older and had no interest in the Beatles.

I shudder to think what the black and white TV reception must have been like - but all I can remember is waiting for the Beatles to come on - and enjoying it.

Incidentally, I still can't figure out how John could sing so well with a mouth full of chewing-gum!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  25. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Kraftwerk is still touring as a band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.