Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Firehead, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I have the 10.2's paired with the Onkyo 9010. I had a pair a few years ago which I returned because of sibilance but now I know it wasn't the speakers. I got a Nad 316bee cd player and 95% of the sibilance is gone now.

Gizmo90 and patient_ot like this.
  2. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

I got a pair of Diamond 220s. Love my Wharfedale speakers!!!

Chrome_Head and Firehead like this.
  3. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Suggestions to spend more than budget appear in every thread stating a budget. It's always easy to spend someone else's money.

4. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident Thread Starter

What was causing the sibilance in your system?

5. Firehead

Id say my budget is about three hundred. Most of my money goes to student loans :cussing:
    But I only became interested in the 10.2s because I have heard many great things about them and because they are on sale. If only increasing my budget to 400 for way better speakers then sure no problem.

H8SLKC likes this.
  6. Firehead

Wunderbar! What speakers were you using prior to the upgrade? What is your opinion on the a9010?

7. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

It had to be my old cd player. A Yamaha. As soon as I hooked up the Nad the difference was dramatic.

8. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

A pair of vintage Dynaco A25 speakers. I still enjoy them but the Wharfedale speakers are giving out a fuller sound and a lot more controlled bass. Also, the Diamonds are sounding good on nearly everything that has come out of them while the Dynaco speakers sound good on some recordings and dull, less detailed on others.

I think the 9010 is a great budget integrated amp. And it handles the Diamond 10.2s very well. I hardly have to turn up the volume to get a decent level. I also like having the option for tone controlled or direct listening. And the loudness option is really nice for late night listening. The remote control is disappointing as it is too directional sensitive.

In no way do I think the 9010 is the end all of integrated amps but for the price it's hard to complain. I had also been looking at the NAD C316BEE integrated amp but decided against it since I wanted the digital optical and coaxial inputs. The NAD D3020 was another interesting option since I'm using a stand alone phono preamp. However, I figured if my phono preamp ever needed repair, I would have the Onkyo built in as a backup. Without hearing the NAD D3020, I have no idea if I made the right decision. Though, I figure with the gear I own at the moment, the amp is the one element that intrigues me the most to experiment.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  9. Firehead

Just pulled the trigger on the 10.2s. I should be getting them next week. Very excited indeed!

10. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Let's us know how you like them and of course include pics. Also congrats! :3

Firehead likes this.
  11. Firehead

Just got an email from Amazon informing me my order was canceled due to a techinal error. I am dissapointed for sure.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You could try redoing the order through Music Direct instead of going through Amazon.

13. Firehead

I can but i have the amazon card so i would of had six months to pay it. Music direct also emailed me to say the item was on backorder. Im not sure what that means as i thought the 10.2s was discontinued. I could also just order the black speakers instead of rosewood.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd ask them if they actually expect to get more in. You could be waiting on backorder indefinitely.

Firehead likes this.
  15. Helom

Helom Forum member

Sounds like a good excuse to move up the chain :D

Firehead likes this.
  16. Firehead

Sooo the diamond 220? Ive read many great things about the new elac speakers.

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Don't click on anything on that email and delete it ASAP. Log in to Amazon to confirm the status of your order. :)

Firehead likes this.
  18. Firehead

I logined into my account to check tracking and my speaker purchased had been removed. Then i checked my email and found the cancelation message. Music direct also contacted me as they were the seller on amazon. I guess they just had the incorrect qty listed. However music direct said the item is on backorder. I replied for restock confirmation.

bluemooze and patient_ot like this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

RE: the Diamond 220, a friend has a set and likes them, but said that my 10.2s have better bass response. Some members here thought the 220s sounded better, others thought they sounded worse. The 10.2s are rear ported (need to be away from the wall) but the 220s are not (can be closer to a wall).

RE: Elac B5/B6, I was all set to buy a pair and they were out of stock when I was ready to buy. I ended up buying the 10.2s instead for that reason. Some people have mentioned that the Elacs sound too dark with rolled off treble in some systems. I don't like speakers like that, so I'm kind of glad I didn't buy them. Cabinet resonances (excessive) were/are also a problem in some systems.

At the end of the day, nothing beats trying a set of speakers for yourself. Whatever you buy, return them if you are not happy before the return window closes.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  20. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

I recently bought a pair of 10.2s and I love them (previously owned 10.1). I have a modest system (by this forum's standards, anyway) and listening space but I am more than satisfied with my purchase.

Freebird, SpeedMorris and patient_ot like this.
  21. Firehead

I went back to MD website and noticed the rosewood speaker has a ship estimate of 4 to six weeks. So maybe its just a question of importing the speakers. I want these i had my heart set on them.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Marcmusic

Marcmusic Forum Resident

That's interesting. I have the BS22 speakers. My first speaker purchase! I've thoroughly enjoyed but upgrade at some point. I assumed the Wharfdale's would be a significant improvement. They were on my list of possible replacements.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There is never any guarantee that by spending more money, you will like something better. You might, you might not. Speakers are very much a personal taste thing and nothing beats an in-home audition. This is why a good return policy is important to have.

Helom, andybeau, JoshM and 1 other person like this.
  24. Firehead

Per my conversation with a sales representative at MD these speakers will not be restocked. They did however offer me a special discount on any speaker. I guess within the same price range.
    I think I'm just going to get the black Diamond 10.2.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

Any updates?

While I was enjoying the 10.2s, I decided to test out a few more speakers before making a final decision. So far, I have demo the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, Wharfedale Diamond 220, Focal Chorus 705, and the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.