The Greatest American Rock Band Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JosephRose, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Compared to some of the answers I'm seeing in this thread, they make a hell of a lot more sense.

Have a nice day :cool:

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  2. LoudNoises

LoudNoises New Member

Velvet Underground

jmczaja and rockerreds like this.
  3. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

This right here summarizes my thoughts as well. So much arguing about what influence means and whether or not longevity is important. I like what I like and if others do or don't, I really don't care. The ones I like are the greatest for ME and that's enough. Trying to rank art is a pointless exercise as we see here in this thread. No one is going to be swayed by attempting a logical argument against taste. It just doesn't work that way.

4. JL7

JL7 Forum Resident

Not seeing any previous mentions, so Sonic's Rendezvous Band.

[​IMG]

And, in my mind, by a monstrous margin.

zphage and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. The Beatles. So what if they weren't actually American, that's always the right answer around here.

goat65cars and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  6. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I was thinking about this very subject today and my pick would be a less-than-likely popular one here, Dinosaur Jr

LONGEVITY
    Dinosaur has been around since 1984 and still going strong 33 years later.

CREATIVE VITALITY
    Dinosaur's catalogue reveals a strength in great song writing, superb chops, excellent cohesion between band members, and maturing and changing rather than stagnation.

LIVE PERFORMANCE:
    Without a doubt one of rock's best live bands ever. "Live in the Middle East" and "Bug Live at the 9:30 Club" attest to that.

EXPERIMENTATION/RISK TAKING:
    Listening to Dinosaurs catalogue reveals rich rewards in pushing the limits and J's has long mastered a tasteful use of a broad spectrum of effects, and a unique use of dynamics. Lou Barlow contributes much in the way of experimentation with some of his more unusual compositions. Murph is amazing.

GREAT MUSIC

Undeniable.
    As Mike Watt put it, "This is a band I've always dug. Why? 'Cause they're smokin'! Still kickin' like Kato."
    Yep!

Edit: And to my way of thinking, you can replace the word "American" with "world's" in the thread heading!

ianuaditis, lucan_g and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Lol correct.
    And hey, Capitol was an American label.

8. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

To me influence and impact goes beyond inspiring other bands; my criteria includes impact on people in general and how an artist influences their lives and the population at large. Bands might love VU but they didn't reach the general population, were unknown and had no hits. I don't mean sales are the barometer..I mean impact on the most people. So I would say The Beach Boys. A zillion bands were/are influenced by them and they reached and touched the most people.

oldsurferdude and ianuaditis like this.
  9. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

That is both true and depressing
    Very depressing
    The Eagles could be the worst band of all time
    I think The Velvet Underground The Flying Burrito Brothers and the New York Dolls are the most influential bands of all time regardless of nationality outside of black musicians
    It has to be Creedance The Byrds or the Beach Boys as much as I love the above 3 and The Band of course are Canadian

trumpet sounds likes this.
  10. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

The first 3 plus The Kinks absolutely
    But

Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin can't play
    Ranking around The Eagles as the worst bands of all time
    Just my view though and I did have the misfortune to see Led Zepplin in the early 70's
    Still remember how awful they were

11. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Beatles only lasted 8 years
    I think popularity is irrelevant otherwise record companies would just list sales charts and the argument would be over
    It's good to argue about these things and I enjoy it even though I don't like most of the music that is so popular beyond the 70's
    Nobody should be offended because someone thinks their favourite band is awful or even worse never heard of them

12. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

With influence I'd say The Band are up there as one of the most important American groups (yes they're mostly Canadian, but their music is pure American)

My three picks for greatest American bands would be Grateful Dead, Beach Boys, and The Band. With the three greatest American albums being American Beauty, Pet Sounds, and The Band (self titled)

But that's just my opinion.

ianuaditis, trumpet sounds and JimW like this.
  13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

The Velvet Underground (1966-70) and Pere Ubu (1975- ).

Matthew B. and trumpet sounds like this.
  14. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Funkadelic is the best American rock band.

15. Jan & Dean weren't the first rock band with horns either.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Byrds, if for no other reason than Eight Miles High.

The Beach Boys.

Buddy Holly and the Crickets/the Picks.

(The best groups seem to start with a B.)

17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Repeat after me: The Temptations

zphage, ianuaditis and DRM like this.
  18. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Here they are:
    [​IMG]

19. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

The Grateful Dead have a strong claim on the throne IMO. I would definitely consider them the quintessential American band, if not the greatest. They are not one of my favorite bands, and, while I prefer bands such as The Byrds, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, and The Doors, but it makes more sense to me to say the Grateful Dead.

20. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Lynyrd Skynyrd!

Dave Hoos and zphage like this.
  21. [QUOTE="keyse1, post: 16703850, member: 73945The Eagles could be the worst band of all time[/QUOTE]

Yes, The Eagles could be the worst band of all time. They aren't by any stretch of the imagination but they could be.

No Bull likes this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I remember having a conversation with a friend about Iron Maiden and how they are so quintessentially British. They asked who was the quintessential American band. My immediate reply without putting a lot of thought into it was Van Halen.

23. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

The original group for the worst possible reason doesn't meet the longevity standpoint, but for that brief shining moment when Steve Gaines came into the band and kicked everyone in the tail, I don't think there's been an American band before or since that could cut them at least live. That band doesn’t get its due because of the redneck shtick and because they're still out there slogging away with one real member.

Pouchkine likes this.
  24. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I got to go with the Byrds. But certainly could go with The Beach Boys...or REM... or CCR depending on what day you ask me...

Pearl Jam is a great great band though

Brian Lux likes this.
  25. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Easily The Doors.......the epitome of "rock" music.
    Jim was the coolest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.