Upgraded Cartridge from Ortofon 2M Blue to Bronze

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Veltri, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Very close with a 2mm rise and standard counterweight. In some cases it would require the tungsten smaller diameter Rega offering.

2. AmericanHIFI

4MM rise at the pivot end equates to approx 1 degree of change in SRA (on a 9 inch tonearm).
    When the cart rides tail down significantly (in this case-Shibata styli profile) you indeed end up with more bass, but also stylus in the groove position out of of spec and spectral balance sounding off (not to mention stylus doing the hula dance in the grooves).

3. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I appreciate the advice but it's all about opinions, I'm sure I read somewhere that Roy Gandy wasn't that obsessed with VTA. The Bronze doesn't have a Shibata stylus.

4. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Having tested the 2m bronze at both 2mm and 4mm on rega arms, I feel that it sounds best at 4mm. I keep the dust cover propped up using paper shims in the slots where the hinges connect with the plinth. I may buy the heavier counterweight, but I'm not sure whether it it will clear the cover with the arm raised 4mm. It would be nice if rega sold a taller dust cover.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  5. AmericanHIFI

That's because they were engineering their carts physically for the decks requirements.
    I am aware of what my cartridge's stylus is - nude fine line.
    I also have and use a 2M Black.

6. AmericanHIFI

Precisely, there's a man who understands. The small diameter tungsten counterweight most certainly cleats the dustcover when arm is lifted 4MM. I believe they offer a choice that is not considered heavyweight.

dbsea likes this.
  7. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Thanks, OP, for the review, which is partially responsible for my doing the same upgrade: Blue to Bronze. I had the same experience. How does it sound now that it's broken in?

First album I played after setup was The Nightfly (Robert Ludwig master on both sides). Oh My. Lots of things I hadn't noticed on this album I've been listening to for 30-plus years (the woman sighing during the intro to Ruby Baby)! More than worth the upgrade. Can't wait for the Bronze to reach its full potential.

If you're even thinking about this upgrade, just pull the trigger and worry later. You will get a good price and prompt delivery from the German seller you'll find on eB*y.

I'm selling the Blue on the classifieds here.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

I would say similar but if anything it's smoother. You get used to a sound after a while so the comparisons recede. I feel zero urge to upgrade. I noticed after a couple of months that it is less susceptible to skipping when walking away after placing the record, so the suspension probably needed breaking in.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    tvstrategies likes this.
  9. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

A Bronze has been my goal for some time, but it will have to wait until after my Europe trip this summer.

I started with a Blue on my Xpression III and loved it. The stylus wore out, but I could only afford a 2M Silver with spare stylus for dirt cheap from Needle Doctor. It is a step down from what I had--no doubt--but a guy has got to play records! I look forward to the Bronze very, very much.

Thank your for the review and follow-up!

10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Nice thread been wondering about this myself. I currently use a blue and have loved it for 2.5 years. To offset the wear on it I swap it out with a 440mla I really like. Also have a mlb replacement stylus waiting for it. Recently installed a AT150sa on a friends table and took it for a few spins on mine. I really loved it but I also missed my blue at times. So I am leaning towards a bronze now.

Anyone think a bronze on a mint and perfect MK5 and a lounge is sort of over reaching though? Would I be better off investing in a better table first ? If that's the case I may just get a blue replacement stylus for $140 but I'd like to take it a little further.

11. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Some may scoff, but my new Bronze is on a 1970s Dual 1219. It sounds great, and not a subtle change from the Blue.

dbsea likes this.
  12. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

You are correct. Having just received the tungsten counterweight today, I can confirm that with the RB303 raised 4mm, the dust cover closes with around a mm of clearance. Looks a bit nicer too, maybe.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  13. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.