Budget 3-speed record player? (UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hotdog, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotdog

Hotdog Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I mainly collect CDs/digital music at present but I have a small vinyl and shellac collection, which I would like to be able to play and transfer to my PC. It's been years since I was able to play the records. With the current vinyl revival there's obviously a lot of options available again. I came to the conclusion that it may be best to avoid the "all-in-one" players (CD, tape, radio, records...) as they don't seem to get good reviews. Better to have a separate CD player/radio, I suppose. So I'm looking for a model that can play 33/45/78 rpm discs, with speed adjustment - I have a 10" shellac record which is 80 RPM! I have a pair of external speakers, so I'm not worried about the sound of any "built-in" speakers being 'tinny' or inferior. I also want to be able to digitise the records in a lossless format, i.e. WAV. Most new models specify that they can record direct to MP3, but I wonder if you can change that. I suppose you can buy separate software/equipment.

There seem to be a couple of interesting models out there which might fit the bill:

Steepletone ST282 v2 Record Player Turntable - Upgraded Flip Stylus Version - Built in Amplifier & Speakers - TONE CONTROL & VARIABLE PITCH (DTL adapter included) - 3 speed: 33, 45 & 78rpm (flip stylus) - Black / Silver
    by Steepletone (DTL Package)
    Link: Steepletone ST282 v2 Record Player Turntable - Upgraded: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Steepletone Record Player Turntable + MP3 Recording & Playback (ST929 PRO 2015 / 2016 Model) - Remote Control - Stand Alone Music Player - Audio Built In Amplifier & Stereo Speakers -
    by Steepletone (DTL Package)
    Link: Steepletone black record player with one touch MP3: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Has anyone got any recommendations for a record deck which fits these criteria for under £100? I don't really want to spend any more than that at the moment. Would welcome any advice for models available in the UK please.

2. Hotdog

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The reality is that you get what you pay for and the deck you linked to is almost certainly a piece of plastic rubbish in the same league as a Crossley and not something you'd enjoy listening to, I think I've actually seen that model a couple of times at boot sales so not something people want to keep.

For under £100 you will need some patience and a lot of luck, but it can be done, get yourself a Goldring Lenco GL-75, the prices have gone up, but there are enough of them around that you can still get lucky, try charity shops and boot sales, ask around, the GL-75 will play pretty much any 78 made at the correct speed, connect it to a used amp with phono stage, assuming you don't have one and connect the tape out from the amp to the audio in on your computer, you can use free software such as Audacity to record. An adequate used amp with phono stage can be had for around £30, the necessary lead under £5, if you are lucky the deck will come with a decent stylus, if really lucky the cart will also accept a 78 stylus, getting a 78 stylus will really push your budget though. If the cart doesn't accept a 78 stylus then you will need a separate cart for 78s and are looking at another £70 plus. The GL-75 is definitely your best bet as it has infinitely adjustable pitch and even in the standard plinth sounds acceptable, plus you can still find them, but there are even cheaper alternatives such as Garrard SP 25s although they will not give you the option of 80rpm and are much poorer sounding than the GL-75.

Whatever you do please do not waste your money on the current crop of all in one decks they really are much worse than you can imagine and as a bonus may damage your records.

RONENRAY and Hotdog like this.
  4. Hotdog

Thanks for the tip. Bit disappointing to hear that about the new models, I just wonder if they can be that bad.

So basically your recommendation is to buy a vintage model and equip it. There is an old Hitachi in the family although it is only 2-speed alas. I gave up because the amp I had wasn't working. I see that the GL-75 does come up for prices around £100 or more on eBay. I suppose at a push I'd pay up to £150 for a decent model. I did consider buying an old Dansette type thing from the 1950s/60s but figure a proper deck I can attach speakers to is better. I might ask in a local audio shop about that Goldring and others.

It sounds as if not all GL-75 models have the facility to play 78s?

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Until I actually heard a Crossley I didn't know how bad a record deck could sound, these modern plastic decks really are rubbish.

The advantages of the Goldring GL-75 are:
    It's pretty good even in stock form.
    It can be massively upgraded.
    It will play 78s at any speed, so great for early discs, I've never seen one that can't play 78s.
    They were very popular and you can find them quite easily.
    Because they are common you can still find them cheap, I've seen one fully working for £50 in the last year. (Try boot sales, charity shops, family and friends)
    They were also re-badged and sold in cabinets and music centres, my brain isn't letting me recall the name though.
    You will be able to sell it on for at least what you pay.

Fully working Dansettes are now fetching serious money, their carts will ruin your records and don't sound great, also they don't all have an audio out connection.

You will need an amp with a phono stage to connect the GL-75 to, I see lots of cheap used amps around even pretty decent NADs for £30, again try boot sales, charity shops, family and friends, lots of people have old equipment in lofts and garages.

I think your biggest problem is going to be getting a cartridge that will also take a 78 stylus, something like an Ortofon OM would be great, maybe some of the Shures as well, but I'm not so familiar with those.

McLover, Hotdog and RONENRAY like this.
  6. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

I can also recommend you Goldring/Lenco 75, with some new oil and grease there are like new.
    There can be a problem with the V blocks from the tonearm , maybe you have to replace these.
    I'ts not diffucult to do this and you can find these on E bay.
    For all information of this turntables look at Lenco Heaven.

Hotdog likes this.
  7. Hotdog

Thanks for the info. I'll keep a look out. I seldom see record players of any kind in charity shops. The price seems reasonable if I can find a fully working Goldring. Getting a new cartridge is a bit off-putting and confusing... stuff like this is why I was keen on getting a brand new model. Surely if it plays 78s then the cartridge would be suitable for that.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The size of the grooves on 78s and on LPs are entirely different, if you play LPs with a 78 stylus it will destroy them whilst an LP stylus is far too small for the grooves on 78s.

9. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Ahoy Dubmart.

Possibly the name you were trying to recall was "Dynatron"??
    As in up-market '70's music centres, commonly equipped with GL75's & other Goldring variants

Dubmart likes this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think you have it, though the ones I've seen didn't look very upmarket, they must have looked old fashioned even when new, but it's always worth seeing what's in a cabinet as a cheap Lenco is a cheap Lenco whatever it's badged as, I always check in radiograms as well, no nice Garrards or Thorens so far though.

11. Hotdog

I know that 78s require a different needle for this reason. So does the GL-75 not come with a 'flip stylus'? You'd think if it played vinyl and shellac it would. I suppose I'd just have to buy a new cartridge.

12. Hotdog

13. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

Dual 1219 (early-'70s) or a Garrard SL-95 (1968). Both idler/rim drive, though; so, you'd have to inspect the condition of the rubber flywheel under the platter before buying (as: if it's out of round or gone hard, the speed will be wrong and the rumble excessive).

Hotdog likes this.
  14. Hotdog

Thanks for the tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.