Linda Ronstadt "Simple Dreams" 40th Anniversary Edition forthcoming! (09/15/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jun 4, 2017.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Just posted on Facebook (YIKES -- is it REALLY 40 years?!):

John Boylan's site says Rhino is reissuing a Simple Dreams 40th Anniversary edition.
    A release date of September 15, 2017 has been set by Rhino Entertainment for the 40th Anniversary Edition of Linda's multi-platinum album, "Simple Dreams."
    It will be made available on CD, vinyl, and Hi-res digital downloads, carefully remastered from the original analog tapes. The original packaging has been preserved, and an extra booklet, containing liner notes by producer Peter Asher, will be included. As a special addition in all formats, three bonus tracks will be included - watch this space for further details! Projects

art, Randoms, John Adam and 5 others like this.
  2. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

I want Hasten Down The Wind to be reissued with bonus tracks. my favorite Linda Ronstadt album.

3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Good news. But they should have expanded it with a live set too. Classic era for her live band.

clhboa, Record Rotator, JohnO and 2 others like this.
  4. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I know a SACD was planned some years back - perhaps even released, for all I know, though I never found one anywhere. I would like to see a SACD now. Even better; I´d like to HEAR a SACD version.

art and Pizza like this.
  5. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Didn't Analogue Productions release this about a year or two ago? I thought it was one of Doug Sax's last cuts before we lost him.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Jarleboy

Not to my knowledge. But I do hope you´re right! :righton:

FashionBoy likes this.
  7. Jarleboy

I checked, and it seems a "SIMPLE DREAMS" SACD was on the cards in 2015, but I don´t think it ever saw the light of day.

FashionBoy likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Analogue Productions did release it, but it was vinyl only.

FashionBoy and Jarleboy like this.
  9. Jarleboy

Too bad. A SACD version was featured in the catalogue, I read, but never released. I would love a SACD of this.

art, Dennis Metz and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

It's good news that this is being reissued, though I don't know how many more versions of Simple Dreams I need.:)

Am wary of the term 'carefully remastered'... I think we've all been burned by that one.:D

Wonder what the bonus tracks will be? That's the only point of interest for me at the moment.

Agree with @Jarleboy that a SACD would suffice. All her 'big' 70s albums should be on SACD, in fact.

heartbreaker, bluemooze, art and 3 others like this.
  11. Jarleboy

Amen!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I'm guessing that the bonus tracks might be: 1. Blue Bayou - Spanish Version, 2. "Tumbling Dice" FM Movie Live Version, 3. "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" FM Movie Live Version. Its a pity that they aren't including the Live Video from the Atlanta Fox that they shot. She had her best band on that tour

13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Hopefully Rambler Gambler will be on it. It was done for the SD sessions but didn't surface until released as the b-side for How Do I Make You. Given that it was recorded for Simple Dreams and not Mad Love it would make sense to put it on this release.

14. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

More Linda, always a good thing!

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes, and 45 rpm release sounds really amazing.

FashionBoy likes this.
  16. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Seriously, a 40th anniversary reissue of a terrific album and all they could come up with is a measly three bonus tracks and an extra booklet? Why not a superdeluxe box set, with CD1 containing an original album remastered, CD2 with non-album tracks, demos and outtakes, CD3 and CD4 containing the audio (remixed from the multitracks) of a complete concert from the tour promoting the album, and a Blu-ray disk containing the original stereo mix in hi-res, a new hi-res 5.1 surround mix, and a concert video? Why not give Linda Ronstadt fans something to get excited about?

17. Bobby Morrow

Yes, that does sound great. I like the Blu Ray bit.:)

Steel Horse likes this.
  18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I actually prefer no bonus tracks, unless they're on a separate disc. When the last track of the original album ends, I don't want alternate versions to start playing. I'd buy a set with the original tracks and a video disc.

Fender Relic, ego1jr and Porkpie like this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

When the book came out and news of her illness I expected the record companies to "cash in", which they didn't. Considering she was up there with the likes of Springsteen, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac in the 70s, early 80s I can't understand why we don't at least have a vinyl boxset of the studio albums on Asylum and a CD boxset of remastered albums with bonus discs (like the ones she put on her one boxset). As she will sadly never record again it would be great to a see a career defining comprehensive boxset of everything she recorded/released as a solo artist (guest spots would be a nightmare to collect together - although worth it!!)

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

The 2010 MFSL gold disc is excellent but the original Asylum is essentially just as good. The comment about being wary of phrases like "carefully remastered from the original analog tapes" is indeed warranted, especially when we already have wonderful-sounding options on CD. I might bite on the vinyl though, depending on sound quality reviews.

21. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Hallelujah! Can't wait. :D

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

I prefer the original CD to the MOFI...The latter sounds muffled to me.

I have a Japanese MLPS remaster from 2011 that's pretty good too.

Instant Karma and Jarleboy like this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious how it sounds compared to an original?

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Sorry, but I don't have an original to compare it with. My ears do like it more than my MFSL copy though.

25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Off topic but is your avatar an album by Haley Reinhart? I really enjoyed her on Idol several years ago.