And now for something completely different: Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares on KEXP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Freedom Rider, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member Thread Starter

These voices are not of this world! Words fail to describe the beauty of this.

Cheers, @delmonaco ! :cheers:

2. Freedom Rider

3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

That's pretty cool Freedom Rider, thanks for posting. And there's a Beatle connection: George Harrison played some of this choir on his Rockline (radio show) appearance circa 1988.

Freedom Rider and delmonaco like this.
  4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Im sure there must be another Beatles connections. Didn't the Beatles sing Bulgarian as first band ever? And didn't they learn a whole nation somewhere in South-East Europe to speak a new language called Bulgarian? And are there no Bulgarians living in Liverpool because of George hiring some Bulgarian workers once for constructing his house? And didn't the Beatles had the idea to call one of their albums differently, to be precisely 'Bulgarian Mystery Tour' but the had to change that name because of Le Mystere Des Bulgares who found both names too simular?

My God..... some Beatles fans....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  5. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

These ladies are quite something. Hard to find the right words, actually.

bleachershane likes this.
  6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Friend of mine is in the Bulgarian choir in London. Just her singing alone is pretty powerful, but the whole choir is mesmerising.

Sandy Denny loved Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares - you can hear it on the version of 'The Quiet Joys Of Brotherhood' on Sandy

Freedom Rider likes this.
  7. I saw them perform at a church a couple blocks from my apartment about a decade ago. "Mesmerizing" is a good word to describe their performance. There were a lot of Bulgarians there too, oddly enough.

Freedom Rider and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Bulgarian choral music has been rediscovered by the West several times. A collection was very popular in Laurel Canyon at its peak, and their harmonies were a significant influence on Crosby, Still and Nash. My wife and I have seen them live several times, most memorably at a Bulgarian church in Chicago, St. John of Riglia. We got front pew, dead center, and the choir was arranged in a semicircle not more than 15 feet from us. We were both moved to tears at several points.

Freedom Rider likes this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I believe, you can hear him trying to play one of their songs on the "Fly On The Wall" disc of "Let IT Be..Naked"!

forthlin likes this.
  10. vince

I'd say the only person in the 'rock/pop world' that come CLOSE to this is
    Elizabeth Fraser!
    [​IMG]

11. Freedom Rider

Here's the video of the full performance

bleachershane and vince like this.
  12. vince

Watching this now.....
    GOOSEBUMPS all over my arms and legs!

13. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I would be very interested to know more about (a) what was that particular collection they were listening to in Laurel Canyon, and (b) what was the first time this music was promoted to, and heard by, the West?

I first heard about this music from the Nonesuch compilation in 1987, in college radio, but I remember that there were a few older folks I encountered at the time who were already hip to it, although no one that I knew personally had any actual recordings of them prior to the Nonesuch album, which I encountered when I was kicking around in college in the mid '80s, but was hanging out with an older, hipper, very worldly crowd of folks that were older than myself. But I remember a small handful of those older folks already "knew about it" and knew what it was, they had heard it before somewhere, while the rest of us were getting our minds blown by the Nonesuch comp.

Chris DeVoe and vince like this.
  14. vince

This was my introduction to it, too.
    But, if I'm remebering correctly, the English label, 4AD put out a version of it, with a more 'hip' cover that the Nonesuch version.

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Lisa Gerrard gets closer, but the real thing beats both Fraser and Gerrard, as I'm sure they would be willing to agree. Of course, Trio Bulgarka (who sang with Kate Bush) popularised the same style.

bleachershane and bluemooze like this.
  16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

17. Chris DeVoe

18. Chris DeVoe

OK, back at my apartment, and typing on a proper keyboard.

It was Nash who wrote in his autobiography Wild Tales about the Bulgarian influence on CSN harmonies. The record he and the rest of the Laurel Canyon crowd was into was the 1955 Music of Bulgaria, which he was actually introduced to by Paul Simon in 1966. Nash said he gave away more that 300 copies of this album to friends.

This is my favorite piece of Bulgarian singing, and usually makes me spontaneously start weeping:

Forum Member Robin L is the real Bulgarian music expert.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Freedom Rider and Vanja like this.
  19. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Yes, when I went looking for the album back then, the copy I found (Tower Records, if I remember correctly) was the 4AD edition. I just looked at it and it's an MPO pressing.

20. It might be less compelling if you understood Bulgarian, though. I recall reading translations of some of the songs off the two Mystere albums and several of them touched on such transcendent subjects as milking cows and doing the chores.

21. vince

...doesn't matter..... so freakin' beautiful!

22. Chris DeVoe

I've avoided reading those and just let the music move me.

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Sadly, I think he has been gone from the Forum for some time.

24. Chris DeVoe

That's a shame. Well, if you want to explore the music, search Bulgaria and his handle and you'll find a lot of great information about western groups using Bulgarian harmonies like Kitka and the Pennywhistlers

One warning - you will learn the meaning of the term "Balkanization" if you dive into discussions of this music. I have a few videos of Bulgarian music up on YouTube, and not a week goes by when I don't see someone stirring crap up in the comments section about who did what to whom five hundred years ago. It's depressing.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  25. Chris DeVoe

...and cute boys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.