Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What we need now are comparisons. How do these new pressings compare to the picture discs - and in the case of "BNW" the "exclusive" black vinyl editions.

What I really wanna know: Am I good with my "AMOLAD" picture disc or do I need the new edition. Mastering wise.

I won't sell the pic disc anyway because I think the Eddie of that period is so foking cool. Love the 2006 "soldier skull" design, it's foking classy. Even though my girlfriend was NOT amused when I suggested having it tattooed.

johnny q and Grow Fins like this.
  2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

There is no comparison to the pic discs - as in it's not even close.

Put that in a frame and put the black vinyl on your turntable.

Seriously.

3. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

I'm just listening to the Dance of Death iTunes version samples online and they sound so much better than I remember the original CD sounding - I've just ordered the vinyl and looking forward to rediscovering this one as the original mix always let this one down for me.

4. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

To finish the Powerslave topic, the replacement copy I received is also stained and with a long deep scratch across Aces High and 2 Minutes To Midnight. So I'm done with this particular reissue I guess.

5. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

That's a shame. Seems weird how that 'fault' has plagued this particular release. I would have thought by now it would be on it's 2nd or 3rd re-press and for the oily surface to remain is a real mystery. Never seen this on any other LP I've got.

6. 16s

16s Forum Resident

AMOLAD washed ok. Listened to the first disc last night. It's not noise free on lead ins and quiet passages but it's not that bad. The remastered sound is interesting though- the highs have been excited compared to the original and I don't like that the mids have been reduced. Bruce's vocals are somewhat buried.

7. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Optimal seems to have these rare issues with vinyl formulation from what I gather. I've got an LP pressed there at 1998 which is black at one place and then starts to gradually discolour clockwise until it reaches the black area again. This is only on one side and radially the colour is consistent. Plays good.
    The stained Powerslave is not an issue too soundwise, just strange. I will assemble one copy from two I have just to complete the box and move on.

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

:thumbsdow

9. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I got DoD and RiR last night. Skipped AMOLAD because I have the picture disc. I think I'll go grab that one today!

Started DoD last night. Love it...sounds great (my 'system' is garbage FYI). I'm going to sell that Pic Disc of AMOLAD.

10. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I sold my pic discs - paid for these and more!

11. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

You say that and I get why (picture discs being noisy) but the thing is, I'm sure the original press contains the original ''mixdown'' mastering, with very good dynamic range, whereas the new re-issue will feature a complete remaster with added compression.

The original album was never actually mastered, it featured the final mixdown as it's master. CD & Vinyl likely share that same mastering. That picture disc is the original pressing and if I had it myself, I wouldn't sell it unless I desperately needed the cash. It'll only go up in value in future years.

rubberhead, metalrules and Neonbeam like this.
  12. Neonbeam

That's what I thought, "AMOLAD" might just be the album where the picture disc might become collectable. Well.... more collectable.

But you answered my question, I'm going to open mine and if it is noisy I'm getting the new pressing. Amazingly there seems to be no consensus about the sonics, some people - including a friend whose opinion I value - claim these are poor, others say they sound fine. So either these picture discs vary wildy in quality or it does have to do with the individual setup.

13. obi

obi Forum Resident

I don't get it. What's the value of a noisy picture disk that features the exact same master (or in this case "final mix down") as the original CD. Anybody looking for the best sounding version would surely go for the CD in that case...

14. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

My picture discs of En Vivo and the compilation From Fear to Eternity sound surprisingly good - they are certainly listenable - I had to return my copy of Final Frontier though as it sounded terrible however I'm wondering if my at440mlb which I've upgraded to may have tracked it better than my old stylus.

Szeppelin75 and Neonbeam like this.
  15. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Well, I don't own it myself so I'm only assuming it'll come from the same master as the original CD. Either way, the picture disc features a different master to this new re-issue, so it's unique. Plus it being a first press and long out of print, they're always more valuable down the line.

obi and Neonbeam like this.
  16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Anyone else finding these latest releases ridiculously noisy? Not the occasional light tick/pop...but crackling "fireplace" type noise. The intro to "No More Lies" for example is unlistenable - this after multiple cleanings. Some of the records are scuffed from the inner sleeves, but I can't imagine those scuffs having this type of adverse effect on the sound.

Shame...because I have been enjoying the sound quality thus far....

17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Do we have confirmation that the US are mpo and the EU are optimal like the last batch ?

18. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

My side 3 of Matter Life/Death had probs. But everything else really really quiet - so clean copies are out there.

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Well I bought the first wave of Maiden vinyl reissues, the picture disc variety, and the debut and killers sound great. I think the sources used for those pressings was good. Apart from the typical swooshing sound of picture disc vinyl, the sound is good.

Same with Maiden England 88, it's a picture disc but it actually sounds very good.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This is not what I would call encouraging news. Bummer.

johnny q and MadCajun like this.
  21. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Listening to BNW side one, up to know it's great

22. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

Just got Dance of Death and listening to side 1 - first thoughts were - wow this sounds pretty muggy so I dug out my CD and did a direct comparison switching between the two during Wildest Dreams. I've actually never listened to this on my main stereo before and it's a real hot mess on the CD mix - very loud as you would expect compared to the vinyl. The mugginess is really part of the general tone of the album, however the vinyl definitely sounds better with a clearer and sharper high end. It would be nice to have a more dynamic mix but it is certainly better than the CD. The pressing looks good - nice and flat and haven't had a single click or pop during the entire side and I didn't clean it before playing. On to side 2...

23. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

OK - just finished listening to the whole of Dance of Death - European pressing - the pressing was great - apart from right at the end of Journeyman on side 4 there are some nasty marks and it does result in some clicks for a few revolutions right at the end, it's not enough of an issue for me to return it as the rest of it is in great shape. The overall mix is ok - it's better than the CD but the mix still gets too busy in louder segments. The album itself is not one of my fave Maiden albums, after the brilliance of Brave New World this one was really a bit of a disappointment but it does have its moments.

ScaleTheInferno and Opeth like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Keep in mind that we are dealing with two pressings here, US and UK.
    Just finished the EU pressing, death quiet on all four sides. According to.... errr... Wiki the album was recorded on analogue tape?

The artwork.... the guy - David Patchett - who created it asked that his name was removed from the credits because Maiden went with an unfinished version. Which explains all the little mistakes....

Purple likes this.
  25. DoF

DoF Less is more...

BNW sound fantastic to these ears, very precise

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Jam757, johnny q and Purple like this.