Recommend me a power amp for my Rega Cursa 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marshall_SLX, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000 Thread Starter

As the title states. I have been searching for Exon 3s for a few months now and had no luck and i am sick of using my Mira 3 when i have the Cursa 3 just sitting there doing nothing (my Mira doesnt have power amp in). I dont want to spend a huge amount because when i do find Exons i will get them so keep recommendations to around $500 (used) and i am probably looking at a stereo power amp here.

Rotels circa 1990's come up all the time would that work ok? I want at least 70 watts per channel and will be sticking with solid state. At that price point i dont think i can get anything decent with tubes but if you reckon i can then please enlighten me.

Cheers.

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

For this purpose, I don't see what could be wrong with a Rotel power amp. The Kenwood Basic series was nice. And an Adcom like the GFA-5300 would do.

3. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Rega Maia 3. I have a spare one I could sell you in silver. It works great.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Cursa mates well with anything. I think it has three choices for gain structure, at least two. It has been a while since I used one but I drove different SS and tube power amps with it. I also used them with Rega amps including the mono blocks. The Cursa also accepts very nice internal phono cards, either MM or MC. Just be sure that whatever amp you choose has a warm sound as the Cursa is very transparent and you'll be a slave to the source without a touch of warmth from the amp or speaker choice.
    -Bill

McLover likes this.
  5. Marshall_SLX

I would take the Maia off you but im in Australia and by the time you factor in exchange rate, shipping and the need for me to get a stepup transformer its not cost effective. Maybe i should just hold out for Exons and be happy with the Mira for a bit longer as im happy with it but im just itching to hear the Cursa.

NOS300B likes this.
  6. Marshall_SLX

Well as fate would have it i just found a local dealer who has an ex demo Maia 3 for sale, wants $799. The RRP on the Maia 3 in Australia was $1,400 when new so its in the ballpark but i will call them tomorrow and try to talk them down because i know the Exons are a decent step up and i reckon fair used price on 2 exons in Aus is about 1K maybe slightly more.

NOS300B likes this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I am not a huge fan of the Mira, nor the Maia. They are OK, but are more finicky to mate speakers with than their other offerings. The new Brio and the Elex-R are easy to pair and sound great at very reasonable prices. The Cursa 3 with a rich and powerful power amp is at another level. The Exon 3 are miles ahead of the Maia. Since it is a local dealer and it is a used piece, maybe they would let you borrow it for a day? Or if your speakers are smaller, maybe bring those in for a listen? I think that if you did get the Maia and wasn't super impressed, it'd still be as good or better with the Cursa than the Mira, meaning that you could sell the Mira which would buy you more time to find a set of Exon 3. There aren't that many sets out there, so it could be that you find a really great amp from another make, maybe a tube amp (wink, wink... nudge, nudge) in the mean time.

Also, switching gears for a moment, you might want to rethink the overall plan here. You are looking at finding or buying some older product and not knowing the real use and or abuse that they have seen. Even if no abuse, age isn't always kind. It might be a good time to just visit the dealer and see what your Mira would be worth in trade towards a new Elex-R. That would get you a better amp, a newer amp, and a warranty.
    -Bill

8. Marshall_SLX

You are right Bill if i kept my Exact cart and Fono MM and sold everything else i could get about $3,500. Thats a brand new RP6 and and Elex R. Seems like a no brainer but i know i wont be able to settle long term with an RP6 especially with the new one coming out but i just couldnt wait had to scratch the itch. I have high hopes for this P5 i just bought has GT ref sub, GT counterweight, rewired incognito arm and MKII TTPSU. Only thing is none of it is installed (seller gave up, a sign perhaps haha) and i find myself wanting to add a double pulley and motor isolation to it (i would never consider installing any of that stuff on a brand new table except the subplatter). Anyway after all that it will come in at about $1900 ish installed (ide pay a tech to rewire the arm) and once i sell my P3 - 24 and TTPSU for around $700 ish its not a bad price (yes still not cost effective but i just have to hear it) and i just love the look of it. I have about $1,200 to spend on Exons which will make 2k for the Cursa3/exon3 combo and ide have to think that it would outdo the Elex R. So the system would be: fully tricked out P5>Exact>Fono MM MKII>Cursa 3>Exon 3s>Dali Zensor 7. All of which comes to $7,000, once the new P6 comes out ill flick the P5 (after comparison) return it to stock and sell all the upgrade bits separate to maximize return and get the new P6.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd skip all of that cosmetic stuff. You are talking about putting a lot of money into sideways parts swaps for a rather old deck. The Planar 6 will be better than that. The RP6 already is. When the P5 was introduced, it was pretty nice with the TT-PSU, and yeah, I like the look of the wood trim. Some folks don't though, and while it was lighter than the P3 of that era, it makes the plinth heavier than the RP6 and way heavier than the upcoming Planar 6. Basically, the RP6 was it's replacement, and now it is being replaced, so two generations of improvements to gain on the new model. It'll be out in just a month. If you want instant gratification and the best, latest product, I'd do the amp deal now and the turntable deal next. It'd be a total waste of money to rewire the old arm. As you suggest, the parts are better just sold as a kit. Better for someone else to waste time and money on that. The Planar 6 is so close to ready, it'll be out by the time you get used to the new amp.
    -Bill

10. Marshall_SLX

Yeah you are right i should get rid of it all, im a sucker for local forum impulse buys!!!!! One month on new P6 thats good to know. Have you got any comment on Cursa 3/Exon 3 vs the Elex R?

11. AndySC

AndySC Member

As a Rega Cura 3 owner, I can highly recommend Parasound A23 power amps as a great match. I have been waiting for Exon 3 power amps to become available, but they are so rarely on the market and quickly snapped up when they are. I have three A23s for triamping. They sound awesome, have great features (gain levels, daisy chain, single and balance connections, stereo/bridged mono), drive most speakers easily and are very affordable. Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.