POLL: Tom Petty VS. Springsteen - Who Writes/Sings Slow Songs Better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron13a

Ron13a Forum Resident

Somebody mentioned Thunder road. That song is disqualified for two reasons:
    1. It isn't a slow song.
    2. Although the first few lines are BRILLIANT! He says to the girl "you ain't a beauty but hey you're alright". That's a horrible thing to say to a girl, especially one you're trying to win over. I DARE any of you to say that to a girl's face and see what happens.

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I voted Petty, as I don't care much for Bruce Bedspring

3. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Perhaps it's because I'm from Florida, but I much prefer Tom Petty. Bruce sings like he's really constipated. I'd like to hear him sing after a good dump :)

4. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Good assessment. I will say that most of Springsteen's slower tunes are sung in that almost monotone drone which most of the "Nebraska" album (which is my favorite, btw) is a perfect example of that I think alienates many listeners on the fence over his music.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  5. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Speaking of... Went to see Petty on his 40th Anniversary Tour. It was my wife's first time to see him live, and my first time since 1995. Great show. Anyway, he started "I Won't Back Down" and the crowd went nuts. My wife leaned over to me and went, "What the hell?"

My response was, "Just wait for the next song."

"Why?"

"Just wait."

Of course, He followed "I Won't Back Down" with "Free Fallin'" and the crowd, already really riled up, just completely EXPLODED! People were dancing in the aisles, jumping up and down, and just going absolutely nuts... My wife leaned in and went... "wow." And, the entire drive home, she was going on about how crazy everything got when he started "Free Fallin" and how she had no idea that was such a big song.

"Don't you remember it all over everything back in the 80's?"

"Well, yeah, but, I never knew people loved it THAT much."

Oh, and I voted Petty. Not to knock Bruce, but I just listen to Petty more. Just more my style.

Paperback Writer and 500Homeruns like this.
  6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Tom Petty wins by a country mile. Springsteen has an awful voice, according to my ears.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Paperback Writer likes this.
  7. Kicker55

Kicker55 Forum Resident

The protagonist is making it clear he wants and accepts her as she is on that particular morning -- warts and all. And later in the song he admits he isn't much of a "hero" either. My advice - don't overthink it and meet the story somewhere in the middle.

8. Ron13a

Ron13a Forum Resident

Kicker55, I see what you're saying, but it's something that I could never imagine plying to a woman in an attempt to woo her. It's still idiotic. The song has a wonderful melody and the opening lines are beautiful. That's why it's popular.

I do like some Springsteen. Nebraska and Darkness on the Edge of Town are great records. Brilliant Disguise to me is the last great song he's released though. Being that this was three decades ago, I believe Tom Petty has a clear edge. He has remained consistent where Springsteen has faded despite Rolling Stone mags efforts to elevate him to the level of Elvis, Dylan, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd and the real heavy hitters of music. He's just not there. He's not there as a writer either. What seems so effortless for Dylan is labored for Springsteen. He is not connecting like he did all those years ago when he showed such promise. The money and machine behind him and he still can't connect despite the sanctimonious drivel exalting his name. Yet he is a household name based on his work all those years ago and guys like Ryan Adams and Elliott Smith (RIP) are in comparison practically unknown. I think he's plastic, a fake, a fraud. Somewhere deep down inside he knows it. I'm sure if he were to dwell on it for a moment he would easily be distracted from it by a journalist slobbering on him in a story on MSNBC or perhaps his bank statement. Okay, I'm done with the rant. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.