Beach Boys after the 1970s: what's worth hearing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well according to Mike he wanted to collaborate with Brian, but got squeezed out.

I agree that the album needs two good Mike fun songs. But my problem lies more with the over production than quality of material.

Its more like a Brian Wilson solo album Beach Boys style.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  2. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

Lahaina Aloha, Still Surfin', the live version of Summer in Paradise, and most of the Still Crusin' album are pretty good IMO.

coffeetime and MarkusGermany like this.
  3. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Who's the tall guy with the pony tail? (The younger guy, not Al.)

4. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

What about Spring Vacation, Beaches In Mind and Isn't It Time?

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Matt Jardine.

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, even the title track has a laid back good time vibe, so I think they found the right balance between the fun stuff and the more somber, contemplative material at the end. Still, it is true that Mike was largely frozen out of the songwriting process overall. That album feels more like a Wilson/Thomas project with the remaining Beach Boys contributing vocals.

7. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks-like songs are not represented either.

George C. and jwb1231970 like this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I really love "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery" from the 90s, probably my two favorite Beach Boys songs from this whole period. I can't believe that they got buried for so long--oh wait, this is the Beach Boys, of course I can! It's so sad that they didn't get to complete one last album with Carl at that point, another missed opportunity.

Mr. D likes this.
  9. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Because of Melinda.

10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

To me, Keepin' the Summer Alive is essential. Goin' On and Livin' with a Heartache are absolutely fabulous, terrific tracks.

Radio is outstanding, of course. They shoulda done a follow up!

11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Definitely get the Gershwin album. Unless you don't like Gershwin!

coffeetime likes this.
  12. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

I can't speak for his other writing credits, I know on Your Imagination though that it was Thomas who wrote the ending to the song Sunshine which disappointed a lot of people (as it's the best part of the song).

I'm sure the music was a collaboration between the two of them on TWGMTR, with the exception of the two singles that used the outside writers.

13. Turk Thrust

In terms of the songwriting, yes.

The vocals of the other Beach Boys are thankfully all over the album though and Carl had to complete the production after Brian lost interest.

Beaneydave likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Songwriting?
    That's the name of the game.

15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Kind of agree, though I'm less keen on KTSA (though particularly like Santa Ana Winds and Goin' On - and the title track is one of their less awkward nostalgia-fests - and on 85 I like Where I Belong, It's Gettin' Late, Maybe I Don't Know, She Believes in Love Again and - at a push - Getcha Back). That's Why God Made the Radio has four or five good songs and one great one (and two or three weak ones) - easily the best BB album since LA and maybe since Holland; despite the processed vocals, the songs have real quality. It's a great pity the leads weren't shared more, though.

16. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

With the exception of Stars and Stripes (which is not really a Beach Boys album) they all have a handful of worthwhile moments. However, there's also lots of songs that range from the mediocre to just outright bad.

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Turk Thrust

No argument from me.

Carl deserves a lot of credit for completing the production though, under tough circumstances for him. He really made it releasable imo.

Beaneydave likes this.
  18. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I find Brian's vocals of the last 20+ years to be cringe-worthy, which severely stifles my enjoyment of the That's Why God Made the Radio. They didn't utilize each member's current strengths to the advantage of the whole/the music. Al still has great vocals and should have been utilized far more for the lead vocals....not to mention the processed sound mentioned earlier...That's Why God Made the Radio was the one Beach Boys album where the vocals suck (and I'm speaking as someone who even loves Beach Boys Love You). Internal politics, relationships, whatever it was, it was a failure in my book since there was huge potential if they had each set aside their egos and honestly evaluated who should do what based on current talents, but they didn't.

S. P. Honeybunch and Tristero like this.
  19. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

Would you know which ones?

20. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The album has 4 lead vocals by Brian, 4 by Mike, 2 by Carl, 2 by Dennis, 1 by Al and 1 shared by the Wilson's. A true group effort.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And one large photo exclusively to Brian ( &Marylin).

ALSO-Like the underrated 15 Big Ones.

"That's where you'll find me"

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

He has his off nights, and his range is compromised, but he can still sing. Here, in a clip from a show late last year in Paris, his looks tired, but his vocals are great.

Beaneydave and coffeetime like this.
  23. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

:wtf:

24. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Many thanks, Melinda. You have my sincere gratitude. :love:

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In the interview, Thomas goes into great detail on the collaboration. I think he deserves credit for his contributions to the album, but I don't think he did much real songwriting. I could be wrong. I don't think the guy has as much talent as you seem to think, but I don't hate him as much as Mike Love does!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.