My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

My 2016 Mazda3 has a CD player, 2 USB inputs and an 1/8" aux jack. Most of the music on my Sansa Fuze in in flac format, which the USB inputs don't recognize, so I plug it into the aux. What cars have USB inputs that support flac playback?

Kyle Mooney likes this.
  2. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

To coin a phrase "You can't please all of the people all of the time" Have you ever known a auto manufacture to produce a vehicle that pleases everybody ? Automakers are interested in offering the latest technology. I worked in auto manufacturing at GM. An AUX Port may seem cheap, but say it costs them about $5.00 per unit to add this feature times about 100,000 vehicles for one model per year. Do the math, that is a half million dollars saved by not offering a feature that only a small percentage of people are interested in. Multiply the fact GM has several models to choose from and it adds up to millions saved per year. I can guarantee you that when they removed the AUX Port from vehicles they did not reduce the price to compensate. It all boils down to dollars saved by the manufacturer and what they feel the majority of people want. Just think of the cost savings to them by getting rid of the CD Player.

SamS likes this.
  3. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Believe it or not, there are not many of those big truck stops in Michigan, I know they are more popular in other states though.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I guess, so, but my anecdotal observation is that many, many people still use the aux to connect their smartphones. I can understand the CD option going away, but I hope they leave the USB option in.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There's truck stops all over the place out here. What I find interesting is that sometimes, the CDs are in plastic jewel cases.

6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

No new installed 'quality' CD player - No new car sale.

It's that Simple.

& that's the truth.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    McLover likes this.
  7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

This thread has the most lighting GE for CDs I've seen here in awhile... :laugh:

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

does it have a USB port? Bluetooth?

9. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Bluetooth has been available in vehicles since at least 2010 (had it on my 2010 Mazda 3), that and the amount of smart phones, tablets and music players with Bluetooth out there equals not much need for AUX Port anymore. I think the manufacturers would like it if people would embrace Bluetooth even more than they do. I see so many people holding phones to their ear while they drive even though the vehicle is equipped with Bluetooth hands free calling. Just about every car has that these days.

10. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Better stock up on some older used cars then, many new vehicles have omitted the CD Player already and the rest will follow. This is the same as the phase out of the Cassette Deck and 8-Track in vehicles.

Grant and bluesky like this.
  11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I've rented a Buick LaCrosse for a long term while away from home on a work project. No CD player of course, so I found a portable "Car Ready" Sony CD Discman on Ebay with all the chords, etc. in like new condition for $29.99 and free shipping. It's a bit of a pain to set up before I begin my commute, and there isn't a day that I use it that I don't think it's ridiculous that I have to go this route, but that's reality in 2017.

The car is a fine ride btw, and has a ton of excellent safety features and a rear view camera, which is essential as due to it's high back design it is nearly impossible to parrallel park without it.

Brenald79 and Grant like this.
  12. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

A 64GB USB Drive is 15.99 on Amazon, just load it up with a couple hundred albums and use it in just about any car with USB Port, the LaCrosse surly had one.

Grant and andybeau like this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Remember in the old days when we used to buy aftermarket stereos to put in our cars, well that's still applies today.

14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

These new systems just recognize the music files and away you go? Due to my needing to use an old Mac OS I'm currently frozen out of putting music on my iPhone 6, so if a simple stick with files is all I need that's welcome news, I thought I'd need some kind of digital music player.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

The trouble is that these new headunits aren't headunits at all. It's a big LCD screen that is integrated with all sorts of car functionality. They've also moved away from standardized connectors. So even if you wanted to remove the factory install, you can't really. There's nothing behind that LCD screen, and no standardized connection.

Bottom line: There's no place to put an aftermarket stereo, and no standard way to connect it up.

SandAndGlass and Grant like this.
  16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Just sold a fine, all original, Astro blue '68 Camaro. It even had the original Delco AM radio in the dash. :)

"many new vehicles have omitted the CD Player already and the rest will follow."

I know - it's very unfortunate.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Apple play is just ready to go too.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Not really...Ready to go after a few minutes, assuming everything handshakes properly.

The bigger worry for Apple Play and Android Auto is this: How long before there are incompatibilities between the firmware of the headunit and the firmware in your phone? For high end phones, the manufacturers can get away with incompatibilities creeping in after a small number of years--people expect to trade up after that.

Cars are a different thing. It's not unusual for a modern car to be driven for upwards of 10 years, and there are an awful lot of 15-20 year old cars on the road. Expectations are that, at minimum, functionality should be maintained. If in 10 years your head unit can't properly handshake with the then current OSes, that's an issue--especially if music is built around the assumption of the handshake. The car manufacturers have not generally shown much (or any) interest in providing long term firmware upgrades.

McLover likes this.
  19. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Traded in a 1996 Tacoma 4 x 4 with a cassette player for a 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E that had no CD. So, here I go from a cassette, jump over a CD player and land on Apple play or jump drive. Honda does offer a factory CD player via the service desk for $310 smakers and $226 install. They also have a .pdf on their web page for DIY install of the player, but it is rather involved & thus takes some time.

Right now, happy with XM; but that will wear off and the CD player will resurface.

Best sir,

Bob

20. I dunno. I plug in my phone push the music icon and it usually starts where I left off last time. Or I push music and chose and Album or artist. All less than a minute.

21. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

As I mentioned earlier, on the newer vehicles it does not apply today.

22. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Spotify for the car works fine. I do have a CD player though. And I will make sure my next vehicle has one also. The cd aftermarket option will exist for awhile.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Where there is a will there is away. Of course, it would be expensive and time-consuming.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The 2013 RAV4 I got last month has a CD player. I'd recommend an Ipod for your RAV4 because it connects to the interface.

25. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I can say i have a Dodge car with USB that i use & sadly it only accepts Mp3 files which angers me , doesn't even let a wav. file play & it has a cd player .......... It's an Alpine system they use ...HUGE flaw for me & why i still love cds .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.