And In The End There Was "ABBEY ROAD"--1969--POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Don't. There's still about 190 songs from the main catalogue I like or love. I just stop at the White Album with one or two exceptions.:) and then there's the unreleased catalogue etc...

2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Agreed. Side 1 has some great songs. Come together is a super cool track and Something one of the best songs ever.

Amusing to see Her Majesty beating Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Glad You Never Gave Me Your Money is doing very well.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think Something is the best thing on Abbey Road, with the possible exception of HCtS.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

We can all agree, however, that there were much better songs, just lying around, everywhere, for the pickings, that could have taken its place?

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

What is this clip from? Looks like it must have been a benefit of some sort. Am I a fool for not recognizing it?

8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper are more similar than many realize.
    First off, both are their two most iconic album covers and arguably the two most iconic covers of any albums by anyone.
    Both need to be experienced as albums to really appreciate their artistry.
    Neither have a lot of individual great songs that stand on their own, but both have a good flow overall.
    But it's the top tier polished production and feel of a complete band involvement that makes them both special.

BDC and Shaddam IV like this.
  9. Psychedelic Good Trip

The Prince's Trust 1987.

Bruce M. likes this.
  10. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Abbey Road has a mood & feel that Maxwell fits. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is a fun underrated pop song with some nice moog. What songs would you suggest?

11. Shaddam IV

I've Got A Feeling
    Two Of Us
    Across The Universe

Anything really. The thing about a "mood and feel that fits" is, if it's produced during the album sessions, and put on the album, it fits, more than you'd think.

12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not a fan of IGAF

A polished Abbey Road version of Across The Universe sounds appealing - but I'd replace Oh Darling instead

13. Shaddam IV

A polished Abbey Road version of ATU could have been awesome. "Because" being an example of well done what you might call psychedelia on that album.

Psychedelic Good Trip and AFOS like this.
  14. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

"Two of Us" replacing "Maxwell" would make this indisputably the best album of all time.

I'll make up this track list this week....

15. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Some talk on here about the dislike of Maxwell.
    I'm not a huge fan of the song but like with Octopuses Garden, the polished production and background vocals raise it up.
    It sounds like a Beatles song and you would never know how much it was detested by the others.
    They really buckle down and create a good track.
    The band's dedication to it makes it the best end result of Paul's silly endeavors.

16. Shaddam IV

I get all of the arguments for Maxwell. It's a good tune, it's well performed, well produced, the words contrast with the jaunty melody, etc. I want to like it. I want to like any Beatles song. But it always leaves me cold.

The sum total of this record adds up to much, much less than its parts.

It just doesn't work. It's not that its underrated. It's hated.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  17. My favourites on here are Something, I Want You, Here Comes The Sun and Golden Slumbers.

18. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

The medley through The End is pure rock magic.

19. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

One thing I always found interesting: The Beatles had just finished recording Abbey Road and a few days later they did the photo session at Tittenhurst. Meanwhile, across the Atlantic, at about the same time, Woodstock was going on. All of these things that would come to define the close of the 60's were going on all at once.

And, I believe the promoters of Woodstock did ask the Beatles if they would perform there...little did they know the end of the Beatles was so near.

20. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Because is a Lennon masterpiece.
    Lennon wrote more than just two songs on AR.
    Sun King, Polythene Pam, Mean Mr Mustard are his songs besides Come Together and I Want You (She's So Heavy) I only state this because of comments stating his two songs.

I picked Something, Because, Here Comes The Sun and I Want You (She's So Heavy)

21. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I may not care for every song on this album, but I think it's my favorite Beatles release. I can't call out individual songs, because, as someone else mentioned, I consider some tracks as one, because I never play them separately...in fact, I have them merged into one track:

Golden Slumbers - Carry That Weight - The End
    Sun King - Mean Mr Mustard - Polythene Pam - She Came in Through the Bathroom Window

22. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

My favorite Beatles LP, and perhaps my favorite LP, period.

23. Shaddam IV

I did the math:

Paul: 18.43 minutes, 7 songs (+ Her Majesty).

John: 19.61 minutes, 6 songs.

Is John really "absent"? Does Paul really dominate the album? A bit of accepted wisdom that the facts don't bear out?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    BDC, cmcintyre, michanes and 5 others like this.
  24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's a great album, although not nearly their best as so many claim. Still, it's in the upper echelon.

My picks: "Come Together," "Something," "Oh! Darling," "Here Comes the Sun," "I Want You," "You Never Give Me Your Money," "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window," and "The End."

25. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

This is easily my most favoured album from The Beatles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.