"Official" Goblin Thread & Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 31, 2011.

1. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

I would have ordered this in a heartbeat if I wasn't being quoted almost 70 dollars for shipping :(

2. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Where are you located? That's awful!

I was very excited to read this and happily ordered my copy. Can't wait to finally read this!

3. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

I'm in the UK. Light in the Attic will send me a copy for $15 via USPS International service which is very reasonable but I obviously want the exclusive bonus items by ordering from ANJA directly.

I've been in touch with them regarding their shipping cost and they don't appear to be able to do anything for now, although still waiting on reply to my latest email with them. They might be able to lower the price if the item turns out to be lower weight than anticipated, fingers crossed....

4. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Wanted to put out a plug for the Ring of Darkness OST vinyl recently released by Four Flies Records. I just got my copy and it is sonically excellent, amazingly well pressed, and sounds like what it is... a lost Goblin Album! 500 copies worldwide.

from Four Flies:
    Satan is beckoning your ears!
    Presented on vinyl for the very first time is Stelvio CIPRIANI's iconic score to director Pier Carpi’s 1979 Italian occult-themed movie, Un’ombra nell’ombra. A virtuous synth explosion composed by Maestro Cipriani and performed by the classic Goblin line-up consisting of Claudio SIMONETTI (keyboards), Massimo
    MORANTE (guitars), Fabio PIGNATELLI (bass), and Agostino MARANGOLO (drums).
    The result of this special Cipriani-Goblin rendezvous is an elegant and dark sound full of deep bass and obsessive rhythms, with an innovative and experimental electronic background mxanipulated with synth and exotic percussion.
    Contains the classic horror theme "Deathwatch", compiled in an essential CAM library release (Electronic Sound –
    CML 182), and later used in the slasher cult movie Pieces.
    This album is an absolute must-have for fans of Italian horror, video nasty VHS aficionados, and soundtrack and library connoisseurs.

Remastered by Fabrizio De Carolis at Reference Mastering Studio | Rome

Halfwit and Scope J like this.
  5. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Scope J likes this.
  6. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I absolutely love that Ring of Darkness soundtrack.

I was going to skip the LP though because I have the CD and I don't really trust most engineers involved with these small labels to get the sound quality right.

But hmmm, I dunno.... maybe I like this score enough to try.

I NEVER LEARN MY LESSON!!!

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks!
    no idea how i missed the cd.

8. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Oh man, if you did, then you NEED this.

I will say that the LP jacket artwork sure looks nice!

Scope J likes this.
  9. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

I have a number of Four Flies releases and they are excellent. The label is carving out a niche on interesting and rare Italian library and 70's soundtrack films. Their packaging is basic, not sure if I have one that is a gatefold, but the pressings are usually flawless, sound huge, and they have someone knowledgable write liner notes on the back cover. All usually limited to 500 or so. Their releases of Zoo by Guiliano Sorgini and Turing Fork by The Green Birds are excellent instrumental funk albums that would set you back 500-1000$ for an original.

Scope J likes this.
  10. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Dammit, your post just cost me $34. :)

11. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Once you finish the title track you will be happy you pulled the trigger

12. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Forum Resident

13. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

marblesmike likes this.
  14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Thanks! Cool to hear the band members' reactions in at least a couple of them agree with your information, at least to the best of their memory. In that interview though, you mention that the Italian edition details the arguments from the band members on the Cinevox forum, a situation I only barely grasped at the time. Does your wording here suggest that this was removed from the English edition? And on that note, are there any significant differences we English speakers might want to know about between the two editions?

Scope J likes this.
  15. Red Goblin

Yes, the part with the musician’s quarrel on the Cinevox forum it’s not present in the English edition. We’re talking about six pages that would result in 8/9 pages in ‘Seven notes in red’ (that is smaller sized), a bit too much and also not a pleasant reading for Goblin fans. Bad words spoken in a moment of extreme anger that should have remained private and not thrown to the public on the internet.

The English edition is quite different from the Italian one. The Italian edition consists of virtually two books: the first is the main text with the Goblin story, the second is made of a thousand footnotes with insights regarding bands, musicians, and directors cited in the main text with filmographies and discographies, statements from interviews. Notes that often contain new references to other films and musicians.
    In the English edition you’ll find only the main text with a couple of digressions (already in the Italian version) concerning the Italian groups that played in soundtracks before and after the release of Argento’s ‘Profondo rosso’.
    I also changed the criteria of the discography and filmography.
    Lastly the Italian version is updated to February 2011, the English version to June 2017.

izgoblin likes this.
  16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Though I am by nature curious, I think you're right - this is probably not pleasant reading for Goblin fans. In fact, in some ways I liked certain aspects of being a fan a little better back in the 1980s when the band was completely shrouded in mystery here in the States. All we knew was the line-up listed on the back of the Dawn of the Dead LP, and even that was incorrect. Once we assign human qualities (including flaws) to those who made the music, that can sometimes be terribly disappointing.

17. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

18. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Goblin does another mini-tour of the States again in October/November:

Goblin

marblesmike likes this.
  19. Red Goblin

Oct 25: Goblin with special guests Morricone Youth - 'The Sound of Fear' Tour 2017, Thalia Hall Chicago, Illinois, USA;

Oct 26: Goblin & Morricone Youth, The Opera House, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA;

Oct 28: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Higher Ground, Higher Ground, South Burlington, Vermont, USA;

Oct 31 Goblin / Morricone Youth at Union Transfer - Philadelphia, Union Transfer, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA;

Nov 3: Goblin w/ Mondo Drag at The UC Theatre, The UC Theatre, Berkeley, California, USA;

Nov 5: Goblin, Neumos, Seattle, Washington, USA;

Nov 6: Goblin - The Sound of Fear Tour at Wonder, Wonder Ballroom, Portland, Oregon, USA;

Nov 9: Goblin at Exit/In, Exit/In, Nashville, Tennessee, USA;

Nov 11: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Baltimore Soundstage, Baltimore Soundstage, Baltimora, Maryland, USA.

Scope J and marblesmike like this.
  20. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Also:

Oct 30: Goblin / Morricone Youth at The Sinclair, The Sinclair, Cambridge, MA USA
    Nov 12: Goblin / Morricone Youth at Irving Plaza, Irving Plaza, New York, NY USA

Scope J likes this.
  21. Red Goblin

More dates added to the 'The sound of fear tour 2017'!

Oct 25: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Thalia Hall, Thalia Hall, Chicago, Illinois, USA;

Oct 26: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth, The Opera House, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA;

Oct 27: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth, Theatre Fairmount, Montreal, CANADA;

Oct 28: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Higher Ground, Higher Ground, South Burlington, Vermont, USA;

Oct 30: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at The Sinclair, The Sinclair, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

Oct 31: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Union Transfer, Union Transfer, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA;

Nov 2: Goblin w/ Mondo Drag at The Regent Theater, The Regent Theater, Los Angeles, California, USA;

Nov 3: Goblin w/ Mondo Drag at The UC Theatre, The UC Theatre, Berkeley, California, USA;

Nov 5: Goblin w/ Mondo Drag at Neumos, Neumos, Seattle, Washington, USA;

Nov 6: Goblin - w/ Mondo Drag at Wonder, Wonder Ballroom, Portland, Oregon, USA;

Nov 8: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Center Stage, Center Stage, Atlanta, Georgia, USA;

Nov 9: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Exit/In, Exit/In, Nashville, Tennessee, USA;

Nov 10: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Lincoln Theatre, Lincoln Theatre, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA

Nov 11: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Baltimore Soundstage, Baltimore Soundstage, Baltimora, Maryland, USA;

Nov 12: Goblin w/ Morricone Youth at Irving Plaza, Irving Plaza, New York, New York, USA.

gillcup, Scope J and izgoblin like this.
  22. Scope J

Wish there was a Michigan show!

23. Scope J

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Yours?

I lucked out several years ago when someone was selling their whole Goblin CD collection on ebay in one auction. I had a couple but most of the duplicates were different reissue campaigns.

izgoblin and Scope J like this.
  25. Scope J

Yes, have several on vinyl as well.

Mr. H likes this.