Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

This is only 5 Jane Birkin albums of 11, Uni will release

August 09, 2017

Jane Birkin Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg
    Jane Birkin Di Doo Dah
    Jane Birkin Lolita Go Home
    Jane Birkin Ex Fan Des Sixties
    Jane Birkin Baby Alone In Babylone

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Jane Birkin featuring SHM-CD format. Available as mini LP, replicating the US first pressing LP, for the first time. Includes a card replicating the Japan first pressing LP design. Includes an obi replicating its Japan first pressing LP design. Features 2017 remastering, using the original master tapes. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles: "Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg," "Di Doo Dah," "Lolita Go Home," "Ex Fan Des Sixties," and "Baby Alone In Babylone."
    (translation)
    Jane & Serge [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Jane Birkin
    [Jane Birkin Journal Commemorative Paper Jacket / SHM-CD Collection] Original eleven albums released between 1969 and 1983 by Eternal French Lolita, Jane Birkin performing in Japan in August 2017 , The latest remaster, SHM-CD, released in a paper jacket specification at a stroke. The erotic "Je T'aime Moi Non Plus" by Scandalous, "Annie and Bonbon" familiar with French gal version, others, Sergey Gainsbourg creative motivation and Jane Birkin's delicate singing voice are splendid A matching album that matched. (Announced in 1969)
    ● The first jacket that reproduced the first press LP of a miniature LP Jacket
    ● The jacket that enclosed the jacket · card that reproduced the design of Japan's first press LP
    ● The band which reproduced the design of Japan's first edition LP
    ● Domestic original · analog · Based on the tape 2017 latest remaster sound source
    ● Commentary / with lyric

Di Doo Dah [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Jane Birkin
    Beginning of full-fledged career as an anneuous whisper singer who sings to whisper in British accented French. First-solo album of the conscience that Serge Gainsbourg's word play and composition sense are also clear. (Announced in 1973)

Lolita Go Home [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Jane Birkin
    Second-solo album that Jane Birkin's singing charm can be fully enjoyed with backing light and groovy sound. The percussive title song where the fragile whisper voices can be played pale is the monument of Funky · Gary · groove which was covered by Kahimi · Kali in the 1990s. (Announced in 1975)

Ex Fan Des Sixties [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Jane Birkin
    The theme song of the TV drama "Beautiful person" and became a trigger for popular relapse in Japan, such as the title song which made a big hit in France singing love to rock artists of the 60's, A versatile sound approach by Serge Gainsbourg is a novel masterpiece. (Announced in 1978)

Babylon's Fairy [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Jane Barkin
    An album that will be the first time in five years from the previous work that was announced after parting with Serge Gainsbourg and after reconciliation. It became the biggest hit among Jane Birkin's works and won the French ACC Disc Award. The title song with the avant-garde lyrics of Gainsbourg on fresh melody of Brahms' symphony 3 is fresh. (Announced in 1983)

'Je t'aime moi non plus' (nice to remind yourself sometime) 1969

This one is surprisingly good:
    Jane B. (1969) Live 1972
    Jane Birkin - Jane B - 1972 - Remastered - RAR TV BROADCAST

La décadanse
    La décadanse- Serge Gainsgourg &Jane Birkin- subtitulos en español

Quoi (1995 version)
    Jane Birkin - Quoi - YouTube

Di Doo Dah
    Jane Birkin - Di doo dah

Lolita Go Home
    Jane Birkin "Lolita go home" (live officiel) | Archive INA

Ex-Fan Des Sixties (live1978)
    Jane Birkin "Ex fan des sixties"`(live officiel) | Archive INA

Apocolypstik
    jane birkin - "apocalypstick"

Baby Alone In Babylone
    Baby Alone in Babylone - Jane Birkin

Lost Song
    Lost song - Jane Birkin

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. toilet_doctor

July 28, 2017

Arcade Fire Everything Now (reg. Mini LP CD)

"Arcade Fire brings the first album in four years. Contains 13 tracks total. Cardboard sleeve packaging with a clear sleeve." [$21.82]
    (translation)
    Everything Now / Arcade Fire
    Participating in Daft Punk! It's a new work for the first time in 4 years! In this work, which will become the first piece of the move, we will set up the band himself and Daft · Punk's Toma Bangtarter and Steve McKee of the pulp as producers, It is inevitable that it will be a topic all over the world, coupled with their collaboration that constantly brings the times, such as Marcus Dorus who handles their past three besides Biyoke and cold play as well as a co-producer. "Everything Now" includes 13 tracks in total. Paper jacket + transparent sleeve specification. ※ This product will be released the same day worldwide product, the delivery of the item will be on or after the release date.

3. I will be eagerly awaiting the day those Nick Drake SHM masterings hit SHM-SACD.

4. toilet_doctor

5. toilet_doctor

Update:
    It was mistakenly advertizes as Mini LP, but came as Digipak:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered it anyway and will report on SQ.

6. toilet_doctor

"45 years on from that very concert in Newcastle and part of our celebration of Marc’s 70th Birthday this year!"

They should celebrate all of this with a new remaster... Is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"All tracks taken from Marc’s own ¼” reels."

In what year was it done? Looks in 2004 to me.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  7. moops

moops Senior Member

Cool cover !

It appears some of the tracks are from this 5 CD box set release ..... also on the Easy Action label in 2004.

T.Rex* - Total T.Rex 1971-1972

[​IMG]

toilet_doctor likes this.
  8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

9. toilet_doctor

Vivid Sound continues with Blue Pink series (discs made by South Korean Blue Pink label - $24.32)

June 28, 2017

Carol Grimes Warm Blood
    Colin Scot Just Another Clown
    Denny Brooks S/T
    Don Preston & The South Hot Air Through A Straw
    Bran Ail Ddechra
    Moons Songs of Woods and Fire

Warm Blood [Limited Release] / Carole Grimes
    Caroline Grimes' solo debut work and a famous UK swamp brand appeared! (Original release: 1974 Caroline Records) Production limited paper jacket specification.

[Part1]

[Part2]
    CAROL GRIMES ~ warm blood ~ B.wmv

Just Another Clown [Limited Release] / Colin Scott
    UK niche Singer Songwriter, Colin Scot's second album is turned into CD! (Original release: 1973 Warner Bros.) Production limited paper jacket specification.

Only two songs I could find - nice thou:
    Colin Scot l I am A Dreamer

Colin Scot - Lament

Denny Brooks [Limited Release] / Denny Brooks
    Singer Songwriter found in Van Dyke Parks, Danny Brooks' LA Swamp Initial masterpiece! (Original release: 1969 Warner Bros.) Production limited paper jacket specification.

Denny Brooks - Great Kansas Hymn

Hot Air Through A Straw [Limited Release] / Don Preston & The South
    Don Preston who played an active part in Leon Russell led the band of The South and released his own second work as CD! (Original Release: 1969 A & M) Production limited paper jacket specification.

Ail Ddechra [Limited Release] / Bran
    Reprint of the brilliant rare board of four people from Wales, UK! (Original release: Sain in 1975) Production limited paper jacket specification.

Welsh folk band
    Bran - Y gwylwyr

Songs of Woods and Fire / Moons
    A world of moderately dyed superbly mellow acoustic sound. The calm tones spun by Brazilian male Singer Songwriter Andre Travassos' solo unit, and Moons are funky, psychedelic, gently and elegantly echoing in my heart .... A type paper jacket specification.

M O O N S - Hunting You

10. toilet_doctor

Big Pink series is quiet an effort.

May 31, 2017

Riff Raff Original Man
    The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation S/T
    The Trout S/T
    The Famous Jug Band Sunshine Possibilities + 2
    Stony And Meatloaf S/T

I ordered Riff Raff (see Post 214).

The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation [Limited Release]/ The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation
    A British boasting drummer, Bruce Rock Band by Aynsley Dunbar, debut work of retirement made CD! Production limited paper jacket specification. Importing board domestic specification. (Original Release: 1968 Liberty Records)

Aynsley Dunbar has worked with many rock band: Nils Lofgren, Eric Burdon, John Mayall, Frank Zappa, Ian Hunter, Lou Reed, Jefferson Starship, Jeff Beck, David Bowie, Whitesnake, Sammy Hagar, Michael Schenker, UFO, Flo & Eddie and Journey

You will find really good slow blues there (worth to check out):

The Trout [Limited Edition] / The Trout
    Soft Rock / Bubblegum Pop Popular name Hit Maker, Tony Romeo band · The only work of The Trout made CD !! Production limited paper jacket specification. Importing board domestic specification. (Original Release: 1968 MGM Records)

Sunshine Possibilities [Limited Release] / The Famous Jug / Band
    The best masterpiece of British jug band, Famous Jag Band's first album appears! Production limited paper jacket specification. Importing board domestic specification. (Original Release: 1969 Liberty Records)
    Bonus track: "God Knows" "Chameleon
    " recorded

The Famous Jug Band - Can't Stop Thinking About It

Stoney And Meatloaf [Limited Release] / Stoney & Meatloaf
    Minor Swamp / Bruce Rock 's famous board, Stony And Meatloaf' s debut work made CD! Production limited paper jacket specification. Importing board domestic specification. (Original Release: 1971 Rare Earth)
    Bonus track: "Stone Heart" "Who Is The Leader Of The People" "Everything Under The Sun" recording

(from the comment)
    "Stoney & Meatloaf is a duet of singer Meat Loaf and Stoney (Shaun Murphy). They released only one album in 1971, by the team's same name. Meat Loaf and Murphy had met previously in the Detroit music scene, and then performed with the Detroit cast of Hair. Meat Loaf, whose name was styled "Meatloaf" on the album, had a minor hit "What You See Is What You Get".
    The duo disbanded when the record company cut out their vocals to "Who Is the Leader of the People?" and replaced them with Edwin Starr's vocals instead. Meat Loaf was then released from the Motown contract by management, while Murphy was retained for a short period, and left on her own to pursue other offers.
    Meat Loaf went on to a successful solo career. He sang "What You See Is What You Get" live on his "Live Around the World" album in 1996.
    Murphy, known for her longtime association with Bob Seger, joined Eric Clapton's band, for Clapton's "Behind the Sun Tour" in 1985, prior to joining the L.A. based band, Little Feat, as a lead singer in 1995.
    The album has never been released on CD. "(I'd Love to Be) As Heavy as Jesus" was released on a Gospel CD compilation, "Key to the Kingdom
    ".

Meat Loaf - featuring Stoney & Meatloaf - Jimmy Bell

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  11. toilet_doctor

Cover is very damn cool + Japanese craftsmanship + Limited pressing + Collectable - almost irresistible.
    They know how to hit T.Rex fans.

12. toilet_doctor

What a little friking dollies - toys for a growing up men. Hold your pocket wider...

13. toilet_doctor

Vivid Sound released 4 Live Prog albums.
    While the price is the same for all of them ($23.22), only Curved Air is Japanese print in SHM.

March 31, 2017

Curved Air Air Waves (Live at BBC)
    Van der Graaf Generator Godbluff (Live in 1975 w/bonus tracks)
    Caravan A Night Tale (Live In USA 2002)
    Caravan Hunting We Should Go (Live in 1974)

"Curved Air's rare BBC tracks are reissued with remastering and SHM-CD format. Cardboard sleeve packaging."

Curved Air is famous for heavy use of Darryl Way's electric violin and vocal of Sonja Kristina (2012 remaster by Purple Pyramid).

Review
    " I was interested to hear this CD, as the BBC sessions usually have provided good "live in the studio" recordings from 1960's and 1970's rock groups. This wasn't the most satisfying version on this vast series of Brittish rock radio history, but it gives some fine official live recordings of the early version of this band, not being present on their other official discography releases and being many times better than the sterile studio constructions.

The first session from the April of 1970 is yet bit tame, but the tracks breathe more freely than in the studio recordings. The version of "Vivaldi" is quite good, but I don't personally like the straits it takes when evolving, though the dramatic opening is good. "Propositions" is performed well also, but if you like this tune, don't miss their filmed version of it done for the Belgian TV network, where the band extrudes a highly psychedelic sound wall for their singer to get lost. In this version, there's also a short lyrical passage in the end of the jam, which was not in the TV version. The set ends to the menacing "It Happened Today", with rock'n'roll piano and softer vocal empathy from Sonja.

The recordings from first of January 1971 seem as finest of these recording sessions. "Young Mother in Style" is the best recording of this song I have heard, and when comparing to the studio version, the lyrics are more audible, and there's no fade-out oppressions included. I also learned "Situations" being one of the most beautiful song done by this band. In addition of the song "Blind Man" there's also a second session done few weeks later, featuring "Thinking on The Floor" and "Stretch", which are decent performances, but not the most integral material of the band as compositions.

The last session time warps to year 1976, where the band backing up Sonja has been mostly changed, and also the musical style has ventured to a direction, which doesn't please me as much as their earlier material. The instrumental opening is still energetic little in the style of the early days, but the rest of the songs are mostly romantic downers to be heard in drunken whiskey bars.

This album is probably aimed to those who already know this band and are fans, but I believe it might also give a wide range introduction of their material for a new listener. As a bonus, there's a marvelous picture of the singer skyrocketing on the album cover, this subject possibly being a marvelous bonus for me in any context."

Vivaldi

It Happened Today
    Curved Air - It Happen To Day.

Maria Antoinette
    Curved Air - Marie Antoinette

Backstreet Luv
    Curved Air - Backstreet Luv

Yong Mother in Style
    Curved Air - Young Mother in Style (Live at BBC)

Midnight Wire
    Curved Air - Midnight Wire (Live at BBC)

Stratch
    Curved Air - Stretch (Live at BBC)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. toilet_doctor

Van der Graaf Generator Godbluff Live (in 1975 w/bonus tracks)

Godbluff Live '70 S / Van Der Graaf Generator
    Live work that recorded the performance of Paris at the release of VDGG's album "Godbluff" appeared in the world for the first time!

Note: Disc manufactured outside of Japan.

Review (2003 DVD)
    "Good music as is to be expected, Peter Hammill is a master composer and the band is tight and there are few mistakes except for the occasional time when Peter Hammill goes off key vocally but he has never been a great singer in the first place so its alright. The sound quality is rather poor I could barely hear the electric piano or the bass when it plays and the vocals are sort of muffled, average picture quality as well. Still a good DVD with the only real problems being with he production and such not the music recommended for VDGG fans."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. toilet_doctor

Caravan A Night Tale (Live In USA 2002)

Live in USA 2002 / Caravan
    Recorded New Jersey live from the world tour of 2000 that came as Caravan's best members & best set!

Review
    "Don't miss the Trailer
    It is ironic that with Caravan being such an essentially British band, one of the finest visual records of their work should be this concert recorded in the USA. The gig captured here took place in 2002 at the Nearfest festival in Trenton, New Jersey. While the musicians may not all have been part of classic line up, both singer/guitarist Pye Hastings and keyboard player Dave Sinclair are present, along with long serving band members Richard Coughlan and Geoffery Richardson. Jim Leverton, Doug Boyle and Simon Bentall complete the seven man line up.

The set list includes many of the Caravan favourites, including a delightful "Caravan medley" which draws from about 8 songs. The selections for the medley are a fine mix of the familiar and the less familiar, the piece effectively becoming a suite in its own right rather than simply a sequence of song extracts.

Most of the remaining songs are played out in full, although the superb "All the way" which opens the gig is cut down substantially from its original 9+ minutes. Highlights include a great performance of the epic "9 feet underground" and a unique yet totally recognisable recitation of "For Richard". The latter features some fine flute playing by the versatile Geoff Richardson. Elsewhere, Richardson creates some excellent moods through his viola playing and also adds mandolin to the bonus track "Travelling ways". Quite why the Jim Leverton (who is a doppelganger for the late Alan Freeman!) led "Travelling ways" is not simply included in the main feature is not clear.

If there is a downside, some of the vocals, and in particular the harmonies ("I know why you're laughing") can be a bit suspect, perhaps due to monitor problems.

The other bonus features are less than essential, being a one minute observation by Richardson, and a Norwegian bimbo interviewing some of the arriving audience.

In all though, a superb recording of a rare gig by Caravan in the US."

Nine Feet Underground (Live)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caravan Hunting We Should Go (Live in 1974)

Live in London 1974 / Caravan
    Official live work that was released only for fans and clubs of Caravan appeared in Japan for the first time!

Review
    "This *album* was recorded at Ebbets Field, Denver, Colorado, on November 13th 1974 during their first tour of Canada and the USA. There is absolutely nothing new here and this is with no doubt something for fans and collectors only. Three tracks for a duration of about 34 minutes, "For Richard" being the main course as the longest track; add the title track and a stand-alone version of Hoedown, where the band learns their audience how to clap the 7/4 clave; fun but nothing more. All in all just enough to satisfy the completists; it is actually even unbelievable that a label decided to release this oddity anew on LP ..... in 2011, 37 years ahead of its performance! It may say a lot about the popularity and impact of an unequaled band!"

[​IMG]

16. toilet_doctor

Belle Antique June Prog releases:

Canterbury scene

June 25, 2017

National Health S/T
    National Health Of Queues And Cures
    Soft Heap S/T
    Gilgamesh Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into

Cardboard sleeve reissue with SHM-CD format. Features the latest remastering, using the original master tapes. Comes with lyrics and a description. [2017 Remaster; $28.07]

(translation)
    National Health [SHM-CD] / National Health
    [Belle Antique Jacket Series] Formed in 1975 as a joint project between Hatfield and the North and Gilgamesh. First album released in 1978 after 3 years aging period. This so-called super-band as a collection of Canterbury artists is this national health. It is a great-oriented album that 3 songs are over 10 minutes and the remaining 2 songs are composed of parts 1 and 2, historical masterpieces shining in the Canterbury scene. Paper jacket, latest remaster from original analog master, SHM-CD decision version contents! Lyrics · bilingual · commentary included.

Review
    "Welcome to the debut album from National Health, one of Canterbury's treasures.
    The music is dreamy, quirky jazz with some avant-garde elements. But most of the music is very melodic with Parsons voice hanging over it and solos from Gowen, Stewart or Miller. Most of the music is simply excellent and always stunning. It is always multi-layered and full of small details. A drum pattern here. A bass there. Some keyboards backing up a guitar solo. This album never gets boring. I know because I have been listening to it for over a year and I just remembered that I had forgotten to review it for PA. Throughout these fifty times of listening to it, I have always peeled of another layer and found more details.
    The best song is the rather short Borogoves (Part one). But the rest of this album is excellent. This album is not a masterpiece. I think their second album Of Queues and Cures is better than this one. These (and the live album Playtime) are the two National Health albums worth having. In my view; they are essential albums, but not masterpieces. 4.5 stars
    ."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of Queues And Cures [SHM-CD] / National Health
    [Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] This is the second of National Health released in 1978, the same year as First. In an ensemble centered on Dave Stewart (key) and Phil Miller (g), former Henry Cow's John Greaves (bass) joined and succeeded in drawing a new world, again , Canterbury's name album. Paper jacket, latest remaster from original · analog · master, SHM-CD decision version contents! Lyrics · bilingual · commentary included.

Review
    "Can't say I know every band from Canterbury scene ,but I probably heard everything that really matters in terms of overall quality. Having said that, I consider this album to be the very best Canterbury has to offer. Neo-classicism mixed with jazz so typical for the sub-genre and jaw-dropping musicianship are hallmarks of National Health's second album. Moods are very different on every song ,from cold and academically executed "Collapso" to hard rocking "Squarer for Maud" or warm "Binoculars", complexity never overshadows melodic lines. Dave Stewart and Phil Miller are at their best here, while Pip Pyle drumming is forceful and thunderous. Guest list is also impressive and includes usual suspects Jimmy Hastings, Rick Biddulph and Peter Blegvad to name few,all veterans of Canterbury scene. Too bad that most Canterbury bands were short lived,like National Health was, but as long as we have masterpieces like "Of queues and cures", genre will live forever."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFi0xttE2Lw&list=PL94gOvpr5yt2DCk39jojwL1bEtR8RDCku

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. toilet_doctor

Soft Heap [SHM-CD] / Soft Heap
    [Bell Antique Jacket Series] Following the live album "Rouge Element" in the name of SOFT HEAD released in 1978, Soft Heap, the only studio album released in 1979. In the bands by Elton Dean (sax), Alan Gowen (key), Hugh Hopper (bass), Pip Pile (dr), improvised enthusiasts like inheriting the sound of soft and machine in the mid- One piece that can enjoy Canterbury, Jazz, Rock Sound. Paper jacket, latest remaster from original analog master, SHM-CD decision version contents! With explanation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into [SHM-CD] / Gilgamesh
    [Bell Antique Jacket Series] Second Gilgamesh announced in 1978. Works that Alan Gowen (key) and Phil Lee (g) had recorded with Hugh Hopper (bass) and Trevor Tomkins (dr), although they were temporarily dissolved after the first release. A Gilgamesh sound like a toy box turned over was refined and finished in a famous record of Canterbury Jazz Rock. Paper jacket, latest remaster from original analog master, SHM-CD decision version contents! With explanation.

GILGAMESH 1: Darker Brighter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. toilet_doctor

Prog-Folk from Belle Antigue

May 25, 2017
    Stackridge S/T + 2
    Stackridge Friendliness + 4
    Stackridge The Man in the Bowler Hat
    Stackridge Extravaganza
    Stackridge Mr. Mick + 4

"Cardboard sleeve reissue with the latest remastering and SHM-CD format. Comes with lyrics and a description." [2017 Remaster; $28.07]

(translation)
    Stack Ridge [SHM-CD] / Stack Ridge
    [Belle Antique Paper Jacket Series] This is the first album by Stack Ridge released in 1971. A band specialized in one twisted pop sound that was influenced by the Beatles. Although it is a band that is not a definitive hit song, none of them have a stable high-level album on his mind. It is also contents that appeal enough to Progressive · Rock · fans such as 8 minutes of In - Song. The jacket is hypnosis. Paper jacket, latest remaster, SHM - CD definitive content. Lyrics · Bilingual · With commentary.
    2 bonus tracks included

Review
    "Stackridge, from Bristol in England's West Country, recorded 3 masterpieces and several less interesting albums. Their 3 masterpieces are this debut album, Pinafore Days (Euro/UK title Man In The Bowler Hat), and Extravaganza. A band who fall into the category of "eclectic Beatles esque folkrock/prog" they wore the Beatles/60s influence in full regalia and in hindsight could have led to a band like Klaatu, without falling as low as they would after a flying start (you've GOTTA HAVE the first two Klaatu albums!). This album remains my favourite along with Extravaganza. The songs are full of lunacy and unexpected twists and turns. Take for example the album's longest track "Slark-" the tale of a boy swept off in a dream by a medieaval dragon. "Slark" is a real epic of dreamy vocals, lots of wild flute, and strange very English atmospherics. The rest of the album ranges from the mini tragedy "Percy The Penguin" which will remind you of The Beatles to more songs that will remind you of the Beatles, Bee Gees, et all!!! This is not to say Stackridge were unoriginal, they actually were VERY original, but loved 60s British pop and it left a stamp on their music. Country rock (think of a quirkier CSNY) influences creep into this magical brew too on "Dora The Female Explorer." If you want an album that turns into loud outbursts of wild guitar solos this will not be the one to do it, if you are looking for music to put you in a pleasant and joyous mood then you should pick this up without further adieu! Aside from the 3 songs I've mentioned, my favourite tracks along with "Slark" would have to be "Marigold Conjunction," "The 3 Legged Table," and "Grand Piano" all of which remind of the Beatles meets Genesis (the sophisticated melodic structures) only done in a more almost demo style dry rustic folkrock pop/rock way. I've been to Bristol many times and it's a delightful place, full of character, wit and charm. I would describe Stackridge as just that- character, wit, and charm. Aside from "Percy" and the trippy "Slark" this is feel good music- it makes you smile and it's nice to listen to it when you're feeling down. You'll find no ominous Satanic messages or Messianic vocals here, and the cover should make that obvious now shouldn't it. Stackridge never pretended to be heavy. An album doesn't have to be heavy to be a masterpiece. Stackridge's debut, with every song beautiful and glistening with post Beatles magic is a total masterpiece with no filler at all. It's also not the easiest to find of their albums, but should be obtainable if you look hard enough and you will be very rewarded."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. toilet_doctor

New releases from Sony:

Something happened to Sony: Blu-spec CD2 releases w/new remaster in Mini LP for under $18!

Sep. 06, 2017

(Mini LP Blu-spec CD2)
    Cheap Trick S/T + 10
    Cheap Trick In Color + 7
    Cheap Trick Heaven Tonight +5
    Cheap Trick At Budokan + 3
    Cheap Trick Dream Police + 7
    Cheap Trick All Shook Up + 9
    Cheap Trick One On One + 8
    Cheap Trick Next Position Please + 10
    Cheap Trick Standing On The Edge + 6
    Cheap Trick The Doctor + 5
    Cheap Trick Lap of Luxury + 8
    Cheap Trick Busted + 7

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Cheap Trick features the high-fidelity Blu-spec CD2 format and 2017 DSD remastering. The mini LP faithfully replicates its US first pressing LP design. Includes an obi, replicating the one included with its Japan first pressing LP. Comes with new liner notes and bonus track(s). This series features the following titles: "Cheap Trick," "In Color," "Heaven Tonight," "At Budokan," "Dream Police," "All Shook Up," "One On One," "Next Position Please," "Standing On The Edge," "The Doctor," "Lap of Luxury," and "Busted." [$17.81]

(translation)
    Cheap Trick I +10 [Blu-spec CD 2] [Complete production limited edition] / Cheap Trick
    Cheap trick, paper jacket collection commemorating the 40th anniversary of debut!
    ● paper jacket specification by the latest DSD mastering (2017)
    ● exterior inner bag faithfully reprints the US first edition LP board
    ● Japanese version LP first version reprint
    ● new liner notes
    ● a number of new bonus tracks are recorded.

Sep. 06, 2017

Carole King Tapestry (7" Mini LP Hybrid Multi-ch. Hybrid Multi-ch. SACD)

"7-inch mini LP reissue of Carole King's masterpiece, "Tapestry." Features SACD multi-ch. hybrid." [$37.83]

(translation)
    Tapestry [Limited Release] / Carole King
    We will release the timeless famous "Tapestry" on the 7 inch paper jacket & SACD multi-ch hybrid board!

Looks like fancy repackaging of an old SACD (?)

20. toilet_doctor

3 Prog albums from Vivid Sound, coming in August:

August 23, 2017

(Mini LP Blu-spec CD)
    Tim Blake Crystal Machine + 3
    Tim Blake New Jerusalem + 3
    Tonton Macoute Revisited Edition
    2CD

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Tim Blake features Blu-spec CD format and 24bit remastering in 2017. The mini LP faithfully replicates its French LP design, including an insert." [$26.72]

(translation)
    Crystal Machine [Blu-spec CD] / Tim Blake
    A solo album released by Tim Blake from France 's Egg (1977), a synthesizer that supported the gong of the 70s golden era. One piece that summarized the multimedia show which I was doing as a project named Crystal Machine, together with Patrice Warrenner, a laser beam engineer, since he was enrolled from Gong. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. A paper jacket specification based on the French edition original LP. Making Japan's first CD. 2017 24 bit remastering. 3 bonus tracks included

New Jerusalem [Blu-spec CD] / Tim Blake
    Studio recording for the first time with a synthesizer playing the gong of the 70's gold, Tim Blake, with a second album released in 1978. Independent interpretation of British poet, masterpiece of William Blake "Jerusalem". It is a spacious synthesizer sound that draws on the flow of the previous work, but one that added lyricism with melodious, such as adding own vocal and acoustic guitar. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. A paper jacket specification based on the French edition original LP. Original and insert included. Making Japan's first CD. 2017 24 bit remastering.
    3 bonus tracks included

Tim Blake New Jerusalem
    Review
    "Unsurprisingly I knew of Tim Blake through his work with Gong on the Radio Gnome Trilogy.
    While Crystal Machine was a collection of live material from England and France in 1976 and '77 (with any audience cheers removed), this 1978 followup Blake's New Jerusalem was a studio offering. He expanded his ideas to go beyond just synths, by including acoustic guitars and singing on most of the songs. "A Song for a New Age" is a perfect example what I'm talking about. Nice acoustic guitar passages, and spacy synths. "Lighthouse" has a more pulsing sound, with glissando guitar. He played this song live when he joined Hawkwind. I love the spoken dialog that stars the album that sounds like it belongs on Star Trek. "Generator (Laser Beam)" was released as a single, and it's his attempt at a disco hit. The music has an undeniable disco feel, but has that same hi-tech futuristic vibe I come to love of this album. I could have imagined this song appearing on Battlestar Galactica (the original 1978-'79 series) after all the TV series premiered about the same time this album came out. I'll take this song any day to what the Bee Gees were doing around the same time. The title track takes up all of side two. Again more futuristic sounding progressive electronic with vocals. This album seems to demonstrate why he left Gong. The music would be completely out of place on a Gong album. The lyrics have New Age themes, inspired by William Blake's Jerusalem (I also get an impression he was pointing out he shares the same Blake surname as the famous 18th century poet), with a far more serious tone than the Pot Head Pixies of Gong. So as much as I enjoy Crystal Machine, since that one was improvised live on the spot, it's hard not to have a few flaws show up. On New Jersalem, recording in the studio allowed him to edit any mistakes, so any flaws and mistakes aren't shown here, and while he isn't the best singer on the planet, he at least made his vocals acceptable here. Again another great album I sure highly recommend."

ispace likes this.
  21. toilet_doctor

Tonton Macoute Revisited Ed. 2CD

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Tonton Macoute features Blu-spec CD format and 24bit remastering in 2017. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK LP design. Comes with a bonus disc with tracks re-recorded with new interpretation. Also comes with an insert with liner notes by the members."
    [$30.28]

(translation)
    Tanton Makut's Mysterious World - Livitized Edition - [Blu-spec CD] / Ton Ton Makuto
    That cult group was reunited with original members. Revive the only album left on prestigious neon label with modern technology and new sensibility. Ken Howard and Alan Blakely work on management, the only album left by Ton Ton Makuto, released in 1971, a group that has a cult popularity among British rock and mania. This time, the original and 4 members gathered again, reconstructing the same album with the concept of "evolve with modern technology and new sensibility" concept. Resurrected as a two-sheet revised edition with original album on disc 1 and reconstructed recording with new interpretation on disc 2. High sound quality "Blu-spec CD" adopted. Original paper jacket specification based on UK master disk LP. 2017 24 bit remastering. Enclosed in English inserts with self-liner by members.

Review
    "TONTON MACOUTE released their sole album in 1971 on RCA's shortlived progressive Neon label (which also hosted Spring, Indian Summer and Dando Shaft). The band started out in 1968 when Nigel Reveler (drums) and Paul French (vocals, keyboards, vibes) answered an ad in a magazine and joined up with Chris Gavin (bass, guitars) and Dave Knowles (alto/tenor saxes, flute, clarinet). After several label changes they finally landed their debut album on Neon.
    The name was taken from a Haitian paramilitary force created in 1959 which was known for its reign of terror, so what an unlikely name for a band that delivers some of the most breezy and pleasant music that I would refer to as the Camel of jazz-fusion because they only deliver highly soft, melodic and light breezy bluesy jazz-fusion that was in stark contrast to the heavyweights of the era. Traffic and even Chicago come to mind at times. Many of the tracks are long and complex but all are different from one another.

The beginning track "Just Like A Stone" sets the relaxed flute and organ dominated sound that sets the mood of the entire album. The rest of the album follows suit with interesting interplay between the wind intruments, the piano/organ, guitars and bass with occasional vibes. Great riffs, excellent melodies and sizzling solos. Unfortunately the band and the label both went under shortly after this interesting debut. Although this isn't the OMG long lost obscurity that everyone hopes to find, it is nevertheless a very satisfying listen that definitely deserves to have the dust blown off of it."

I'm going to include this resurrected jam in my August order.

22. toilet_doctor

Jazz releases

Sep. 06, 2017

Philip Catherine Stream

"Cardboard sleeve reissue of the debut album from Philip Catherine additionally includes two unreleased songs. Features digital remastering from original master. Includes interview with Philip Catherine. Available as CD format for the first time in the world. The sleeve faithfully replicating the original art work." [1972; $24.19]

23. toilet_doctor

Sinatra Society of Japan (SSJ) Jazz releases

July 05, 2005

Anita O'day Live in Tokyo 1964 + 5

Feb. 22, 2005

Wes Montgomery Quartet BBC "Jazz625" + 5 -1965
    Sonny Rollins & Coleman Hawkins Together at Newport 1963

Disc made outside of Japan, but price is good $16.76 - a couple dollars more than Jewel case mass market CDs; DSD mastering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ispace likes this.
  24. toilet_doctor

Victor Japan announced 7 T.Rex albums in Mini LP CD with K2HD Pro Mastering.
    Are they SHM? Nope...

Sep. 13, 2017

T.Rex The Slider
    T.Rex Tanx
    T.Rex Zinc Alloy And The Hidden Riders Of Tomorrow
    T.Rex Bolan's Zip Gun
    T.Rex Futuristic Dragon
    T.Rex Dandy In The Underworld
    T.Rex Great Hits

The absence of Electric Warrior has already raised the red flag.

"Cardboard sleeve reissue from T.Rex features K2HD Pro Mastering. An obi faithfully replicates the original Japan LP design for the first time in the world, including its details (subject to change)." [$23.85]

The Slider [Limited Release Edition] / T. Rex
    "Mark Bolan symbol of gram rock. In 2017 this year, his 70th birth, 40 years after death, 45 years from the first visit to Japan. In the year of such an important milestone, many of the famous boards left by T · Rex reappears in the paper jacket specification reproducing the original Japanese version LP in the world! This work counts from the name of Tyrannosaurus Rex In the seventh work, T. Rex name is the third studio album. A masterpiece published in 1972, including a big hit / single that ranked No. 1 in the UK such as "Telegram / Sam" and "Metal Guru". Of course, obi bands announcing liner notes and posters, and their posters inclusion will also be reproduced. And K2HD Pro Mastering is applied to the sound source." [What is this sound source?]

Tanks [Limited Release Edition] / T. Rex
    "This work counts from the name of Tyrannosaurus Rex In the eighth work, T / Rex name is the fourth work studio album. Works announced in 1973 that recorded masterpieces such as "Shock Rock" and "Born To Boogie". As well as bands, liner notes and large posters will also be reproduced. And K2HD Pro Mastering is applied to the sound source."

Great Hits [Limited Release Edition] / T · Rex
    "This work is officially released during the life of Mark Bolan The only best album ever made. Works announced in 1973, including masterpieces such as "Telegram / Sam", "Metal Guru", and a representative song "20 Century Boy" not included in the original / studio work. OBI as well as large posters and liner notes will be reproduced. And K2HD Pro Mastering is applied to the sound source."

What is K2HD Pro Mastering and what is the difference from the old K2HD Mastering?

According to Victor Japan (JVC):
    "This is mastering technology which can pack the original attractive sound quality of master sources in each media with the information of quite wide frequency range up to 100kHz and high resolution of 24bit based upon K2 High Definition coding technology.
    In case of CD mastering, it can realize very high sound quality CD which never existed before by packing the information of 192kHz and 24bit in CD master format of 44.1kHz and 16bit.

With open stance, FLAIR (JVC lab) is providing the "K2HD MASTERING" which is based upon K2HD Coding technology.
    "K2HD MASTERING" has got a excellent quality of sound by the optimized processing algorithm and processor unit.

So, we announce the evolved new stage named "K2HD PRO MASTERING".

Guys, please pay attention here:

[Like in case of non-Pro K2HD Mastering]...
    "It depends on the master sources.
    In case of completed master sources such as "Analog Masters" with attractive original sound, it can keep all the information included in the master sources without any change.
    In case of Digital master sources (3/4U-matic, DAT etc.) in which the information or sound quality has already changed compared with the original masters, it can reproduce the sound quite close to the original.
    "

In my experience only in case of Analog Master sources K2HD processing really works great. (Such is Sony Limited to 1000 copies K2HD Series, where name of mastering engineer proudly printed on the back cover).
    Applying to Digital sources, K2HD "Mastering" does not give good result.

So, maybe K2HD Pro would do it? I don't think so.

"K2HD PRO MASTERING" requires engineers to have enough skills in handling the equipment knowing well the special character of "K2 High Definition Coding", coping with the various situations such as the status of provided master formats, in judging the sound quality, and the best approach depending on the music genres and contents.
    "K2HD PRO MASTERING" can exist only by the engineers' manpower with high judgment for sound quality, and high skills which can match it best to the sound sources to be mastered.
    "K2HD PRO MASTERING" is possible only in FLAIR (Victor Studio) which has many creative mastering engineers with a lot of experiences and its unique know-how in making high-spec sound.
    "

It is so pity to read all of this crap, to be honest. Are they different engineers, who did non-Pro K2HD processing before? Yesterday they were non-Pro, but today they are with new logo...

Warning:
    Regardless how attractive Japanese Mini LP CD covers are, stay away from Victor Japan Mini LP releases.

"In 2017, year of his 70th birth, 40 years after death, 45 years from the first visit to Japan. In the year of such an important milestone", Mark Bolan deserves the use of K2HD Pro technology, applied to the Original Master Tape (not to the old Digital file) and to be printed in SHM too.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  25. toilet_doctor

At the same price ($23.56) Uni is releasing 10 albums of Savoy Brown Blues Band in September w/new 2017 remastering and SHM pressing in Mini LP for a first time.

Sep. 27, 2017

Savoy Brown Shake Down
    Savoy Brown Getting To The Point
    Savoy Brown Blue Matter
    Savoy Brown A Step Further
    Savoy Brown Raw Sienna
    Savoy Brown Looking In
    Savoy Brown Street Corner Talking
    Savoy Brown Hellbound Train
    Savoy Brown Lion's Share
    Savoy Brown Jack The Toad
    Savoy Brown Boogie Brothers

(from the comment)
    "Savoy Brown is a British blues band formed in the 1960s, originally known as the Savoy Brown Blues Band. Their 1969 single, Train to Nowhere (with singer Chris Youlden), was viewed by many as the last gasp of the blues scene in Great Britain. Although Savoy Brown never reached much acclaim in their home nation, they developed a loyal core following in the United States, where they promoted their albums with non-stop touring."

"Cardboard sleeve reissue from Savoy Brown. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design. Includes an obi, faithfully replicating its Japan first pressing LP design. Features remastering in 2017 based on the UK original master tapes. Comes with lyrics and a description."

(translation)
    Shake Down [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Savoy Brown Blues Band
    [Savoy Brown debut 50th anniversary paper jacket / SHM-CD collection] Savoy Brown led by Kim Simmons, one of the so-called three major British Blues bands, pioneered the same three-family Fleetwood Mac and Chicken Shack A released debut album. A black vocalist is set in front and a cover covering the blues standard by Willy Dixon etc. straight. (1967 work)
    ● The paper jacket which reproduced miniatures of the UK first press LP
    ● The band which reproduced the design of Japan's first edition LP
    ● 2017 latest remaster sound source based on British Original · Analog · Tape
    ● Commentary / lyric

Blue Matter +1 [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Savoy Brown
    [Savoy · Brown debut 50th anniversary paper jacket / SHM-CD collection] Third album which Tony Stevens (b) newly joined, was made with the best known in the band history. Individual skills and ensemble among members are more aged, playing good quality blues freely from hard to slow. The first half (A side of LP + bonus track) is a studio, the latter is a live recording. (1969 work)

Rowe Siena [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Savoy Brown
    [Savoy · Brown debut 50th anniversary paper jacket / SHM-CD collection] Chris · Jullen 5th album, who was also the last participating work and producer with Kim Simmons. In addition to the introduction of brass and strings from previous work, it also has a high calling with the highest masterpiece, showing the bands that have greatly scaled up from the white blues, such as muddy rock numbers featuring slide guitar and jazzy instruments. (1970 works)

Some reviews:
    "Getting to the Point marks the debut of a vastly different lineup, still led by Simmonds but now fronted by new vocalist Chris Youlden. The pair got off to a good start by writing or co-writing most of the album. The playing is solid blues revival, and though Youlden's vocals are often overly imitative of B.B. King and Muddy Waters, he has a confident voice and frontman persona. Originals like "Flood in Houston" and "Mr. Downchild" provide the highlights." -- Keith Farley

"Blue Matter, the third release by Kim Simmonds and company, but the first to feature the most memorable lineup of the group: Simmonds, "Lonesome" Dave Peverett, Tony "Tone" Stevens, Roger Earl, and charismatic singer Chris Youlden. This one serves up a nice mixture of blues covers and originals, with the first side devoted to studio cuts and the second a live club date recording. Certainly the standout track, indeed a signature song by the band, is the tour de force "Train to Nowhere," with its patient, insistent buildup and pounding train-whistle climax. Additionally, David Anstey's detailed, imaginative sleeve art further boosts this a notch above most other British blues efforts." -- Peter Kurtz

SAVOY BROWN - Tolling Bells (1969) - w. lyrics

Savoy Brown - It Hurts Me Too

Raw Sienna: "This high-water mark by the band finds them softening their rougher edges and stretching out into jazz territory, yet still retaining a blues foundation. There's not a bad cut here, with enough variety (bottleneck slide, acoustic guitar, horns, and strings) to warrant frequent late-night listenings. "A Hard Way to Go," "Needle and Spoon," and "Stay While the Night Is Young" are especially strong, as are two instrumental numbers. Unfortunately, leader Kim Simmonds lost his greatest asset when vocalist Chris Youlden quit for an ill-fated solo career after this recording. Youlden had one of the most distinctive voices in British blues, and Savoy would never fully recover from his exit." -- Peter Kurtz

SAVOY BROWN - RAW SIENNA [FULL ALBUM] - YouTube

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017