KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right, but the comment makes him look small, regardless. Since Peter's issues are with P&G anyway, he should direct his barbs at them. Leave Eric out of it, as he obviously isn't the one calling the shots in the band.

2. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Peter was a great drummer (despite my snide remarks earlier) his love of jazz & swing gave the classic era..... class. A flavor another drummer may never have, and where would we be now?

Cheevyjames, Paulo Alm and npgchris like this.
  3. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Very well said, sir! :tiphat:

I have tremendous respect for what Jason has done with this thread, and I hope he can reconcile his personal need to do an A+ job with the reality that he doesn't always have time for it. I'm with you; if the situation dictates, post the YouTube link to the song of the day and leave it at that. We can do a fine job of making ourselves look like "jackasses" without anybody else's help. :cheers:

[On an unrelated note, I spent a little time in the "Van Halen 2017 plans" thread earlier today, and I saw some contributions from both you and @vamborules. Holy s##t! The dysfunction in the VH camp seems to out-do even all the crap that's gone on in the KISS world, post-Farewell Tour! I had no idea!]

4. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

That is not the solo that Vinnie wanted on the song. Paul has mentioned in the past arguing with Vinnie to just do the solo the way we hear it on the song. Paul said he wanted something akin to a horn solo in a more traditional song. Vinnie argued for something much more busy, played very fast. Vinnie just couldn't get behind the notion of such a basic, no-frills solo, at all.

Agreed he deserves props for his songwriting. As with most of the songs that Vinnie co-wrote in KISS, I'm sure way more than half of the work was done by him.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I like the song a day. Kiss has a lot of songs it's not an artist that has like 10 albums. The thread would whither away I think if we did a song every few days. Maybe a day or 2 between albums to catch up could be the happy medium??

6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Yeah, I love the song but it's a dud live. Then again this album as a whole falls flat for me live, and there's one track in particular that really pisses me off live

William Smart likes this.
  7. William Smart

I was gone Tuesday and Wednesday (did ya miss the insanity? :winkgrin:) and have been playing catch up ever since. So 2 songs a week even works for me brother. I think we're just all saying we'd really miss your insight and presence. But we all support you in any decision you make. You come b4 this thread. Peace, Iam

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

btw. i had the quote wrong.

peter actually said "at least my job isn't to get up every day and play the role of eric singer" or something like that. never said anything about eric not having a job. my mistake.

9. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I Love it Loud - This one I really like and pretty much always have. In fact it might be the only '80s KISS song I actually liked in the 80s.

I was really down on them then not just no longer interested. I actively disliked the stuff they were doing. I wouldn't say it made me angry exactly but maybe something close to that. It's just that I couldn't stand the way they had gone from being so cool to being so monumentally uncool. At least in my view they had. And really bugged me.

Anyway, this is the one song where I'd sort of reluctantly concede, okay that one's good.

And I still really like it now. I don't go to their shows so I'm not burned out on it. I can't think of much more to say but this, to me, is one of their best post-70s songs.

10. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I think a lot of fans would love this song a lot more if they weren't so burnt out on it. I Love It Loud is a great anthem. It's just been played to death. Plus, it doesn't work that well as a live song. The recording is perfect though.

11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I forgot to mention the drums. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not that crazy about the drum sound on this album. But on this particular song it definitely works, and it made the song stand out back in the MTV days. Even on the tiny speakers of an 80s TV it would just boom out.

Plus it just goes with the song, with what the song is trying to be. They're sort of anthemic in themselves. If that's a thing that even makes sense. Anyway they're very effective here..

12. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I think this thread would suffer greatly if @GodShifter didn't continue to steer the ship. As much as you may prefer the song-a-day pace, if it's too much for him, and he needs to pull back, so be it. It's not like he's getting paid to do this; he's doing it for all of our benefit.

I remember him saying at the start that he would want to bail after DYNASTY, or CREATURES, or whenever it was, and I feel like a bunch of us had to twist his arm to try and convince him to see this thing through. If the guy is feeling pressured by this, and it's becoming way more of a chore than being fun, we need to respect that and just take it at whatever pace works for him. I agree with @SizzleVonSizzleton that if he tries to pass the baton to someone else it's just not going to work out well. I'm not even sure why I believe that to be so, but I just have a strong gut feeling about it...

13. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I always felt "Creatures" was one of their better concert openers, up there with "Detroit Rock City", "Deuce" and "I Stole Your Love".

On some tours "I Love It Loud" sounded great, on other tours, lethargic. I think it's a good enough tune, and I'm sure audiences like the stupidly simple sing-a-long it features, but if you've seen KISS live enough times, or watched a variety of their concert videos, you definitely get burned out on it. Gene must feel that if this song gets removed from the setlist, the world will spin off its axis. Same with Paul's insistence on "Love Gun".

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"I Love It Loud", decent song, I liked it when I first heard it in 1983 (or so), it's ok song for me still. And I remember seeing this on tv a lot back then.
    I like the fake fade out and then coming back in, that must have been a painful song for any dj:s in the radio playing this one:D
    The drums are bombastic, huge and loud, but completely lack the real dynamic and sense of sounding like powerhouses (like Led Zeppelin's John Bonham).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. William Smart

AMEN!

16. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Great thread but I wish yall would do a thread for each album (so us late to the party can join in) instead of this one long run format OH well Im on page 8 of 450+ Ill see yall in 5 years when I catch up LOL

17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I Love It Loud

I used to like this song, but then one day I realized that the chanting at the start and at the end reminded me too much of I Know What Boys Like by The Waitresses. Don't play it no more.

--Geoff

18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Paul at least always waited to see if things were successful before he jumped on board so by default they were always behind except right at the start because they were into what was happening and they had no back catalogue. I've read that even Wicked Lester had certain contrived songs or arrangements. Their keyboard player said that. To me Kissin' Time was an extension of that even though it was Bogart's idea. DTK I would agree might be their first where they were thinking before writing but some of it was written in the studio, right? To me, Ladies In Waiting is them whereas Rock & Roll All Night was somewhat contrived though it was a good way to get them thinking what they were about. They already had parts around that made that song I believe so not entirely contrived but a healthy mix. I wonder where Paul and Gene look now that the bands they looked to in the 80's & 90's are also looking around themselves.

Matthew Tate, npgchris, Tippy and 2 others like this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

His work on Revenge is pretty outstanding...Unholy and Spit stick out in my mind. I was a HUGE fan of Singers pre-KISS. I love his work on Black Sabbath's Seventh Star and Eternal Idol.

20. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

One thing I've found really interesting in going through the Creatures songs is that I had no idea Vinnie wore the makeup for as long as he did. I wasn't a KISS fan at the time so I've only heard things in an historical context. I always had the impression that Vinnie wore the makeup for like 2 weeks or something; had no idea it was for a full tour.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

And it was the coolest make-up of them all!

22. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Nah, Gene's is still the coolest for me.

23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I didn't see anyone comment on my question. I don't recall if they typically did it at a much faster tempo live. In my opinion it doesn't work near as well at the faster tempo.

24. Terrapin Station

Well, and who would do it? I wouldn't want to, because (a) sometimes I have to push myself to even get to the tune of the day before my opportunity during my working hours is over (although it might be easier if we posted the song earlier--I'm very much a morning person, so I get a lot done very early . . . which has always been frustrating to me as a musician--that's one reason I like doing projects like I am now; I get to call my own hours), and (b) I tend to flake out when I have a non-paid responsibility that's not very important for any practical reason . . . I'm actually a bit surprised at myself that I've managed to keep up with the thread so far.

There are certainly other thread regulars who are capable, some certainly moreso than I--because they've kept up on historical and background info about the band much better than I have, but are they willing and would they be more steady and dependable, less flakey about it than I?

Godshifter has been a godsend re his reliability, dedication and the amount of work he puts into this.

25. Terrapin Station

Aw, man--I love that tune.

William Smart, ejluther and Curveboy like this.