The (Newest) New Gong Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by beccabear67, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore. Thread Starter

Has anyone else seen this? It's been tried, and failed before. Can anything stand the ghost of a chance of even getting halfway to the greatness that was '70s Chuck Barris Gong Show?

Well, it was an hour, showed highlights of upcoming shows with different celebrity judges, and the wrong act won the trophy (a couple spitting bananas into mouths when it should have been the middle-aged guy wiz with the skipping rope). The thing I want to know is who is the ropey old Brit stereotype host? He has a photo of HRM to one side with a tiny Union Jack flag and comes off like a cross between Alan Carr (the Chatty Man) and Mike Myers (seemed to call the audience cheeky monkeys one time too many). He did a pretty good job really, comparable to Alec Baldwin on the (Newest) New Match Game, and if he gets better after this first episode the show might be around awhile. I'll be watching the next one at the very least, ABC Thursdays with a repeat on Saturdays around here.

Tommy Maitland or Mike Meyers with prosthetics?
    [​IMG]

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I watched the first show and enjoyed it. While it wasn't the same as the original Gong Show I think it has potential. One thing I noticed is the addition of acts that were intentionally "gongable" to extend the length of the show.

While I thought Tommy Maitland okay as the host, I agree that he seemed to be too close to Austin Powers. I hope that he begins to flower as a host.

I did like that it seemed like the hosts were having fun (although I've always thought that no act that comes on first should receive a 10, not because they weren't good, but to give the latter acts a chance to get a higher score [if you give the first act a 10, all you can give a better act is a 10]). I hope they have a variety of hosts appear.

I will wait and see.

3. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

An hour IMO is too long...part of what made the original great was it was a half hour show...just enough for zaniness and just enough to keep interest for the length of the show. Plus i'm not really sure the judges, particularly Will Arnett got what the show was supposed to be about. On the other hand I have to say Zach Galifinakis looked amazing!

GodShifter and beccabear67 like this.
  4. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Haha ditto Austin Powers. That's exactly who he reminded my wife of.

5. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Why not just host the show as himself? This alternate personality is uninteresting.

6. beccabear67

Because there is no actual Mike Myers left anymore I think. That person was last seen in 'So I Married An Axe Murderer' and was found to be box office poison.

MikaelaArsenault and Isamet like this.
  7. Solitaire1

I saw So I Married An Axe Murderer and didn't think it was a bad movie. I think it was the movie The Love Guru (his last major movie) that seriously hurt Mike Myers at the movies.

I didn't find Tommy Maitland uninteresting but I think it will take time for the character to fully gel. I did find the character a bit distracting because I kept trying to see Myers under the makeup (the Austin-Powerish attributes of the character didn't help). I wish they had been able to keep the secret of who Maitland really is (like Andy Kaufman was with Tony Clifton for a time), or choose come up with a character that is more original so we can see the character as a person on screen.

MikaelaArsenault and beccabear67 like this.
  8. beccabear67

I don't understand. Tony Clifton is still around, Andy died some time ago. :confused:

Well he fooled me a little, I wasn't 100% sure Tommy Maitland wasn't some real guy I'd just never heard of until after the show when I looked him up online. I'd still like to try to keep that 1% uncertainty at least. I hope they find some good regular judges like the '70s show had with Pat McCormick, Artie Johnston and J.P. Morgan... maybe Paul Schaffer?

9. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

:o I had no idea that was Mike Meyers.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Tommy Maitland persona is really boring..........

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Not a good idea.

12. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Andy Kaufman was Tony Clifton. However, in order to keep the illusion intact, occasionally Bob Zmuda would play Clifton and appear at the same time as Andy.

Since Andy's death, Bob Zmuda has played Tony Clifton.

13. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

No Gene Gene the Dancing Machine? No Unknown Comic? No thanks.

RickH likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I saw Tony Clifton in concert about 7 years ago and it was probably the greatest experience of my life.

As for the Gong Show... I danced along to Gene Gene The Dancing Machine in my diapers and cut eye holes in all my mom's paper bags. This show is sacred territory for me. I was initially against this resurrection as I think it can't work without Chuck Barris flying high on coke but I must admit I enjoyed the program. It's much more relaxed than the old show but that's ok. Myers, who I generally don't care for, is strangely appealing as the host. And the acts are ridiculous and awful, just as they should be. Anyway, I'm on board and will continue to watch. I think their hearts are in the right place.

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

Has anybody seen the new Gong Show yet? What's it like so far?

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  16. Solitaire1

See Post #2.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you very much.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So it's Mike Myers doing a bit for every show? What a stupid idea.

19. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I saw that show, it rocked, my fave was the dude on the uni-cycle playing the bag pipes!:cool:

beccabear67 likes this.
  20. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Didn't Gene die a few years ago?

21. beccabear67

Eugene Patton, died March 9, 2015 :cry:

22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Gota say it's growing on me.

23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I'm enjoying it. Good dumb fun.

24. shokhead

Thought it was a bad face lift but no clue either it was him. lol

25. shokhead

Kind of got a kick from the banana eaters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.