Do You Own The Marantz SA8005? I'd love to hear from you . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

A few questions:

1. How well does it handle redbook? I have a Yamaha CD-S300 right now and I am hoping the Marantz SA8005 would be an upgarde on redbook playback.

2. How well is the SACD playback?

3. How does the Yamaha CD S1000 compare to the Marantz SA8005?

4. If I decide to keep my (small) CD-300 as well, could it be kept stacked on top of the SA8005? Or is that a bad idea? (Space is limited, unfortunately.)

5. Where would be the best place online for me to buy the Marantz and try it out at home, with no risk? Amazon (30 day trial, but I have Prime)? Music Direct (60 day trial)?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    c-eling likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Proper EQ added via Sub-Q tag for Pre-emph compact discs?

3. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Man I can't answer your questions directly. But I own the SA8005. It seems like a great player.

Is it worth the $1200? Probably. Is it the best deal ever at that price? I don't think so. I'd wait for the SA8006 to come out and pick one up for cheap. I got mine for $900 ish for an open box, so I'm a bit biaised that I wouldn't be thrilled to pay $1200. If I knew about the line magnetic CD 215 I would have just gotten that.

I think either option if amazon or music direct. I've had good results with both but perhaps someone can chime in

ssmith3046 likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I use a SA8003 player and it's the only SACD player that I'll ever need.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

You don't realize how incredible it sounds until you try to find something to top it that isn't 3X the price.

6. Gizmo90

The NA8005 is the same thing essentially for $500

7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Having heard both, I can say this is not the case.

To the OP questions: 1-Don't know. 2-Very good. At least the equivalent of the old Sony 5400, just a slightly warmer, more mid-hall presentation. 3-Don't know. 4-The 8005 doesn't get particularly hot, so no issues stacking. 5-If you're thinking about possibly returning it, I'd go with Music Direct. I've had no issues with them in the past returning stuff that didn't live up to expectations. Just make sure you keep it in perfect condition.

John K.

8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I own the SA-8005 and have had it for almost 3 years. I find the Redbook playback to be excellent and SACD very good but not a huge improvement over Redbook. I have not heard the Yamaha but would like to. I feel the Marantz is worth the price. I personally would not recommend stacking anything on the Marantz as mine gets very warm to the touch. I bought my Creek integrated amp from Music Direct and would recommend buying from them. If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer.

PATB and George P like this.
  9. Gizmo90

I think i'd get a nice Sony like that if I got the chance.
    Interesting, I own both too. I should A/B them properly.
    I felt they more or less sounded the same. Maybe the SA8005 has a bit more air or coolness and the NA8005 has more natural not as airy tone.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Am I missing something but isn't the NA8005 just a network player/DAC and doesn't have a transport?

11. nwdavis1

nwdavis1 Forum Resident

I have an 8004 and it is very good.

Mr Bass and ssmith3046 like this.
  12. Gizmo90

Yeah, that's my thoughts, I do think they sound a bit different however. One does use an ei core transformer (blocky one)and the other a toroidal. Ones made in China the other is Japan

This weekend I am going to put identical files on two flash drives and A/B the two. I dont have the most revealing speakers but well see what happens.

13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I have a Marantz 8004 in my small HT and an Esoteric in my main system. The Marantz is a bit more forgiving which is good with movie soundtracks and concert DVDs. The Esoteric is slightly more accurate and reveals more of well recorded digital. I really like the Marantz sonics in the HT over my earlier Oppo. These characteristics hold for SACD and Redbook IME.

bruce2 likes this.
  14. George P

I finally ordered one of these and it arrives tomorrow! I am going to keep my Yamaha CD 300 as part of the system as well, using the same brand/make of interconnect, that way I can accurately compare the differences between the players. I'll post my impressions in this thread. And later on, I'll have an extra player to use, just to have options. I'm really excited to hear how the SA8005 sounds in my system!

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

George P and ShallowMemory like this.
  16. George P

For those of you who do own the SA8005, which settings do you use for optimum audio quality? Looking at the manual online, I already see two things that Marantz recommends to improve sound quality, so I thought I would check and see if you guys have found more. Here's the two I have found:

1. Set "Digital Out" in the menu to off. (In stop mode, press Setup on remote. Use up and down arrow to select "Digital Out," then press Enter. Use up or down arrow to choose OFF, then Press enter. "DOFF" will now show on the display, indicating that the digital output is now off.)

2. Press DIMMER button to turn the display off.

guestuser likes this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I always listen with the digital out set to off since I have no use for it. However I usually do not turn off the display. I listen to a lot of long classical pieces and like to see the time and track listed. I can't hear a difference when I turn off the display.

18. George P

Thanks, do you use the Source Direct button on the remote? I find it odd that the manual points it out as being on the remote, but does not discuss it or explain what it is. Ohhhh....maybe that button is for the amplifier that is paired with the SA8005? I keep forgetting that the remote has buttons that are not used for the SA8005. I wish that wasn't the case. I'd prefer a simpler remote.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

That probably applies to the Marantz integrated amp not the disc player. The remote mine came with has functions for cd player and amplifier.

George P likes this.
  20. George P

Yeah, thanks! I figured that out just before reading your post and edited mine.

21. George P

OK, my SA8005 arrived and I have it hooked up to my amp, using an burned in interconnect. Right out of the box redbook CDs sound incredible! More lively and brilliant than my old Yamaha CD300, that's for sure!

First thing I noticed is that the SACD and CD layers of some of my Mofi Hybrid SACDs sound quite different, most of them sounding better on the CD layer! Is that just because the unit is new and needs to be burned in a bit? Does it take longer for SACD playback to reach optimum levels than CD playback?

Dax_Frost and Dave like this.
  22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Congratulations hope you enjoy your Marantz! Not sure about break in but it is possible. I agree Redbook sounds great on this player. Enjoying mine as I type this.

23. George P

:wave:

Have you compared the two layers on any of your Hybrid Mofis on the SA8005?

24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

No. Can you give me a couple examples of one's where you preferred the CD layer and I will compare them if I own them?

25. George P

Doobie Brothers - Takin It to the Streets
    Foreigner 4

One I liked the SACD a lot more - Dylan - Bringing it all back home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.