Kraftwerk More Influential Than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamo spingal, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

nah nothing to do with the Beatles at all, they didn't influence anybody :-

'Folk lovers had looked to Bob Dylan to save their movement from rock and roll. But, author Wald says Dylan felt differently about the music genre.
    "Dylan had always liked rock and roll and Dylan didn't think of rock and roll as stupid music."

In fact, Dylan was a Beatles fan. He later said that from the first time he heard the Beatles he knew "they were pointing to the direction where music had to go."

"Honestly, once the Beatles hit, I think the writing was on the wall. But when Dylan went with the Beatles on that one: that was that. That was essentially the end of the folk scene as a huge mainstream pop trend."

theMess likes this.
  2. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

And this one, from the link. :)

Jim B. likes this.
  3. Chimichurri

Chimichurri Forum Resident

4. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

That's part of the humor of it, at least to me.

5. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

fyi - where Dylan thought the direction for music to go wasn't actually where it went.

Aghast of Ithaca likes this.
  6. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

They came both from a very wealthy family. In an interview Flühr told that's why they stopped being dressed like hippies when changing their style of music (which is: electronic music instead of krautrock) and purchased some fine costumes and expensive handmade shoes. Their way of dressing (and haircuts) was indeed very different from all the other musicians in 1974 ... :)

Funny thing the members of Kraftwerk were also some kind of role models in fashion for many musicians in synthwave bands from the early 80s who chose that time often also for short haircuts (well, also due to punk), white shirts, suits and dark neck ties....

Some examples, the band Blancmange:

[​IMG]

OMD:

[​IMG]

Heaven 17:

[​IMG]

Bernard Sumner of New Order:

[​IMG]

Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    dammitjanet and e.s. like this.
  7. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

"Nowhere" doesn't mean nowhere in the geographical sense, because no matter where you go, there you are. If mellotron was the only thing misspelled in my lengthy treatise that would be a miracle indeed. :winkgrin:

As for seven pieces of gear proving Kraftwerk are trailblazers, that's sorta like sayin' a big Stetson made Tex Ritter a trailblazing country singer in fictionalized movies about the old west.

:cheers:
    Cat

ianuaditis and theMess like this.
  8. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

There's also an "entirely rational argument" that that argument is at best questionable and at worst wrong.

9. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

But I'm being told they are SO influential. LOL!

10. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

More bands I've never heard of or barely heard of. Influential perhaps to the obscure, so whatever floats your boat I guess!

11. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Hardly obscure.

Synthfreek, Echo and Standoffish like this.
  12. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

As always, JeatlePyle, your concerns have been noted.

13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In my book krautrock is progressive rock.

theMess and strummer101 like this.
  14. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I have a quote here from one of the members of Krafwerk but here is just a small sampling The Beatles impact on other musicians as well. Nothing against Kraftwerk but I would The Beatles overall contribution and influence on music against anyone in pop/rock music.

Karl Bartos of Kraftwerk

"Sampling has been around since the Beatles they did it all. There is no difference between using tapes and digital machinery."

Keith liked the Beatles because he was quite interested in their chord sequences. He also liked their harmonies, which were always a slight problem to the Rolling Stones. Keith always tried to get the harmonies off the ground but they always seemed messy. What we never really got together were Keith and Brian singing backup vocals. It didn't work, because Keith was a better singer and had to keep going, oooh, ooh ooh (laughs). Brian liked all those oohs, which Keith had to put up with. Keith was always capable of much stronger vocals than ooh ooh ooh.

- Mick Jagger

The Beatles) were perfect for opening doors... When they went to America they made it wide open for us. We could never have gone there without them. They're so ****ing good at what they did. If they'd kept it together and realized what they were doing, instead of now doing Power to the People and disintegrating like that in such a tatty way. It's a shame. The Stones seem to have done much better in just handling success.

- Keith Richards,

Roger McGuinn

When the Beatles had come out, the folk boom had already peaked," McGuinn notes. "The people who had been into it were getting kind of burned out. It just wasn't very gratifying, and it had become so commercial that it had lost its meaning for a lot of people. So the Beatles kind of re-energized it for me. I thought it was natural to put the Beatles' beat and the energy of the Beatles into folk music. And in fact, I heard folk chord changes in the Beatles' music when I listened to their early stuff like 'She Loves You' and 'I Want To Hold Your Hand.' I could hear the passing chords that we always use in folk music: the G-Em-Am-B kind of stuff. So I really think the Beatles invented folk-rock.

Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead

"The Beatles were why we turned from a jug band into a rock 'n' roll band," said Bob Weir. "What we saw them doing was impossibly attractive. I couldn't think of anything else more worth doing"

Bob Dylan

"They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid. They were pointing the direction music had to go.

Bill Buford:

What sparked that original creative spark that
    became prog rock?

The Beatles. They broke down every barrier that ever existed. Suddenly you could do anything after The Beatles. You could write your own music, make it ninety yards long, put it in 7/4, whatever you wanted.

Robert Fripp on hearing the Beatles Sgt Pepper

Robert Fripp- "When I was 20, I worked at a hotel in a dance orchestra, playing weddings, bar-mitzvahs, dancing, cabaret. I drove home and I was also at college at the time. Then I put on the radio (Radio Luxemburg) and I heard this music. It was terrifying. I had no idea what it was. Then it kept going. Then there was this enormous whine note of strings. Then there was this colossal piano chord. I discovered later that I'd come in half-way through Sgt. Pepper, played continuously. My life was never the same again".

15. Ninja Bomber

Ninja Bomber Forum Resident

Gawd, that's funny. Love it. :laugh:

Right, I'm off to listen to some electropop while I set fire to one of my guitars. BRB

16. Ninja Bomber

Only problem is, people where using tape machines for sampling, noise-making, and music in general before the Beatles even existed.

17. NYSPORTSFAN

If you can find examples of a song that combines the elements before "Tomorrow Never Knows" please let me know?

You know the drum/bass/looping, drone and organized noise that you hear on many modern electronic songs

18. Ninja Bomber

Well, that's cute.

19. Ninja Bomber

Desperately moving the goal-posts, I see? I never said anything about "combining the elements".

20. NYSPORTSFAN

However, the facts are without The Beatles led British Invasion you are not going to have the important musical dialogue that developed between the British and American rock acts. Just imagine what 1960's rock music would be without The Beatles/Byrds connection or The Rolling Stones direct influence on many American Rock Garage rockers.

The facts are Dylan said the following:

Bob Dylan

"They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid. They were pointing the direction music had to go.

21. NYSPORTSFAN

Not really just stating facts. I mention a comment about one of the members Kraftwerk said about The Beatles and you basically dismissed it. I never said The Beatles invented sampling but arguably they did have a direct influence on modern electronic music long before Kraftwerk. A similar comment about The Beatles was made about them from another legendary Krautrock band Can.

22. Ninja Bomber

Yes, I did dismiss it, because without any further context, that comment is demonstrably wrong and does nothing to support the argument you were trying to make.

23. NYSPORTSFAN

Please explain? You do know just for example Jimi Hendrix didn't invent feedback or extreme distortion but revolutionized guitar playing in his genre. It's no different than what The Beatles were doing on their electronic based songs in the rock genre and arguably created a different form to many.

However, to go one point further The Beatles use of the studio for the sole purpose creating purely psychedelic music influenced everyone from Hendrix himself to the Chemical Brothers.

24. Ninja Bomber

You're not even reading my posts, are you? :confused: You're arguing against statements I've never made.

Enjoy yourself, I have no interest in carrying on here.

25. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Krafty response, but without incontrovertible evidence one way or the other it just don't werk. ;)

:cheers:
    Cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.