My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Fender Premium Sound? The guitar/amp company ? are they now doing car audio?

Bhob likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Replaced the spare wheel with a sub woofer! No spare no sale. More vital than a CD player.

4. There is a compact spare too...

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

really good sounding aftermarket units are not that expensive.....

6. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Certain systems will do as you say, but many do the indexing on their own, My 2014 Impala does it's own indexing and does not rely on the device. I had a Pioneer unit that would use what was stored in my iPod as far as indexing and it recognized the device as an actual iPod. The unit essentially became an extension of the iPod. The unit was marketed as being fully iPod compatible. GM on the other hand pretty much sees all devices as a generic mass storage device and indexes and controls everything itself, it does see the playlists though. (I believe this keeps GM from having to pay Apple and others for licencing fees for accessing and using their internal software. The Pioneer unit worked way better and way faster.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  7. chacha

bizarre. how long has this been going on?

8. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

No CD player, no deal. I'm not going to bring files into my car, I want physical media thank you very much. If the CD is important to me I'll just burn a CDR.

9. Not sure but it makes sense. B&O, B&W (in my old Audi) and other sound companies have got into auto sound integration.

10. Looks like FenderĀ® started putting sound right in VWs in 2011.

chacha likes this.
  11. chacha

[
    Single Coil through a Jensen - Fargegnugen!

Davidmk5 and Mazzy like this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, i'm not understanding what you're saying. Are you saying that you prefer CD because you have thousands of albums on your USB??? News flash! You can only have one or two albums on a CD!

And, we were discussing how you can't add aftermarket players to most modern vehicles.

13. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I'm a vinyl and CD guy. But in the car, I listen to my iphone through bluetooth. Listen to music all day long on the road for my job. I have no problem with the quality of the sound, and I LOVE the fact that everything on the phone (over 5000 songs) is at my fingertips. I'm even starting to run my ipod through my home stereo system when I want to listen to a playlist. Maybe my 60 year old ears are showing their age, but I don't have a problem with the sound. Especially when I turn it up! So.....even though I have a CD player in the car, it never gets any use anymore.

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

dont tell that to crutchfield.

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The 2013 Toyota RAV4 has a CD player, Bluetooth, a USB, recognizes IPod/IPhones, and an Aux line in. I didn't even test drive the RAV4 before buying and the only question I had was "does it have a CD player," luckily I had an old IPod.

The Aux line in won't play my FiiO X3, which sounded great through my previous car's Pioneer stereo.

The USB only plays MP3, not FLAC or Apple Lossless. I never tried to play an MP3 but most of CDs are already in Lossless.

I was going to buy the new Fiio x1 2nd Gen with Bluetooth but decided not to because I had read poor reviews of The Bluetooth in vehicles.

16. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

You people that will not embrace the idea of the use of files in a vehicle and will not buy a vehicle because it does not have a CD Player will be walking to your destinations soon, CD Players in vehicles will be as extinct as cassette players in vehicles are now.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hey! I didn't know this! Thanks for correcting me! Now I know!

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

How do you update something like that ? Download to a stick & do it through USB ? or is it something the Dealer does ?

19. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

My system is the same way , pulls up the files & knows the names /artists on screen , but the voice command is very hit or miss , even with cds ....... but a friend has a 2017 vehicle & his VC is about 95% on the money .

20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I haven't done it on one without a cd, but have done the cd head units many times. You download an ISO and just insert the cd and it will update. There are both firmware and grace note updates done this way. I would expect the newer USB units to be similar.

The HarmanBecker site is no longer up, but these guys have a lot of the updates for download. They also sell replacement hard drives, but I have no experience with them and no connection.
    MyGig Problem? | Easy Repair | MyGig RER RHR REN RHB RBZ RHW REW 730N 430N

21. BayouTiger

The head unit on my Ram has Siri enabled through my phone. I use Siri on my Apple Watch to control it. My absolute favorite feature of the watch.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  22. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I'll ask again, does any car USB input support flac?

23. BayouTiger

No joy on my Ram or wife's Range Rover, but I think they are both Harman units.

24. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Nissan isn't exactly at the forefront of car audio innovation. They seem to loathe providing anything new in this area.

Shuffle works. But it takes much longer than it should to scan the drive each time the system is turned on. On my 2016 Maxima with a 128GB flash drive that is only about 1/3rd full, it takes perhaps 1.5 minutes each time the car is turned on before the the music kicks in. Apparently Nissan engineers never heard of scanning the files once, then saving the index to internal memory (or to a file on the flash drive).

25. chodad

chodad Hodad

I nixed a new Kia Soul for that reason but I did like the car so I bought a used 2013 Soul with a cd player instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.