And In The End There Was "ABBEY ROAD"--1969--POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Listening to John talk at the beginning of this video you see why he was the leader of the Fabs even when Paul ran things later on 67--69. IMHO

2. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Yeah, raiding the LIB sessions for "Two of Us" and producing a new, AR-style version of "I've Got a Feeling" are fascinating ideas. That would have really fleshed out the first side of the album--and made the record as a whole a fitting goodbye from the band, to each other, and to their audience.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its amazing they even got themselves together to go into the studio, much less put out a really good album. I dont see this as the Beatles masterpiece as many do but it is an album full of really good songs and some cool harmonies.

Come Together is hands down the coolest Beatles song ever.

Something is the most romantic. Paul must have crapped himself when he heard it.

Here Comes The Sun makes every child smile. And that alone makes it one of the best.

Those are quite obviously the best songs on the album imo.

Paul...

She Came In Through The Bathroom window is Pauls coolest moment on the album and the harmonies are great. But is it really a "song"?

But really Pauls real songs are the weakest imo. Just one crappy little novelty song, a 50s style bop rock song in Oh Darling that John should have sang imo and a lot of snippet stuff that are cool and sometimes very pretty but again too dramatic for my tastes and not really songs. I always think Paul would have been a broadway performer and writer if not for The Beatles.

4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

2019-I can't wait for a "Pepper like" treatment of this album........it is well deserved and "THE" favorite Beatles group album for many people!

5. readr

readr Forum Resident

Absolutely one of their best.

6. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Favorite Beatle album. I love nearly every moment on this track. The band really sound like they are all enjoying making music together for the first time since like Revolver. Paul's vocals are nothing short of immaculate here. I don't care what anyone says, there's no way Lennon could have sang Oh Darling better or that he over sang on Golden Slumbers. It features some of the greatest harmonies in their whole discography. It also has Paul's best bass playing on any Beatles album imo. There's noticably less Lennon here than any Beatles album, which is a bummer, but George's masterpieces here more than make up for it. Side 2 speaks for itself, really. This is the one Beatles album that I can't burn myself out on.

angelees, DrBeatle, michanes and 3 others like this.
  7. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I think Octopus Garden should have more votes.
    It is not only a good Ringo song, it is a good song by anyone.

8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

"Because" is genius - IIRC George stated it was his favorite from Abbey Road

"Sun King" is gorgeous but I wish Lennon/Beatles had turned it into a complete song, it's way too short

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

To quote another poster in this thread

Paul: 18.43 minutes, 7 songs (+ Her Majesty).

John: 19.61 minutes, 6 songs.

10. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Because has George & Paul on it so it doesn't stick out as a John song

Sun King is wonderful, but too short (as you already mentioned), as is Polythene Pam & Mr. Mustard. The 2nd half of I Want You is a jam where Paul's bass really takes center stage imo.

He just doesn't feel as present here as he did on all the other albums to me, despite what the numbers say. Still, I think it's a prefect album (minus Maxwell, which is passable imo).

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  11. I went with
    ~"Come Together"
    ~"Something"
    ~"Here Comes The Sun"
    ~"Because"
    ~"You Never Give Me Your Money"
    ~"Sun King"
    ~"Polythene Pam"
    ~"Golden Slumbers"
    ~"Carry That Weight"
    ~"The End"

Honorable Mentions:
    The rest of the album... brilliant & perfect all the way through!!

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

13. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

This one (IMHO) hasn't aged all that well (most especially Side One). Side Two and the Huge Medleys are what redeems this one for me.

14. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

+1

15. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I like the album as a whole. It's almost like one piece of music divided among 17 pieces. Besides hearing some Beatles music on the radio when I was a kid, this was my first Beatles album I ever listened to from start to finish. My Mom bought the cassette back in 1987 and it made it's way to me. It's my second fave Beatles album after MMT.

16. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Funny. I can name quite a few albums where I like every single song. Sticky Fingers and Who's Next for example. Yes, Maxwell and Octopus are my least favorites. But I like Abbey Road better that most everything including the named Who and Stones albums nonetheless.

Even though I don't love every song equally, it is still an amazing album. I do favor side two; but its bloody Abbey Road and that is pretty much where my argument begins and ends.

17. michanes

michanes oh yeah

Yeah, as others have mentioned, Paul's bass is monster on I Want You and (not mentioned) that middle part of She Came In Through the Bathroom Window.

Not my fave Beatles LP but up there.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Come Together
    Side B medley

19. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The whole ****ing record is bloody brilliant.

20. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

The only song on this that is essential for me is "Here Comes The Sun".

I go against the grain from most but this is a lower-tier Beatles album for me.

21. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

They *should've* put DON'T LET ME DOWN on it in place of that awful dirge I WANT YOU (and *yes*: COME TOGETHER does sound like Chuck Berry's: YOU CAN'T CATCH ME:crazy:)

22. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Poor George. I can't begin to imagine the sacrifice, the torture I tell you, of being in a band with Paul McCartney.

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...an absolute MUST for the Abbey Road Super deluxe box!

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Good point. Poor George. :rolleyes:

ti-triodes and michanes like this.
  25. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Wow. I never focused on the Chuck Berry tune. There are some definite lyric "quotes" in Come Together (the blacktop bit). But it does not strike me as the same overlap as She's So Fine and My Sweet Lord which had far more musical commonalities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.