New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Hey man fair enough it's all good, but by writing the above you prove my point about that slightly condescending thing I was mentioning, it just seems unessisary to me... even though I'm sure it's just a funny sarcastic joke that amuses you etc. And just because I'm a Scientologist doesn't make it alright! Okay?! (Kidding not actually a scientologist, or am I?) anyway moving on.

I don't think I've ever raised the point that the two guys should have worked together, and I do love this album as it is (as stated before) I guess I just feel like it's within the rights of anyone who thinks the great unnamed guitar guy would have made Rogers new album better, should be able to say that... as pointless or nostalgic as it may be to anyone else reading. It's a music forum and all that. That's it really. Ok now go get those Colbert brow gifs out! ;)

Tony-A and rontoon like this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That does sound really good, the pops aside (which is my biggest hang-up with vinyl).

PDK likes this.
  3. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Your theory might be true, I never thought that Roger is a brilliant bassist, but I always liked his style, feel, and the way he served the music with his bass. When I listened to the complete album the first time, a few days ago, most of the bass on the album sounded like something that Roger will play (before I read the interview). In a few pieces I felt that, the bass lines fell a bit short, almost like a poor man Roger Waters bass lines if you like, maybe these were the parts he actually played :). Putting that a side, I really enjoyed the album. Only thing is, sometimes, when you are too direct, you either live or die by that in the long run, artistically speaking of course.

Paulo Alm, PDK and PretzelLogic like this.
  4. Tootles

Tootles New Member

Would that make her opinion any more valid than were she a "mere" listener? Srs down with elitism.

BYW I said before I'd put ITTLWRW on tape. I've now grabbed some images and made a sleeve for it, pretty pleased with myself. It's quite low-res, but to be honest there's a low-fi quality to the album with which it seems to fit. If anyone else is as lame as me, I'm happy providing a copy of the image I made.

Max Florian, PDK and j4yheindeo like this.
  5. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

We have way too much "cool"-ness in this thread. Myself included. Cool is not authentic.

We have a great album here... and seriously: How often can we say that?

Let us celebrate as one species! :D

6. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

"A hhhhhhhappy new year to you all"

Galeans, ohnothimagen, fer2 and 4 others like this.
  7. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Down to #114 in its third week :eek:

Slick Willie likes this.
  8. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

"Bird in a Gale" just keeps getting better and better. It's the best Floyd-related thing maybe since Mother or Comfortably Numb.

Stephen Gleadall and Cenobyte like this.
  9. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Such a killer song, super visual lyrics w/wicked heavy psych... I really just wish it was like 5 mins longer, is it bad that I want more? :D
    "Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Dogger: southwesterly and westerly, five, seven."

Stephen Gleadall likes this.
  10. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

This is the only Roger Waters solo album I've ever liked

11. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Who cares? It's still awesome.

Shak Cohen, Paulo Alm, fer2 and 5 others like this.
  12. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

13. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

Ultimate Classic Rock has compiled It's top 20 albums of 2017 - so far. ITTLWRW is top of the pile.

14. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

So you are in the same boat with Nigel Godrich.

Zeki likes this.
  15. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

It's not that Goodrich didn't like Waters. He just didn't like his solo albums and felt he could frame Roger in a better way.... and he did.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D

17. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Listened to this while gardening and digging in the dirt with earphones on, gotta say I got the chills at one point. I think it's really good and surprisingly I am wanting to listen more and more despite my guitar fixation concerns.

18. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

pretty much loving most of the album. 3rd LA show tonite special sauce

[​IMG]

deany76 likes this.
  19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Glad to see that my favorite classic rock albums of the year so far are all on that list.

New albums by the following:

Roger Waters
    John Mellencamp
    Deep Purple
    Styx
    Cheap Trick

(All in my top 10 so far)

I might have to check out the Buckingham/McVie album, Night Ranger album and the Blondie too. The Chuck Berry one listed sounds like it might be interesting, though I never collected any of his music before.

(I have the Bowie EP that is listed too but I don't consider that a "new" album. Just additional songs from Blackstar, which are also on the Lazarus Musical album)

20. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

Well, after at least 20 listens front to back, I haven't grown tired of this album, don't think I will for some time. I keep hearing new things in the mix every time I listen. I'd say at the moment "Picture That" is my favorite track, the only track I skip over, every now and again is "Is This the Life We Really Want?" Not sure why, sometimes it's the melody, sometimes it's the lyrics, the lyrics are very thought provoking and very much..."Roger," sometimes they rub me the wrong way is all. Happy listening. Cheers!

21. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

For me, "Is This the Life We Really Want?" is the best one on the album, well, maybe the most exciting to listen to... The all around groove of the music and the vocals, the buildup, the delivery. It's like a mixture of classic Roger, Radiohead and Serge Gainsbourg (Histoire de Melody Nelson - period) all mixed together.

mastaflatch and PDK like this.
  22. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

I love the droning instruments on "Part of Me Died" are friggin awesome! Very "Sea Change" (Beck) sounding. Must be a Nigell thing...

Also it's my favorite track, lyrically.

PDK likes this.
  23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I do love this album but not quite as much as Amused to Death.

opiumden likes this.
  24. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I put this album somewhere well behind The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and The Final Cut, edging out Radio KAOS and well above Amused to Death.

PDK and Paulo Alm like this.
  25. Hardhog

Hardhog Forum Resident

I've listened to the album many times now and I try to like it but I don't.
    It has a few good moments but feels overall booring
    I miss some freely playing/singing hammond, guitars and choir ( like gospel) in the production, more of a band feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.