Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Listening to my BNW now, sounding good so far. Quiet on the intro to the album and Ghost of the Navigator, if its an indication of whats to come then colour me happy.

UK/Euro release.

Jam757 likes this.
  2. RuffNinja

RuffNinja Forum Resident

The AMOLAD and DoD EU pressings also has Chris Bellman's characteristic signature in the dead wax. My pressings are dead quite and sounds quite good to my ears, way better than the CDs.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Purple likes this.
  3. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Yea! My four are marked Out For Delivery. I'll give them a cleaning when I get home and start playing them; looks like a great way to finish off a Monday!

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's quiet an epic undertaking if you play them back to back:righton:

BTW: I think these later Maiden albums do benefit from the double vinyl format. It's definitely more enjoyable to flip the records, take some breath, have a smoke and fix a nice beverage. instead of sliding a silver disc in and.... sit. In some cases for 70+ minutes.

5. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I don't think I'll get through all four today, but I plan to listen to at least two; Brave New World and Dance of Death.

Neonbeam and Szeppelin75 like this.
  6. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

Totally this! I was thinking this about DOD. Albums from the IPod era that seemed to go on forever track after track, seem less bloated and more engaging in this format. Its a psychological illusion I'm sure.
    I cant afford to buy them all so my original CD's will have to do. DOD was a CDR that someone illegally downloaded and burnt for me and I somehow missed The Final Frontier so will get that one as well. That supplements both Iron Maiden S/T and Piece of Mind (that ended up on C90's taped by mates back in the day) that I bought on the first wave. I may get Flight 666 ( I have the DVD) as a modern day upgrade on Live After Death although I still don't think this will ever be bettered although I do enjoy my CD 's of Death on the Road and En Vivo!

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

Yep - I was just thinking that - I played through side 2 of DOD before work this morning and really enjoyed the ride - the album is so dense that being able to play 2 or 3 tracks at a time really works in it's favour. I also think some of the so called 'filler' tracks on this record get a bad rap. Gates of Tomorrow is great for example. Another song that fares much better on the vinyl edition is the close Journeyman which benefits from a the clearer mix and better defined high end I enjoyed it much more than on CD. Looking forward to getting the remaining studio albums to complete the collection.

Purple likes this.
  8. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Well, go the album in and cleaned, all BMG. My BNW has some nasty looking scuffs and abrasion on The Fallen Angel. I played the CD version of the song before playing the record and it doesn't appear the crap on the record impacted how it sounds; happy about that. Mine is clean, quite, flat, and very crankable.

The rest of the discs looked great; no scuffs, scratches, or odd spotting. Someone a few post back mentioned red fibers, I did a few on the table after I was done cleaning, but I can't say which of the disc they came from . Playing disc 1 of DoD now and it sounds pretty damn good; not as good totally as BNW, but crankable and clear.

Rock On!

johnny q and Purple like this.
  9. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

Agree. Listening to my just-arrived AMOLAD now and while it will never be, as the cliché goes, "a sonic marvel," it sounds better than my original CD. A bit more space throughout. And some all-time top-shelf Maiden songs.

johnny q, Purple, Opeth and 1 other person like this.
  10. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Cool. Looking forward to the playing it and RIR tomorrow!

Opeth and rubberhead like this.
  11. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Rubberhead,

You just made the comment, while it, "AMOLAD", will never be a sonic marvel struck me after just finishing DoD. So far it's not the best of the lot, good but not the best, but it is F'ing Iron Maiden. Play it a the level Maiden should be played at, IMO, and they're all outstanding!

12. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

There are songs on Dance of Death I consider among their finest: "Rainmaker," "Montségur" and "Paschendale." That's enough to get going with.

13. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

It looks like I came across the wrong way. When I say "so far it's not the best of the lot", I meant sound quality wise against the other reissues, definitely not content. I love the album!

14. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Definitely. I'd also add the title track and 'Face in the Sand' to that list too. I'm a big fan of 'Journeyman' too. I haven't listened to the album for a few years but after playing the vinyl yesterday it still stands up as a strong Maiden album to me. I like how many of the songs are immediate, not so many long intros on this album.

Very happy with my EU copy. Nice and flat, surfaces not scuffed despite the card inners and nice and quiet (only 2-3 minor 'pops' during one song but not returning for that, rest is dead silent!). I really like the thick glossy gatefolds on this and despite the shoddy artwork the print quality looks good.

Must say, it's no sonic marvel but the LP smashes the CD to bits here. I quickly sampled the CD after and it's just too dull and mushy. The LP sounds more open and more breathable. The mix is still quite congested and compessed at times but a big improvement here. Some of the quieter intros sound amazing.

Now just waiting (impatiently) for the others to drop under £25...

Edit: Looking forward to BNW, that album for me sounds thunderous and it would be nice to hear it with a bit more headroom. Not sure why the albums after it sound so poor in comparison really, it just sounds right to me and it's a shame Shirley never used it as a reference. Nicko's snare sound on it is amazing, great attack and timbre.

Purple and rubberhead like this.
  15. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

Totally in agreement with this. Also about BNW -I always loved this sound of this one and it was one of the reasons that Dance of Death was initally a bit of let down with it's muddy production. Has anyone heard the stereo mixdown from the surround sound mix of DOD as this is apparantly the most dynamic mix ever created of the album - I'd be very interested to hear it.

16. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Just finished listening to AMOLAD and it sounds great. My discs are quiet, flat, and again highly crankable. I haven't listed to the entire album since it came out and I must say that I really enjoyed hearing it again in its entirety. I'm very pleased with the depth and openness of this issue!

jimhb, Purple and rubberhead like this.
  17. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I forgot to add that the album is a BMG.

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

So that's the US pressing?

19. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Yes.

20. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Is the new Brave New World a Bellman cut? If so, has anyone compared it to the non- Bellman US RSD pressing?

21. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Great to hear
    Great to hear this re-releases sounds pretty good!
    I bought the BOS on vinyl and that has the worst sound i ever heard!!

22. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

correction, TBOS.:)

23. spindoctor

spindoctor New Member

Can you give me opinions about the sound quality of this 2017 edition of BNW?

[​IMG]

24. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I completely disagree for the record. Much better than the CD

johnny q likes this.
  25. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Just wait longer. The prices go down. They always do.