PREACHER from AMC - The Next Biggest thing on TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

If they ever do "Ed The Happy Clown" for TV, I'm in.

EVOLVIST and ubiknik like this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just finished this series after burning through the episodes this past week. Pretty cool, but I have a question about the "word of god" or genesis or whatever it is Preacher has and how it was able to send Eugene to hell, if that's where he is. It seems to compel a person (or angel's) will, but wouldn't it need to be something they have the ability to do? Or can he look at someone and say "fly through the air like a bird and then transform into a bucket of KFC" and it would happen?

I love Tulip and crazy Odin, ranting about the "god of meat"!

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The second one.

4. agentalbert

Huh. That's quite the power, then. Why doesn't he just say "God - come to Annville" and avoid the whole road trip?

5. vince

Well..... he used the phone instead....
    I guess you have to be in close proximity to whom ever you're trying to control......
    .....I don't know.....

6. agentalbert

Or looking at a video conference projection of them. He used it on the god imposter.

vince likes this.
  7. vince

Oh, yeah..... that's right!

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

ya gotta love this show...

9. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

Just a few more days to love Season 2.

It's a little too bad that Season 1 was more of a prequel to the comic; nevertheless, I'm expecting big things from Season 2 as it starts where the comic pretty much begins. :)

10. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

This isn't at the level of either, but it's nice to have this starting right after BCS and Fargo end. Looking forward to it.

11. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Season 2 starts tonight on AMC! The previews have been looking good and I'm psyched.

misterdecibel and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

And starting off w/ a double hit! B-bang!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’m still in the midst of reading The Preacher, but I have been enjoying the AMC series very much.

14. agentalbert

Excited this is back. All hail the God Of Meat!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It still surprises me that ****-face is allowed to be shown on a regular network!;)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. EVOLVIST

I'm out in the boonies, but I'm still hoping to catch it tonight and tomorrow night. Probably on some little crap TV.

This season should be where the real fun begins.

17. EVOLVIST

Did you see tonight's episode? How did all of THAT end up in TV? :eek:

I thought the first episode of Season 2 started out great.

*SPOILERS*
    The only things that bugs me are the small things. Of course it's supposed to be over-the-top like a comic book on film; I like all of that. Still, if Tulip had a big problem with the taste of blood (never mind what else is in intestines), why didn't she wipe the blood off of her face? (They pull that all of the time in The Walking Dead, too.)

Also, why didn't they fill up the tank at the gas station? She couldn't have siphoned that much gas with her limited means in such a short period of time.

Anyway, I like the show because it doesn't take itself too seriously, and it's well made (for the most part).

Preacher really is popcorn TV at its finest. There are corny shows out there, but they are only corny because they pretend as if they're so lofty. I dig Preacher without all the pretenses. So, when they actually do get serious on Preacher, it carries more weight, simply because they've already set the precedent that they can do almost anything with this story.

JimW likes this.
  18. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Great episode. I loved the whole Come On Eileen sequence at the opening. Quite a rush with them all getting into the song during the chase. Yeah it was way over the top ... but fun. Agree about the blood on the face. I was expecting one of the first things they'd in the store was head to the bathrooms to wash the blood off of them. They like to make life hard for themselves it seems like. Why didn't he use his power on the police immediately? It would have prevented a lot of hassle. And why didn't that Bad-A minister have a gun? His best weapon was just that wimpy little knife? Seems to be the demographic that would have guns galore. Or would a gun even have worked at all on that Cowboy?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  19. vince

I never read the comic, but, I assume this is where Kevin Smith got the inspiration for parts of his movie, "Dogma"!

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

US cable channels such as AMC and FX are not held to the same FCC standards as broadcast networks. Unlike HBO, Showtime, Netflix, etc., they *do* have to worry about acceptable standards of their sponsors, so they all have their own broadcast standards and practices departments. I believe if a cable or satellite provider creates a channel for which they control the editorial content, then those channels *are* subject to the same level of FCC restrictions as broadcast networks.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. EVOLVIST

It seems that Jesse is still conflicted when to use Genesis. They enjoyed the thrill of the car chase, and the probably enjoyed being cuffed, but when Cassidy was in trouble he went ahead and used the voice, right? I think so. He used Genesis flippantly a couple of times, yet when they were grilling Tammy, Tulip didn't want him to use it. Then he used it on the Saint of Killers and it didn't work.

That's the thing about the Saint of Killers: nothing can kill him. Nothing works on him. The best you can do is slow him down.

22. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought the first episode was pretty good. I don't remember season one being quite this gory.

23. vince

Maybe it's me, but;
    like "This Is The End", Seth & Even's direction seems to miss some chances on making this even funnier that it is!
    Maybe it's their own choice to have a bit of smoke, and not to many 'wacky' camera moves, but, I think it would help the show more to have those things.
    The 'Cassidy/Fiore-party-scene' reminded me of "This Is..", when everyone dances around to "Gangem Style".

24. vince

Soooooo, God likes jazz?
    Does this mean we'll be getting more 'music talk' on this show?
    ..on top of the 'over-the-top' ultra-violence, of course!

25. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Great start to season 2 thus far...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.