T.V to external speakers solved...(nearly!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

Took forum advice on how to do this: ended up with optical "out" from the t.v into a cheap but well built dac,then L/R rca's into the amp. It works. I am sure it is better, if not at least more efficient than the headphone out I used previously.
    But! Wife not happy.....with the optical out to the amp, the t.v volume level cannot be set via the remote control,and the amp does not have that facility. Do I have to admit defeat, or there some configuration I could try that might allow the volume to be controlled via the remote?

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

There may be a setting in the TV's Sound settings to enable volume control on the optical out.

3. frimleygreener

Samsung seem to have "hidden" or hard to find sub menus....Will have to experiment....thanks:)

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

You aren't alone with this problem. The lack of remote control volume is what led me to settle for the headphone jack option. There IS a way to do this - it was in another very similar thread that dealt very specifically with this issue. I will try and track that down for you - or maybe the person(s) that posted the solution (it's a relatively inexpensive and small piece of hardware) will chime in by then.

The problem is compounded by the fact that fewer and fewer TV's have a headphone out or any kind of analog output. I guess they assume everyone has an AV amp or is going to listen to built in TV speakers - no in-between.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. frimleygreener

M y Virgin Tivo box has an optical out....I have read that this can be connected via toslink to a sound bar for audio, and of course the Tivo must be connected to the tv via hdmi....if that connection(TiVo to sound bar via toslink) works, would it work to my amp, thus allowing the tv remote to set volume?

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You'll need to switch from "fixed" audio output to "variable", if that is even an option in your sound settings.

7. frimleygreener

Exactly my dilemma...I have no compunction with setting volume via the amp....but her indoors and juniors....you get the picture(but no sound) :)

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

9. frimleygreener

I have just realized that my Arcam Delta amp can be controlled via a remote unit....which was not included when I purchased the amp. Seems Logitech offer a "universal" remote handset that is compatible with my 290 as well as my Cambridge Audio c.d player(and of course the tv and media box).....looks like my "problem" could be over.....but I shall remember the old adage "if pigs could fly".......

10. frimleygreener

Thanks for your help all.....job done! Optical out from the Virgin Media box(using dolby digital) into optical in/rca out dac connected via rca's into the av port on my amp....Then a programmed Logitech "universal" remote controller that manages the media box,the television,the amp,and a blue ray player.....the only limitation is that the device can only "store" five favourite tv channels...but hey..you can't always get what you want....can you?

Tim S likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Sounds like you're referring to the Logitech Harmony remote.

12. frimleygreener

Indeed. I t is the harmony 350. Effortless to set up and synch provided you have the full model numbers of what you want to operate.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Those things used to irritate us when I used to deliver and install TV/AV equipment. We would generally connect anything to your system, new and old, but when it came to those things we had a policy that if you didn't buy it from us then forget it. My own personal policy within that overall policy is that if you aren't smart enough to program one of those remotes yourself then you shouldn't own it (but I'd never say that to a customer). But I'm glad it solved your problem.

14. frimleygreener

Just the final link now....advice appreciated before purchase.....have a cheap bluray/dvd player....not used much but I do view some of my favourite music discs from time to time....so, I need an additional hdmi input to my tv(splitters easily available in the UK)....the Samsung player has no analogue out,the amp I am using has no optical in....so if I get an optical/analogue converter from bluray to amp,and use hdmi out from from player to tv,will all be well,or is that too simple?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.