Amazing "return to form" albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

This.

Not only the best album they ever made, it probably was one of the best albums by anyone that year

jdjones and extravaganza like this.
  2. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Nah I just meant I don't think Brian had very much to do with this Joe Thomas record.

3. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Randy Newman Bad Love
    Jackson Browne I'm Alive
    Elton John Songs From The West Coast

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think Made In England would qualify!

Brother Maynard and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

The Kinks - Sleepwalker
    The Knack - Zoom

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

How about Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die.

pool_of_tears and jlf like this.
  7. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell, Night Ride Home

Aurora, 7MusicFan6, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

The Allman Brothers-"Seven Turns"

pool_of_tears likes this.
  9. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member

10. Mr Vertigo

Mr Vertigo Forum Resident

I kinda agree about "The One" - the songwriting is great, but the production is terrible, makes the album sound really dated now. And talking about Elton, "Made In England" was another really fine effort, although the real comeback has to be "Songs From West Coast" in 2001, which is the closest he's come to the greatness of his 70's albums.

11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Aerosmith - Pump

Instant Dharma and klaatuhf like this.
  12. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin

Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct

13. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Scorpions - Unbreakable

14. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

"Songs From The West Coast" by Elton John is one of the greatest "return to form" album ever.

15. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

A more modern example for me would be Risk to Exist by Maxïmo Park. After producing three great albums in the first part of their career, they went off the boil and looked to be in a terminal decline when they released Too Much Information. Their new album is definitely their best this decade.

16. Granadaland

Granadaland Forum Resident

John Lee Hooker.
    The Healer/Mr Lucky/Chill Out

17. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I think you are mistaken, but to each his own.

18. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

The most recent releases from the Zombies, Jeff Lynne's ELO and the Waterboys were all quite good.

19. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Here's some welcome comebacks:

1. The Rolling Stones: Blue & Lonesome. 11 years after Bigger Bang, and possibly better than Bigger Bang, and best album since Tattoo You.

2. Ray Charles: Genius & Friends. Thanks for Bringing Love Around was horrendous, with an awful update to What'd I Say

3. Kris Kristofferson: A Moment of Forever; after years of political albums, it was great to hear him write some love songs.

4. Jerry Lee Lewis: Last Man Standing: OK, so it has guests galore, but the mix of rock'n'roll and country is fantastic. His previous album was an over-produced, over-dubbed Andy Paley affair. Before that, he had an horrendous time on MCA, with generic songs and Ron Chancey's over-production.

5. Bob Dylan: Oh Mercy. Great comeback. However, I love the follow-up, Under The Red Sky, as it is, possibly, one of the most underrated Dylan albums. It has some good songwriting, not great, but it still has some good material. Knocked Out Loaded, Down In the Groove, and Dylan & The Dead, are pretty thin gruel in comparison.

20. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

21. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Ah yes, the old "Brian doesn't make his own records" conspiracy.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I thought West Coast was too much of a departure from the vintage Elton, which is probably why people like it! I just think Elton's work needs studio production, and I don't think his voice lends itself to that dry T-bone Burnett unproduced production. But, it's just a matter of taste.

23. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Amazing "return to form" albums

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jlf likes this.
  24. Dean1006

Dean1006 Forum Resident

This seems odd to me. Are you talking about the Let it Be single? If you're talking the album, Let It Be, while recorded prior to Abbey Road, was released after. How could Abbey Road be an amazing return to form if it was released prior to LIB?

25. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Not really a conspiracy. "Return to form" for me implies (in Brian's case) writing and producing great music. Thomas describes in this interview how the songs are usually written
    The Joe Thomas Interview: On Brian Wilson, The Beach Boys Reunion, and That's Why God Made the Radio
    ... which involves basically running tape for hours on end until Brian comes up with a fragment that Thomas then would work up into a more fleshed out idea. If Brian says he likes it then it goes forward. Sometimes it is a few chords, sometimes it is a melodic riff, sometimes it is just a song title and idea. Yeah, I guess it is unfair to say that he is not involved (and he certainly still has his unworldly ear for harmony and vocal arrangements) but I personally don't consider any of this pieced together stuff to be part of the canon of one of the greatest auteurs pop music will ever hear from. Your mileage will obviously vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.