Tweaking a turntable....just right for $200?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spsesq, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident Thread Starter

Like most of you out there I will do almost anything (within reason) to tweak my turntable. I have the VPI Prime Scout, I run the 2M Black and I use the TTW carbon fiber mat and I have an Eagle and Roadrunner on the way.

Now I see this little colored phono transducer for $200 that can make the sound of your records amazing and improve Soundstage and do about everything except bring the artist into your room.

Has anybody used these? Can some one explain what a little colored weight balanced on your cartridge can do to the sound and how the different colored weights or transducers work?

I attached a Link to them below

Thanks for the education. Steve

Synergistic Research PHT (Phono Transducer)

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Wish I had something useful to contribute other than skepticism.

I'll go with :-popcorn:

Helom, c-eling and AmericanHIFI like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Take $200 and set it on fire. Make a wish about wanting the audiophile gods to impart magical sound on your rig.

Likely to have the same net effect.

4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

The frequent marijuana allusions in the product description copy are troubling credibility-wise. :sigh:

Stillhouse and Spsesq like this.
  5. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

LMAO!

Spsesq and patient_ot like this.
  6. Spsesq

Ok....I get it ...snake oil. Although I guess PHT is the audiophile version of THC...

BigGame likes this.
  7. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I know...it's almost too silly for words....but........I've been in demos of the Synergistic stuff at audio shows. I hate the sales spiel, I hate the voodoo, but sheesh, sometimes I actually hear a change. I remember the main guru sticking small dots on the ceiling in a Denver hotel room and 'something' did seem to change so I suppose it's possible that a little 'transducer' on the cartridge could have an effect. So far, my supposing has never translated into my purchasing, mostly because I cannot really warm to the explanations provided or the cost...but I am curious enough to listen if I had one handy.

So maybe this is where a group such as ours should crowdsource funds to buy a few tweaks and trial them across our rigs to report the audible results. Or not.

Benzion and Spsesq like this.
  8. Spsesq

That's not a bad idea...if 10-20 of us kick in $10-20 each and pass them around and share impressions. Its worth $1-20 to try them out....

Steve

9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Buy a $20 bag of weed. Will likely have the same effect of making you happy with the sound. Save $180 and give it to a local animal shelter or soup kitchen.

BigGame, dbsea, lobo and 2 others like this.
  10. Benzion

I'm in. $10-20 is well worth it.

11. Spsesq

Anyone else?

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Not just an improved soundstage, but an ear-popping, Cinerama-like, wraparound soundstage (according to Michael Fremer). That's a bit too much soundstage for my tastes, sorry.

Now if they could manufacture a shiny thing (or, "transducer") that could recreate a Strictly Vanilla Experience, I'd put a boogie dollar down on that.

Juan Matus likes this.
  13. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Lol. Absolute load of rubbish. One of the best I've seen. Right up there with wooden knobs and rocks to sit on your CD player. It's probably a joke.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I think I can make an exact copy of that for only $50 postpaid in US, if you're interested. Even lower per piece in a quantity buy.

timind and Benzion like this.
  15. Benzion

Amen to that.

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I got mine at Radio Shakti :p

Juan Matus and timind like this.
  17. Spsesq

Can anyone describe what. this thing is supposed to do, technically speaking? This reminds me of that crazy fad years ago that your would feel so much better physically if you wore a magnetic bracelet...

That's why I am inclined to agree it is BS. Even the website doesn't explain the "science" behind what a transducer does to a 5mv output cartridge by sitting on top of a head shell stuck to it with white fun tack. I guess for better sound I will stick to fine tuning my VTA. Hey, maybe that's why Michael Fremer gave it a great review...he had to adjust his VTA and tracking force when he put that thing on his cartridge...he just fined tuned what he had.....lol

18. Benzion

LOL, I'm wearing two now, on the same wrist. Copper with magnets. They don't make me feel better overall, but they sure help with chronic tendonitis in my elbow. Inflammation is reduced, a lot less pain. I am also of a skeptical mindset, and would gladly proclaim it snake oil, but - the next day after I take them off - pain comes back. Put them back on - pain subsides in a few days. I don't even sell them, so have no need to BS. I guess they help you in specific cases that could use them. If your case is different - you may never feel the difference and think it BS.

Apologies for going medical in an audio thread. Won't happen again, this just hit close to home.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No science is explained because there isn't any. Fremer does not have a technical background and is paid to shill products (when's the last time you saw him do a negative review?). My wife has two engineering degrees, I should show her this thing for a laugh. I'm sure there are some engineers lurking around this forum as well.

dcottrell6, Helom and Spsesq like this.
  20. timind

timind phorum rezident

I tried those for tennis elbow. Didn't do a thing for me.

Spsesq likes this.
  21. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I thought about getting this but just used a watch battery instead and saved some dough.

dcottrell6 likes this.
  22. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

Or you can tape a penny to the cart....

23. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Actually, I have to revise my opinion of Synergistic... on second thought, they've correctly identified stoned-out-their-mind ppl as the crowd most likely to have poor enough judgement to buy their products, and thus are pandering to them.

Shrewd marketing move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.