New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

IMHO, the new album is eons beyond Pros, KAOS, and ATD in quality. I would classify Pros as unlistenable.

Adam Bosman and Billy Infinity like this.
  2. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

I think Pros And Cons is pretty good from start to finish!

Galaga King, Dbstay, Bolero and 8 others like this.
  3. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I'm loving this album, and I still continue to love The Endless River too.
    I'm very pleased to have 2 masterpieces from Roger and Floyd in the space of only 3 years. :edthumbs:

4. Shak Cohen

Agreed. ATD is my favourite RW album.
    Both are 10/10 for me though.

5. Shak Cohen

I definitely need a 180g QUIET sounding vinyl reissue with UNCENSORED cover of P&C !

mando_dan and Paulo Alm like this.
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Just sayin', hard to beat the original Sax cuts on that one!

Tony-A, Kalli and mando_dan like this.
  7. Shak Cohen

True, but clean, quiet copies are hard to come by. I'm sure Bernie can work his magic on this one too!

8. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

In which better way?

(i) Musically, the new album is rather tedious with little variations, less layers of sounds, less harmonics, and the same G/C/D chord progression (Deja Vu, Wait for Her / Oceans Apart / Part of Me Died). I will describe the final trio suite as a very lazy affair. Musically, that final is the poorest to any of Roger Waters solo albums.

(ii) An aging voice that partially suffers from a poor mix in some parts (on the title track for instance), and sometime out of tune (the singing on The Most Beautiful Girl is horrendous). I think the production should have spent more time to make the whole singing a more attractive side to this album.

(iii) The session musicians on ITTLWRW provide minimal input in the songs, and could have been used way more efficiently, specially Wilson that could have provided a much more attractive guitar style (though I do not consider him as a great lead guitar player)

(iv) I will take the final suite Watching TV - Three Wishes - It's A Miracle - Amused to Death against The Most Beautiful Girl (in the World :winkgrin:) / Smell The Roses / Wait for Her / Oceans Apart / Part of Me Died any day.

(v) I was listening to the last three Cohen's albums the other day, and to me the productions of those albums are good examples in which the voices were well put forward against the music during the mixing stage. In ITTLWRW, voices and music are blended on equal level, which makes it less appealing for a song writer like Roger.

Here is an interesting article about the production/mixing stages.

Inside Track: Leonard Cohen 'Slow' |

raimiz1991inc, Hardhog and Kalli like this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I started playing the song, ISTLWRW, from midway when I was in the car. During the spoken part. My wife asked what it was...as she expected me to reply "The Lion King"! (Soundtrack, where the bad lion speaks). :D

10. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

I'd say it's more varied and layered than his other solo albums. This is especially apparent on headphones.

I'd say it's the finest. The synth pads, the building, moaning drone in the background...the construction is much more subtle and brooding, yet tasteful.

And let me say, thank god the album doesn't feature the brutal, ham-handed overuse of background singers. What a relief.

Like American Idol?

This is a good thing. Roger is the star, not an All Star guitar hero who's best days are the 1970's.

Disagree. His voice was always equal with the music in Pink Floyd, and worked best with more dead-sounding drums. which Nigel thankfully returned to after the All Star Hit-Drums-As-Hard-AsYou-Can nonsense on Pros and ATD.

Actually, Rogr recently trashed that style of production, saying if he could do his solo albums over, he'd make them have less dynamics, and more naturalistic.

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm sure those are nice also in their own way (new Floyd). And in the days of the interwebby, these things are a lot easier!

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I know this is a Roger Waters thread but just wanted to share this Gilmour video 1981.

Interesting to watch because this was done during or just after The Wall tour.

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

14. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

So do I. As with "The Final Cut" I absolutely love the production on it. I wasn't keen at all on "Radio KAOS" but I recently got it on vinyl and I find it far more listenable than the CD, which I always found very harsh sounding. "Amused to Death" is one of my favourite albums, so glad I got the original double vinyl.

15. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

And for what it's worth, those are my favorite tracks on the album.

Billy Infinity, Zeki, xj32 and 2 others like this.
  16. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Funny you mention this. I've never liked Pros and can't understand why people enjoy it so much! I feel like I'm on crazy pills!

That said; Radio KAOS is pretty good in my opinion, so what do I know?! Better than Pros and Amused...though I think 'Is This the Life' is pretty easily RW best post Pink Floyd work.

Zeki likes this.
  17. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

There's an economy of sound that is refreshing compared to the relative bombast of Amused to Death which, despite some nice moments, is a bit overcooked in my opinion. Check this out...

Amused to Death - Personnel

ITTLWRW Personnel

xj32, PDK and ryaneagon like this.
  18. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I followed a hint on German fan page Pulse and Spirit and got me the Japanese CD version of the album. The sound is indeed very clear, distinct and definitely more fluffy than other digital versions of the album I have listened to. I would say it ranges on comparable level like the vinyl pressing.

Rekkerds likes this.
  19. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I find it extremely hard to believe that CD got a unique mastering from all other CDs, can you post DR values or any other info?

Billy Infinity, PH416156 and rontoon like this.
  20. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Know what you mean. I doubted it by myself and all I have up to now is my listenig experience on my home system after staying abroad for a while... I will check for DR as soon as I have found out how it works.

PH416156 and AlanDistro like this.
  21. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

I'd also put my money it's the same mix and mastering of all the other digital releases.

22. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Question at the end of "Bird in a Gale" is anyone else hearing the lyrics change from "Is there room in this story for me... me... me... me... move... move... move"? Sounds like "me" changes to maybe "move"or something along those lines about half way though. Am I hearing things or is this legit?

23. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

IMO, the songs on this album are just too anonymous...musically. I've listened to it a couple of times now and just can't imagine listening to it much more. I'm fine with the lyrics/politics but it's pretty musically devoid. Other than Smell The Roses (which I find mediocre at best), nothing stands out...kinda all sounds the same. I think ATD is light years above this album. I don't get it really because RW has written great songs over the years [Hello (I Love You), To Kill The Child, The Tide Is Turning, Each Small Candle , Towers Of Faith, Lost Boys Calling,. etc.] but I don't think there's a single one on this album that measures up. They all sound like demos he recorded.

Slick Willie and Pipi3 like this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Interesting opinion as I find these 2 in particular at the bottom of the Roger Waters barrel. His singing on Hello... is painful for me to listen to. I love Lost Boys Calling, a great collaboration and beautiful, haunting melody from Moriccone.

Sytze and Billy Infinity like this.
  25. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

All of these, bar 'The Tide Is Turning', are dreadful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.