Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I checked my LA Woman Perception CD. You Need Meat on there has a count in, and a particular mix. The other You Need Meat that I have is a vinyl rip from a vintage copy of Weird Scenes. It is mixed differently, and has no count in.

Although the Japanese set is not definitive, the songs that are on there sound great, including Touch Me. Kudos to the Doors camp for coming up with something that we really want.

marklamb, Simon A and Kevin55 like this.
  2. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

The singles 2 CD set with a Blu-Ray for under $25? Damn, that is a good deal.. I have been wanting a singles set with all the correct mixes for years.

And I am listening to the London Fog CD as I read this thread. Short but sweet!

3. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Well, it looks like my copy of the 45 is lost. Having racked my ruined brain, here's my position:
    1) I'm positive that the 45 had the count in.
    2) I'm positive that the original Weird Scenes vinyl did not have the count in.
    3) I'm pretty damn sure, but not positive, that the 45 also included the keyboard noodling and "Okay, I've got it."

4) I just found a youtube video of the song, supposedly of the original 45 (features a photo of it), but the recording is slowed WAY down and nearly unrecognizable.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the press release mentions a mono "hello,i love you". wasn't that single released in only stereo?

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There's a listing for it on Discogs. It's listed as a promo single and for radio use only.
    The Doors - Hello, I Love You / Love Street

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

so we won't have the real true single version of "hello, I love you" is what you are saying

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I honestly don't know. I just found out about this release today and did a quick Google search after reading your post.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

i'll wait for more info but I do see that "the end" is missing from the posted tracklisting

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think there's a couple unique stereo single mixes/edits waiting for their US debut on CD.

The Doors - Riders On The Storm

A Jim era mono mix of Riders was released on an 2011 RSD 45 and I'm pretty sure that's the only official release of that version.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Simon A and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The noodling and "Okay, I've got it" is on both mixes. If the count in is not on the Weird Scenes vinyl but is on the 45, than that should likely be an edit.

I just checked, and the Japan singles set also does not feature a count-in. Up to now, that should be the only CD release of the song.

Anyone with an original 45, please check!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

very exciting news, i would like to see detailed info on the cds, BD and singles box, but count me in for that singles box!

i remember the good'ol days in the lizard loung and lot of people talked about the possibility of this box

12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

It's really exciting news and who would have thought that singles box like this would be coming out?
    I wonder what else will see the day of light and be eventually released from their vaults...interesting and fascinating to follow this.
    Hopefully full Matrix from the actual master-tapes will be released, but also I hope to see other stuff that's been talked and mentioned here already.

13. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

14. Matthew Tate

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Now I'm stoked about this release. I'll definitely go with just the 2 CDs though since I'm already good on the quad Best of the Doors.

By all accounts, this appears to be a reissue done right.

16. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I guess there is a uniform consensus about people liking edited tracks. I never bought 45s because they were mostly edited songs.

LPs or bust . . . on the other hand, an edited "Light My Fire" is merciful brevity.

17. bubba-ho-tep

I don't think that a significant number of the Doors' singles were edited from the LP versions. At least one ("Tell All the People") was a bit longer than its LP equivalent. It's the presence of several unique mixes (stereo and mono) and non-LP b-sides that are a primary attraction of this set.

AlanDistro and millbend like this.
  18. I'm confused. That link to Wishful Sinful is stereo, not mono?

No! I can't see ANY point in hearing the chopped down versions of all my favourite Doors songs intended for AM radio, so I'll gladly pass on this. The mono's I've heard to date aren't even remotely interesting, sonically good or different enough to warrant yet another purchase to gather dust.

I've got to say it: The Doors were primarily an album band anyway. The singles were mainly for marketing the albums. The Doors weren't The Monkees.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  19. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

so Just for clarity:

CD 1

1. BREAK ON THROUGH (To The Other Side)
    2. END OF THE NIGHT
    3. LIGHT MY FIRE
    4. THE CRYSTAL SHIP
    5. PEOPLE ARE STRANGE
    6. UNHAPPY GIRL
    7. LOVE ME TWO TIMES
    8. MOONLIGHT DRIVE
    9. THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER
    10. WE COULD BE SO GOOD TOGETHER
    11. HELLO, I LOVE YOU (Mono Radio Version)
    12. HELLO, I LOVE YOU USEE11700083
    13. LOVE STREET
    14. TOUCH ME (Mono Radio Version)
    15. TOUCH ME
    16. WILD CHILD
    17. WISHFUL SINFUL (Mono Radio Version)
    18. WISHFUL SINFUL
    19. WHO SCARED YOU
    20. TELL ALL THE PEOPLE (Mono Radio Version)
    21. TELL ALL THE PEOPLE
    22. EASY RIDE
    23. RUNNIN’ BLUE
    24. DO IT
    CD 2

1. YOU MAKE ME REAL
    2. ROADHOUSE BLUES
    3. LOVE HER MADLY
    4. (YOU NEED MEAT) DON’T GO NO FURTHER
    5. RIDERS ON THE STORM
    6. CHANGELING
    7. TIGHTROPE RIDE
    8. VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE
    9. SHIPS W/ SAILS
    10. IN THE EYE OF THE SUN
    11. GET UP AND DANCE
    12. TREETRUNK
    13. THE MOSQUITO
    14. IT SLIPED MY MIND
    15. THE PIANO BIRD
    16. GOOD ROCKIN’
    17. ROADHOUSE BLUES (Live)
    18. ALBINONI: ADAGIO
    19. GLORIA (Live)
    20. MOONLIGHT DRIVE (Live)
    Blu-ray Audio

The Best Of The Doors (1973)
    High Resolution Quadrophonic Mix

1. WHO DO YOU LOVE
    2. SOUL KITCHEN
    3. HELLO, I LOVE YOU
    4. PEOPLE ARE STRANGE
    5. RIDERS ON THE STORM*
    6. TOUCH ME
    7. LOVE HER MADLY*
    8. LOVE ME TWO TIMES
    9. TAKE IT AS IT COMES
    10. MOONLIGHT DRIVE
    11. LIGHT MY FIRE

Shame 'The Apcolypse!' now Single version of 'The End' is Missing and shame they did not put all 44 songs on the blu ray as well guess they ahve to keep something back

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Except it looks like they aren't including hi-rez versions of the CD tracks on the Blu-Ray disc.

Larry Geller and AlanDistro like this.
  21. bubba-ho-tep

The Blu-Ray is definitely a missed opportunity (and useless for anyone without a surround set-up) but at least a version of the set without the Blu-Ray is available at a good price.

btltez likes this.
  22. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

that can't be the cover art can it? how awful. But, it looks to me like it's not as the graphic edges are not lined up. Also, there are only 3 pic sleeves in the box? The rest are all generic Elektra sleeves in the photo. That can't be either can it?

23. masswriter

can there be any other possible way they could ever milk these songs after this?

24. masswriter

Weren't they on Weird Scenes?