Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Duh. It's early, sorry. :sigh:

OldSoul likes this.
  2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I can't even begin to imagine what is in store for us with 10 more episodes, but it'll be a treat every week there's a new episode. Love it while we can! :)

Culpa likes this.
  3. Lynch really did channel Kubrik's 2001 for a bit of that middle portion, even similar musical offering.

Gardo, Leviethan, bopdd and 1 other person like this.
  4. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Even with 10 more to go, I hope people aren't going to be disappointed when it's over and not wrapped up in a neat little bow.. this thing is going to have loose ends all over it at the end.. This is not going to be a Breaking Bad ending with no stones left unturned..

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm guessing it ends with Cooper finally coming to his senses and asking, in all seriousness, "How's Annie?". :)

6. Jeffries was in Frost's Secret History of Twin Peaks. It seems that his character is important to whatever is happening.

Culpa likes this.
  7. Hitman2017

Hitman2017 Active Member

Is there a chance that there was a bad Laura and that is who was killed by her father (bob) and that the Laura in the black lodge is the real Laura and still alive?

OldSoul likes this.
  8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

First-class observations! You've given me lots to think about...

9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Does the Woodsman on the left look at least a little bit like the owner of the truck that Andy questioned in episode 7? The one he was supposed to meet at 4:30, who never showed?

"Remember 430."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Daniel Plainview and rburly like this.
  11. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

I haven't reviewed the credits since the original airing to see if there is applicable info, but I want to find that exact Penderecki recording. A great performance of an awesome piece of music!

Reminds me that I had to work a bit (pre-internet) to find the Agnus Dei from Cherubini's Requiem recording used at the end of FWWM. It's this one:

Cherubini* : Ambrosian Singers* · Philharmonia Orchestra · Riccardo Muti - Requiem In Do Minore

12. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

[​IMG]

liv3evil likes this.
  13. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

You don't think the show is making distinctions between The Woodsmen and traditional Black/White Lodge characters? To me, The Woodsmen are almost like errand boys and wielders of energy ("got a light"). If the show has established anything about them it's that they're seemingly always in the air (post nuclear explosion at least) and primarily appear when needed. Meanwhile, characters like Bob and Mike and The Giant and The Arm seem to retain a broader and larger function in both our world and theirs. No?

14. I think that Lynch is leaving it open in case Ontkean wants to return even for a cameo. If not, he can fail to survive chemo (if he has cancer in the show).

I thought this was a twenty minute episode stretched to an hour.

15. Which how Lynch pretty much makes all his movies. He lets scenes play out. Sometimes they are like still life paintings.

Deek57 and trumpet sounds like this.
  16. Oh I know I've been following Lynch since "The Elephant Man" and had seen "Eraserhead" shortly before it. At some point I would hope he would at least give us a combination of narrative momentum along with his visual dazzling visuals. I lost patience at one point and wanted some sort of resolution to some of the narrative threads.

jriems, DVEric and katstep like this.
  17. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I guess I'll be the stick in the mud here. Long time Lynch fan, loved the original Twin Peaks, but the last "nuclear explosion" episode was absolutely the most tedious and sophomoric filmaking I've witnessed in a long while. At some point, my wife (who is also a fan) and I were groaning and rolling our eyes. Hey, why do something in 40 seconds when you can do it in 4 minutes. Don't get me wrong, art is my game, the more abstract the better, but this was just totally self indulgent. Oh, and let's not even mention the overdrawn Cooper as Dougie thing. So done with that. I think I might be done with this whole new Twin Peaks thing too. I realize that Lynch has always worked around the "point" and let the viewer draw their own conclusions, but it's reached the point of being ridiculous. Rant over. Just my 2 cents.

Scotian, boggs, Rfreeman and 4 others like this.
  18. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

One thing that bugs me is why are Laura and Leland in the Lodge anyway? They're both physically dead and buried.

Of course The Arm had introduced Lodge Laura to Cooper as "my cousin - doesn't she look just like Laura Palmer". Then we have Lodge Leland imploring Cooper to "find Laura".

19. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Laura Palmer does seem to have a sort of dual functionality as both a human being and Lodge entity (that latter apparently pre-dating her existence in "our" world) so I'm not bothered by her continued presence. Likewise, some evidence from the show suggests Cooper might also have a role within the Lodge world/history that pre-dates or parallels his role in our world. I'm not sure about Leland. Given how Leland is presented as more or less a "suit" that Bob wears in FWWM I'm still unclear as to who he is exactly or where he came from. The fact that he has a doppelganger suggests Leland is or was an actual person, but maybe when Bob took over Leland's body the actual Leland was put in the Lodge and left there, or something like that. All just random guesses on my part for now. With the recent episode in mind, I expect we'll find a few answers (which is actually more than I ever hoped for).

20. I think they are in a kind of purgatory since the Red Room connects the 2 Lodges. Also they might be stuck there since being compromised by BOB and MIKE

Culpa and DVEric like this.
  21. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Interesting reaction, since I almost feel like this most recent episode marked the first time Twin Peaks actually started providing real answers. I'd add that it's not so much Lynch/Frost working "around the point" as much as it is them playing with the creative mythology they've established, meanwhile sustaining themes of personified energy/electricity and the link between two worlds. In fact, aside from Lynch's work in the mid to late 80s I'm not sure he's ever been this direct (barring Straight Story of course)!

22. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

But what an hour it was...

23. Indeed, I think she's an old soul much more than "Laura Palmer" and her death much more significantly than originally portrayed and she's been recycled in a rebirth pattern. As to the significance of all this, I don't have a clue yet.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  24. Hitman2017

Hitman2017 Active Member

I too rolled my eyes throughout the episode, I am certainly not enjoying it as much as the original.

katstep likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

A scene I keep thinking about is when Hawk is in the woods with the flashlight and The Log Lady calls him and he says 'something is supposed to happen here tonight' or something to that effect. He never mentions this event later on. It seems out of place. And The Log Lady asks him to stop by her place on his way back for pie. Did he? Or will he later? Has this particular scene even happened yet? Are we seeing a future event? And why toss it in there out of sequence if you aren't going to give us a clue that it's out of sequence? Why would Hawk go to Gastonbury Grove at this point of the story based on what he knew so far? The only thing that would send him there are the diary pages which mention The Black Lodge. But he hadn't seen those pages yet. So is this merely a scene inserted out of order to mess with us or what?