30 years of The Smiths' ''The Queen Is Dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diego Lucas, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Last weekend I happened upon The Smiths documentary on Amazon Prime, I learnt a thing or two.

2. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Great record of course, a masterpiece--but even more than that. They capture something very deep about life in many of these songs.
    Used a quote from "The Boy..." as an epigraph for my first book...

A former roommate was a Smiths fan. We didn't get along, to say the least--therefore I resisted them for some time.
    However the truth won out, as it often does. He was right, I was wrong--at least about that.

3. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Played it LOUD Friday after work. Yep it's a keeper!!

JeffMo likes this.
  4. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I got my copy on a rainy day when we happened to stop off at a car boot sale while on holiday for 50p. I wasn't sure if I liked them or not when I bought it, had to wait a week to listen to it, got home put it on (it was one of 10 albums I bought on that trip and still one of the only 80s lps I own) I really loved it, still do!

5. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Both my local Amoeba record stores got this in this week. Picked up a copy a couple days ago but I haven't had time to listen to it yet.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Come on man, it is The Smiths for goodness sake. Make some damn time!

:laugh:

SweetTea likes this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

Ha! Tell that to my three-month-old son!

JeffMo likes this.
  8. Pavol Stromcek

So I had a chance to listen to the QID 12" tonight, and I'm happy to report that it's perfectly flat, centered, and quiet, and it sounds quite nice!

MondoFanM and hi_watt like this.
  9. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Still play my Cdn LP purchased on release day
    Masterpiece...

10. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I know how on this forum pretty much every reissue is called a cash grab, but if anything ever fit that definition it's this QID 12". It has imitation-Smiths cover art, offers nothing unreleased, and has no reason to exist other than getting money from diehard fans.

EDIT: Looks like I posted this in the wrong thread, just saw the separate one dedicated to that stupid 12" release...but there are duplicate posts across both threads so it's kind of confusing.

11. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

That's probably my fault. I searched for a thread originally and found this one. Didn't think it needed its own thread at the time.

And I say bring on more 12" Smiths!

12. Pavol Stromcek

True, this does remind me a little of that Sweet and Tender Hooligan single that was released in the mid 90s. That contained nothing new (although I believe "What's the World" had only previously been available on the I Started Something cassette single) and had hideous, very un-Smiths like cover art. However, the Smiths are one of a handful of bands from which I'd buy this sort of thing, so as irrational as it might seem, I'm happy to add this QID release to my collection of Smiths 12"s. I actually think the QID cover is halfway decent, but it could've been much more Smiths-like if it had been given a colored tint and if they'd left the title off of the front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.