Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Hate the mastering, but love some of the performances.

budwhite and footlooseman like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'd say Road to Red is slightly inferior in the sonics department, but the early '74 European tour features some monster performances. The audio curios disc in the Starless box is of overall lesser quality, but you get that early version of Dr. Diamond from Atlanta with the middle section that'll dissolve your pancreas. But don't worry, the box includes a spare pancreas.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    (mono mix)
    For some people, this is one of the worst things The Rolling Stones ever did, a blatant attempt at copycatting The Fab Four, a excruciating excercise of excess (pardon my alliteration) from the 60's, and so forth. In fact, the band itself considered it a mistake.
    Other people like me love this album. Of course the artwork is inspired by Sgt. Pepper's, of course the band was high as a kite (pardon my cliché) while recording it, but the final results are truly interesting, the album offers different atmospheres and moods, and, except for some aimless noodling during "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)" (which should have been shorter and to the point), it's a focused collection of excellent songs. Jagger delivers fine vocals, Richards plays some of his best guitar tracks, Jones finds a perfect framework to work with exotic timbres, Wyman goes beyond his usual duties and offers a song of his own, Watts plays exactly what it's needed (which is not always an easy thing to do), and new piano man Nicky Hopkins is brilliant as always.
    In my opinion, 1967 was the year for this band (musically).

KeninDC, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  4. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Lucinda Williams.....Some go to music, early in the morn....love her.

budwhite, rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

"Some Other Time" by the Bill Evans trio. Let period recordings made in Germany that were issued last year. Love me some Bill Evans trio.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Doing my "album club" listening. The Jam, All Mod Cons - a band I always respected but never really got that into, I am warming up to them, though, and before that Townes Van Zandt's Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, TX which was excellent, I'd always meant to get around to that one, but it was my first listen. There will be a lot more.

Most of the last week or so was spent travelling, listening to various mix playlists that me, my wife, sister and brother-in-law compiled on the fly, so no real full albums. But we did go to Wilco's Solid Sound fest, as Mass MOCA (amazing venue in North Adams, Mass, in the Berkshires, lots of other concerts there like My Morning Jacket coming this August). A great time - 250,000 square feet of art exhibit space, which was great to explore (the Nick Cave room was our favorite). New discovery I was impressed by: Kevin Morby. Artists I was looking forward to seeing who didn't disappoint: Wilco (Friday night playing Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in their entirety, Saturday night playing a great un-themed set), Tweedy (Sunday closing out the fest in style on a sunny lawn with green mountains in the backdrop), Television, Kurt Vile, the Nels Cline 4. Also caught part of The Shaggs set and Peter Wolf's, which were both fun. Lots of other music but we were balancing keeping our kids' and neices' happy with some of the kids activities and museum exploration, so couldn't catch everything that I might have if going only with adults. Worth the trade off, because this is the only way we could have made it happen. Favorite moments were probably Wilco's Saturday night set and Jeff Tweedy's solo acoustic segment plus full Tweedy band (and Wilco members joining in) to close the festival with California Stars, Give Back the Keys to My Heart, and I Shall Be Released. Very easygoing crowd and a fun time, and an extremely kid-friendly event for those who need it to be.

I strongly encourage any of you who have a chance to go see some music at that museum (exploring the museum without music would also be seriously worthwhile, although clearly a second best option). No other venue really like it, as far as I know -- and the once-every-two-years (I forget whether the word for that is bi-annual or semi-annual) Wilco festival there is also highly, highly recommended for those with any inclination.

Got to hang out at Solid Sound with @wavethatflag who kindly saved space for us to throw down blankets (I cannot thank him and his buddy enough!), and also got to stop by and meet @rockinlazys and his wife in person during our travels, which was also a great time!

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Music festivals are good for the soul.

This just arrived today. I saw this guy plenty in SF in the 80s. Always a shred fest. One time at the Great American Music Hall he went out onto O'Farrell St. still playing his guitar. There was only one Iceman. I saw him battle Carlos Santana at the SF Blues Festival one year and it was phenomenal.

[​IMG]

Albert Collins Live At Montreaux, in case the image goes away. An outstanding mullet on the other guitar player. Every blues band should have a B-3 player.

8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The great Jim Lauderdale. The Hunter records are good americana. Check them out! But, more important, Lauderdale did two albums with Dr Ralph Stanley. I enjoy them way more!

[​IMG]

Right on. Bought the limited vinyl set in high school for $70. That hurt, but the music was fantastic. Cameron hit the jackpot with the movie and all the songs

9. budwhite

@Rne

I very much enjoyed reading your breakdowns of the Stones albums(I know your not a big fan). I was mainly a Stones fan from the classic era 68-73ish but then I bought the early records some ten years ago and I love pretty much everything. I think the they're on par with the Beatles from 64-67 and in some ways even better. The blues and more groove does it for me, among other things

Oh wait, did I just compare them to the fabs :yikes:
    I'm gonna get lynched in 3-2-1...

10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

It's ok. Your secret is safe with us but don't take that attitude outside this thread ;)

footlooseman and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I prefer early Stones to early Fab Four for that same reason. I hardly ever listen to the first four Beatles albums, in fact. Anyway, both bands aimed for different musical objectives, I think.
    Regarding the Stones, I don't have any interest beyond Let It Bleed (except for a couple of numbers here and there, and that's all). But, who knows, I might end liking Exile like (almost) everyone else here one of these days. :D

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  12. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Lucinda Williams ....ESSENCE. her 3rd best release......what a wonderful set of songs.....nice in the morning.....

Erik B. and budwhite like this.
  13. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Burning Witch-Crippled Lucifer (2cd reissue)

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  14. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Jim Lauderdale is amazing. I just started the process of collecting his discography. Dude is prolific and talented. Highly recommend.

budwhite likes this.
  15. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I went on a big early Beatles kick last year. Still haven't entirely given it up. Put on Beatles For Sale at the gym last week!

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob, Rne and 2 others like this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I just played this once, but I think every time I get this one out I end up playing it through a second time. Definitely a classic for me.

Herbie Hancock - Man-child

[​IMG]

17. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Getting geared up to see Get the Led Out tomorrow.
    NP : Presence
    next up.. Houses of the Holy

18. budwhite

I've known of him for years. Emmylou and Lucinda always speaks highly of him. But I didn't started listen closely until after I watched "Move me Brightly" a few years ago

DrLunchbox likes this.
  19. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Let me know if you need any help. I'm a certified Stones guide.

I'm on an abridged XTC binge, revisiting their Dukes outing - Chips from the Chocolate Fireball, Skylarking (2014 corrected polarity version), and English Settlement right now.

[​IMG]

20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I turned 50 this week and my friend Chip turned 50 two months ago. Going to Solid Sound was his idea, to celebrate our birthdays. I'd always wanted to go. Chip is married and has two kids, one in college and the other one about to go, and he couldn't be certain he was going when I bought my early bird ticket based on his prompt. After that, we didn't talk about it for a while, so I thought it was dead. About a month before the festival he asks me if I'm going. I said, "I'm not going because I thought you weren't." And basically, he wasn't going to go if I didn't, although he had a friend/client who was going with his family.

But we made it! We went! It was good. It was unlike any rock festival I've been to. It was a mellower, smaller atmosphere, and it's on the site of an art museum. It's a one of a kind festival, for sure. And I've never seen so many little kids at a festival. It was a great change of pace. It sort of makes Outside Lands and Coachella look like corporate-fueled nightmares, although I like Outside Lands. Six dollar beers, one dollar water and a place to get free water without a long line, festival re-entry allowed in case you forget to bring something and want to go get it. Food wasn't crazy expensive. I paid 10 bucks for a pint of gumbo, but there were cheaper food choices.

No crazy drunk people, and no crazy/rude/ridiculous people generally.

Wilco is definitely a cultish band. They're just big enough to mostly fill the site of the festival.

The scene is so Massachusetts. The Mass. Museum of Contemporary Art is located in an old three or four story factory complex. I grew up in small town MA and it looks just like one of the tool factories we had, also located on a river. At least I think the museum is on a river, there was definitely some sort of water flow going on although it looked partially man made, and smaller than a full-fledged river.

If the festival is a reflection on who Jeff Tweedy is, he must be a good guy. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]
    Nick Cave art exhibit. This pic doesn't do it justice. It was essentially a two-story forest of this stuff with a path through it.

[​IMG]
    This is from the top of an old part of the factory incorporated into the museum, which itself is a converted industrial facility.

[​IMG]
    They had two smaller stages set up within the museum complex, which as you can see is a converted factory.

[​IMG]
    The main stage. Hey, whose head is that in the lower right corner? Probably some crazy Deadhead. :D

[​IMG]
    Tweedy (the band).

Anyway, the Saturday Wilco show was probably the best, and longest, one I've ever seen. If you're a fan and on the fence for the next Solid Sound, just go.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  21. budwhite

Looks like Rob's scalp. Did he have a brew in his hand? :winkgrin:
    Congratz buddy, I never thought you were a day older than 45. Wow, the big fifty!

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and wavethatflag like this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This came up on shuffle the other day.

Erik B. likes this.
  25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

On a whim, I bought cheap seats to see them Monday night. Not the biggest fan but seemed like the right thing to do. Never seen em before and haven't seen a heavy metal concert since the two Sabbath concerts I saw in 2013 and 2015/16?

wavethatflag likes this.