Welcome Back, Kotter coming to Antenna TV in September. *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

What....Where.....Why.....How......

2. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

I think every sitcom ever made will eventually make the rounds of MeTV and AntennaTV.

rburly likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Good, then I'll get to watch "Out Of This World" again. :)

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Funny you should mention this, I got to visit New York for the first time in April and was hoping to stay with Mr and Mrs Kotter for a night or two, but nobody warned me how big Brooklyn was gonna be, so sadly I couldn't find them. I knew if I found the place the window would be open. :D

5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Funny you should mention this, I got to visit New York for the first time in April and was hoping to stay with Mr and Mrs Kotter for a night or two, but nobody warned me how big Brooklyn was gonna be, so sadly I couldn't find them. I knew if I found the place I could get in through the window :D

6. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

So huge at the time, but yeah, in my opinion, it doesn't hold up well at all. I always liked Gabe Kaplan's delivery, though.

rburly likes this.
  7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I watched a bunch of it fairly recently. I got the DVDs. Earlier is better. It starts out being a very good show. What I didn't remember from watching it as a kid was how it went off the rails in the last year. I remembered Barbarino more or less leaving the show and Beau replacing him, and I knew Barbarino made guest appearances but he was in a lot more than I remembered. What I had forgotten was that Gabe Kaplan also was not there a lot (Maybe even less than Travolta). I didn't know about all the behind scenes stuff, or that the writers quit and they replaced them with the writers from the Carol Burnett show. The episode where Barbarino is working in the hospital when Mr. Woodman gets admitted, and Barbarino "loses" Mr. Woodman -- it's funny, but it's "comedy sketch" funny more than "sitcom" funny.

Suncola likes this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yes, as Jefferson D'Arcy.

9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

oh god I forgot about the 'Beau' years....ooof What did they do with Mrs Kotter when Gabe wasn't there? I remember the last year had way too much Mr Woodman. he was really only good in little spurts

10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

It was really bizarre -- all of a sudden, Mrs. Kotter got a job as a teacher, and it was usually Mrs. Kotter you'd see in the classroom. I guess they had to do something. They explained it by saying Mr. Kotter got a promotion and was traveling for meetings and stuff. And I guess I didn't really watch it all that closely or pay attention during the final season -- it got moved around the schedule, and I remember it being on Saturday nights at 7:00 (Chicago time) for a while, and my family often went to church at 7:30 on Saturday nights, so there were times I didn't watch it, or didn't see the whole episode. But in my memory, I thought Barbarino dropped out of school to work at the hospital. There is an episode where he wants to drop out of school, but Gabe talks him out of it. Nonetheless, he is absent a lot that year (but like I said, not as much as I thought).

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love Maureen! :love:

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

Wow, I forgot how cute she was. :love:

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

14. PaulKTF

I used to love Mad Magazine so much! I really need to start reading it again... :)

15. MikeInFla

He also has a book. I didn't want to spend money on it but found it at the library and checked it out. I remember it being a decent read but I don't remember anything about the book. As for the show I enjoyed it when I was a small kid, I have no idea how I would feel about it now. I remember havin the MAD story as well in one of those Summer Super Specials.

https://www.amazon.com/Kotters-Back-mails-Celebrity-Bewildered/dp/1416935029

16. MikeInFla

It's not the same after the death of William Gaines. Find some old ones and read those the new ones are not near as good although some of the surviving artsits are still around. I think they even have real advertisements in them now. And I don't really mind it being all color but there is something about an old black and white Mad.... What, me worry?

17. PaulKTF

It's in color now?! When did that happen? I haven't read Mad Magazine since like 1992.

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It literally was a 70s show to me. I watched it weekly, I'm just not sure if it can hold my attention long enough knowing all the jokes.

19. MikeInFla

Following Gaines' death, Mad became more ingrained within the Time Warner corporate structure. Eventually, the magazine was obliged to abandon its long-time home at 485 Madison Avenue, and in the mid-1990s it moved into DC Comics' offices at the same time that DC relocated to 1700 Broadway. In 2001, the magazine broke its long-standing taboo and began running paid advertising. The outside revenue allowed the introduction of color printing and improved paper stock.

As for Kotter I remember watching it but remember very little from the show.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  20. PaulKTF

Wow, thanks for the information. That's interesting. I guess being in color and with ads isn't so bad.

21. MikeInFla

Some interesting merchandise:

[​IMG]

This was a real thing?!?:

[​IMG]

I do remember kids at school having this but I had the more cool Six Million Dollar Man lunchbox.

[​IMG]

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Al Feldstein (Mad editor from 1956 to 1985) wanted to switch to color in the early 80s, and one of the reason he quit the magazine was frustration with the fact that Gaines refused this and any changes whatsoever. Gaines was really a "don't f@@k with the formula" sort of guy, but by the early 80s Mad's circulation was starting to decline and Feldstein thought they needed to make some adjustments and changes, and Gaines wouldn't do it.

I think the current Mad is very well-done. It's quite a bit different of course, but that is to be expected, or they likely would have ceased publication decades ago. And Al Jaffee is still doing the fold-ins every issue, and Sergio is also still around, so there's that for the longtime fans.

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Enjoyed the show its first couple seasons when I was 10-12, but when I have seen a rerun it has seemed so dull I have never made it through a full episode.

Nice theme song by Sebastian. Was it penned for the show?

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes

MikaelaArsenault and Rfreeman like this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

well, there's always Mrs. Kotter, who was almost as nice as Bailey on WKRP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.