Shows That Were Concluded or At Least Mentioned On Different Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solitaire1, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan Thread Starter

A post in another thread about My Name Is Earl reminded me that the series was concluded on another series when it was mentioned a radio that a man had finally completed a task of making his restitution for his acts.

This made me wonder what other series were mentioned or concluded on different show? One that comes to mind is the episode "Epilogue" from Justice League Unlimited, which was the conclusion of Batman Beyond (and the entire Animated DC Universe).

2. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

That show was Raising Hope, which I loved.

Another example would be Newhart, which concluded The Bob Newhart Show (I won't spoil it) :)

Thwacko and Vidiot like this.
  3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Andy Taylor married Helen Crump on the first episode of Mayberry RFD

Hot Ptah and Thwacko like this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Millennium was wrapped up on The X-Files after Millennium was cancelled.

5. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

It seemed like they were giving Jessica Tate, from Soap, some closure on the spin-off, Benson, but they stopped short of being too final with her story.

Joe Mannix, from the late-60's Mike Connors action series, Mannix ended his career for health reasons on an episode of Dick Van Dyke's Diagnosis Murder.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Vidiot and Flying to my Ohm like this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

In the Maverick episode "Hadley's Hunters" there's a classic scene where Bart (Jack Kelly) meets various characters from other Warners TV westerns Lawman, Sugarfoot, Bronco, and (in stock footage) Clint Walker from Cheyenne. He even meets Edd "Kookie" Byrnes (77 Sunset Strip) as a livery stable attendant!

There is also a curious scene where Bart goes to a deserted sheriff's office, where he finds the guns of Wayde Preston, star of Colt .45, which had been cancelled the previous year. Wayde was gone but apparently not forgotten...

Flying to my Ohm likes this.
  7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

So did The Lone Gunmen in a sense.

8. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

The last episode and last scene of "Newhart" reverts back to the original "The Bob Newhart Show" complete with the bedroom set and his costar Suzanne Pleshette; presenting that the second show was simply and completely a dream Bob Hartley had. One of the most clever and creative endings ever.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, I worked for the post house that did all those shows, and there was unbelievable security around the film negatives and master tapes. The producers were terrified that the big final reveal would get out... but it never did.

Morton LaBongo, Thwacko and EdgardV like this.
  10. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Rusty Hamer, Danny Thomas' fictional son on Make Room for Daddy, reprised his role for a few episodes of The Joey Bishop Show after the Thomas show ended.

Homer Bedloe (Charles Lane), the main antagonist who was always trying to shut down the Cannonball on Petticoat Junction, relocated for an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies after Petticoat's cancellation.

Thwacko and Vidiot like this.
  11. Maybe THE most clever and creative series ending, ever! I'm hard-pressed to think of anything else even close.

Hot Ptah, rockclassics and EdgardV like this.
  12. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Brilliant and funny, and also daring, considering similar stunts on other TV shows (Dallas, St. Elsewhere) fell flat or got their share of lambasting from critics. This one was just right, though.
    However, they kinda pulled defeat from the jaws of victory when they revisited the Newhart ending on a 'Bob Newhart Show' reunion special a short time later where they continued the story and had Bob trying to make sense of that dream. They overplayed their hand; should have left it alone. That special isn't well-remembered, though, so not too much harm done.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I never watched Newhart's second show, the blonde really bothered me.
    The day of the last show, the Inquirer TV critic said something like 'you must watch this tonight, even if you've ever watched the show. You will see one of the funniest things you've ever seen on TV.''
    He was so right. I howled and wept hysterical tears.

Hot Ptah and EdgardV like this.
  14. Wait, what? When was that? Just the cast sitting around and kibitzing? - or (perish the though), actual acting/reenactment?

cboldman likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

whew, never saw that, don't even remember it

EdgardV and cboldman like this.
  16. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Here's a short clip -- actually, the ending, so, SPOILERS, I guess:

EdgardV likes this.
  17. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Never saw that reunion, but looks like a clever ending. I felt the 3 brothers, Larry, Daryl and Daryl, was the strongest idea on Newhart, but never accomplished its potential.

18. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

This is in the same ballpark, with Another World and As the World Turns. Quoting from Wikipedia:

"Shortly after Another World was cancelled in June 1999, the characters of Cass and Lila Winthrop (Stephen Schnetzer and Lisa Peluso), and Jake and Victoria McKinnon (Tom Eplin and Jensen Buchanan) crossed over to As the World Turns briefly. Jake and Vicky intended to move to Oakdale, but Vicky was soon killed off in September 1999, then appeared as a ghost to Jake and Molly from November 2000 to February 2001. Cass only appeared on a recurring basis through 2003 (usually whenever anyone in Oakdale needed an attorney, other than resident lawyer Tom Hughes), and Jake (Tom Eplin) remained as a regular on the series until his character was killed off in 2002. Cindy Brooke Harrison (Kim Rhodes) also had minor appearances in 2000 and 2001. Vicky's mother and twin sister, Donna (Anna Stuart) and Marley (Ellen Wheeler, who at the time also directed episodes of As the World Turns), made recurring appearances from 2000 to 2002, and left the show when they gained custody of Jake and Vicky's twin daughters after Jake's death."

cboldman likes this.
  19. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Here's an odd one: 'Push, Nevada,' a Twin Peaks-ish show co-created by Ben Affleck, had its wrap-up on an installment of 'Monday Night Football.'
    The early '90's ABC show included hidden clues each week, giving the viewers a crack at solving it and winning a large cash prize. It was cancelled after a handful of episodes, but legally, ABC was obliged to play out the contest angle to its conclusion. So the show's main character put in an appearance on Monday Night Football to blurt out the last of the unaired clues.

Thwacko, Dudley Morris and OldSoul like this.
  20. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Ray Barone actually appeared on an episode of "The King of Queens" a year after "Everybody Loves Raymond" concluded...

Thwacko likes this.
  21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Debonair Richard Long played private eye Rex Randolph on Bourbon Street Beat

[​IMG]

When that show was cancelled after one year, Warners moved the character over to 77 Sunset Strip

[​IMG]

Thwacko likes this.
  22. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

The Colbys cliffhanger UFO ending was concluded on Dynasty

Thwacko likes this.
  23. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I was off by about a decade -- 'Push, Nevada,' aired on ABC in 2002. Here's the protagonist, Jim Prufrock, relaying the final clues during a break on Monday Night Football. Somebody cracked the puzzle and called to collect the prize within two minutes.

Thwacko likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Never happened, but I was always hoping some of the WJM-TV staff might pass through Los Angeles for at least one drink with Lou Grant. Once they experienced the L.A. highway system, I would think they'd need it.

25. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

SNL did this when Asner hosted. Joe Piscopo as Ted Baxter: "You've got to do something about Murray. He's the captain of a boat Lou."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.