David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name - WOW!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmil, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

He's trying to do some sort of crowdfunding this because it's evidently a lot of work. In those comments it sounds like he's of the opinion that someone like Rhino wouldn't be interested until they figure out what is there, which means they have to restore all the tapes first, etc.

I'm sure there's more than enough that's gold there. I do tend to overestimate the appeal of certain artists. Like I can't understand why (for instance) Robert Hunter's Tiger Rose is not easier to find as it's basically a Garcia production with Bob singing and playing acoustic.

But this has Garcia plus Crosby plus Slick etc.

2. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I'm in for any crowdfunding project on IOICRMN.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yeah, I'm in too. Any way to get word to Barncard, does he still post here?

4. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I have a 3CD (I think) set of the Perro stuff and most of it sounds GREAT. It doesn't really need much - certainly it isn't the audio quality that is what would hamper a release. There IS a lot of sloppy noodling, and just nonsense on there, but there is certainly one full length album of gold there, especially for fans of "If Only". Hope it happens. I'd rather hear the Grateful Dead play Crosby songs with Crosby and the Laurel Canyon gang on vocals than any GD album.

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The story I guess is that Kantner gave an excerpt of the tapes to Nash (or vice versa) on a DAT transfer back in the 80s. This is what appears on CD and on the Youtube clips linked. (I remember taping it off the radio about 20 years ago.)

But it sounds like the reels are in need of restoration, and there are 17 of them, so most of that stuff must not have come out.

As Barncard pointed out in the Youtube comments, only he knows what's on them, but even if it's not quite as high a 'gold to crap' ratio as what WAS released, there probably still is quite a bit that would be worthwhile.

There's also the sticky question of rights and releases, involving dead people whose families may rate their participation at a higher monetary value than the artists themselves may have done.

budwhite and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

And it's probably the best of it, honestly... and maybe in the best quality anyone is going to find it in at this point. I'd start there if this was my project. Kantner probably can tell what is crap or not generally.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Here's a message I had ask Marshall of Audio Fidelity about doing a David Crosby, IICORMN quad mix, 5.1 or 4.0 surround sound.

Hello Mr Blonstein,
    Hope business is going great this year? I see AF is going to cut back on releasing
    AF SACD surround sound discs. Sad to see this happen. Was this do the costs of
    producing them or obtaining the licenses? Anyway I'm suggesting a release of the
    David Crosby's "If I Only Could Remember My Name" into a 5.1 surround sound
    classic lp back in the early 70's. There is a cd/DVD-A surround disc already. The
    remastered cd is too digitallly limited. The orginial cd is the one preferred.

RE: Audio Fidelity SACD Surround Sound Suggestion [​IMG]
    Marshall Blonstein,[​IMG]
    "David, we have tried for years to get approval from David's Mgt. no luck…great title."

budwhite, Bill Mac and Chrome_Head like this.
  8. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

I'll hit Croz up on Twitter, see what he says...

9. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Is the Classic Records release that much better?

10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

That's really strange as Croz has stated on twitter before when people asked that it's too expensive for him to do

11. David P. Hill

Why would he say it's too expensive for him, it wouldn't cost him anything, would it?

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'd go '67 to '77

not a clunker in the whole lot.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yeah, you have to get Buffalo Springfield in there for Stills & Young. "For What It's Worth", "Out Of My Mind", "Bluebird", "Expecting To Fly", phenomenal stuff.

For Crosby, I would even go back a year or two from that to his work in The Byrds, which was just about excellent IMO before he left / was ejected.

Jet Age Eric and crozcat like this.
  14. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Since there is already a thread going about this album, I figured I might as well ask this here. I've heard that people think Stephen Stills appeared uncredited on this album. Does anyone know anything about this. Information regarding which tracks, what instrument (and/or vocals) he provided, and the overall likelihood of his contribution would be appreciated.

15. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I'm going to sell the Classic Records version soon, only played about 3 times, just
    can't get into it.

16. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I love If I Could ... (but what's with that title?). Have had it forever, but since it's so unconventional I've never had a good idea of it's appreciation. I thought maybe I was a little more forgiving of it's lack of tunefulness, and I like a bit of looseness and sound-scapes. Looks like it has a great following.

Makes me wish we had a Crosby album-by-album thread, or just a general Croz discussion. I've had his follow-up with Graham since it was new, and I'm curious how people feel about his five songs on that offering. Maybe it's appropriate to pursue that here, but the thread would get a lot broader than the title suggests.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I found a US original with a textured cover and a Broadway address on the label pressed at PR at a thrift store today. It has A stampers on both sides, and WOW is right. I've been listening to a Rockefeller and the original Atlantic cd for many years. They both sound fantastic, but the sonics on the Broadway are breathtaking. This pressing was extremely dirty and have given it multiple baths. The vinyl is in great shape with nice luster, but it has some pops here and there, which I'm trying to quiet with repeated cleanings. If I can't get this one quiet enough, I will definitely be on the lookout for another.

18. David P. Hill

How about a MFSL One-Step on this one?

19. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Would be great. I've had the Classic 33rpm for years and decided I wanted the 45 for even better sonics. It's currently being shipped from the US to my home. Very much looking forward to this one.

DeRosa likes this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Listening to the record on the turntable via headphones. Cowboy movie is fantastic so is Phil Lesh's bass. What a great sound they got from those sessions!

21. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I'd play this disc more often, but "Laughing" reduces me to sobbing tears every time. That song is...beyond beautiful. And so sad.

22. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

1966 ....with the first Buffalo Springfield. Still have my prefect mono vinyl I bought in 1966.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:targettiphat:

with or without 'for what it's worth'?

24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

With....didn't know about them on the very first LP incarnation. So that one was released in 1967 I believe. MONO on that one rules!

25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Of course the Classic Records pressing has been out of print for some time. I have the 331/3 and the 45. I think they're both very good. As I've pointed out in the past, Elusive Disc still lists the 331/3 as in stock and at a very reasonable $39.99 considering what Classic Records pressings often go for these days. Just a heads up for anyone who may want to try that pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.