5 Reasons Why 45's are the Best (in my opinion)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gpg6212, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident

I have a love/hate relationship with 45's. On one hand they're super cheap and very party-friendly, but on the other hand, the sound quality is usually garbage. I picked up a seemingly near mint copy of "Love You Inside Out" a few weeks ago and listened to it a few times. Last night I gave it a spin again and noticed the sound felt a little muffled. Then I put my copy of Spirits Having Flown on the table (which is in okay shape, probably pretty well played at this point) and the difference was like night and day. The full album version just opened the track up. The vocals especially just sounded so much clearer. I don't know if it's just a more compressed mix or the 45 was abused by a previous owner with a bad stylus, but it was much worse.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You do understand that not everyone was a radio DJ...

3. Grant

That's not what I have been made to understand by various pros.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's no change in frequency response.

5. Your point? I didn't say everyone had ever been a radio DJ. But, most everybody did listen to listen to the radio in the 60's and 70's.

6. Grant

My point is about styrene pressings being bad for radio DJs, and that they wore out faster. I don't have that particular experience with styrene because I was never a radio DJ. I don't have to worry about things like cue burn.

Besides, I thought most radio stations transferred their records to carts in the 70s.

7. There definitely is a change in frequency response, especially when a stereo track is folded down to mono. Some of the instruments almost disappear in a fold down.
    Mono was the intended primary medium for groups like The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson didn't do fold downs but mixed the multi-tracks to mono. Doing it this way, Brian could balance the instrumentation, what he wanted to be heard and put the vocals up front.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There is no change in frequency response when folding to mono.

Instruments won't disappear until they are already very low in level or are mixed out of phase.

9. Yes, by the mid-70's, the stations who could afford to began transferring the recordings to tape carts. One of the reasons for this was that records tended to wear out faster in that era.
    Most of the radio station records ended up on the used record market. I do collect these promo records. A person could buy one and it may look perfect, but when they play it, they hear that nasty scraping sound at the beginning of the record, especially with styrene records.
    Even with normal play at home the styrene records would get noticeable wear, compared to vinyl.

10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

For Christmas I bought myself an Electrohome Signature cabinet record player - yes it sounds like shyte and the record player itself is pretty cheap but it sure looks cool and I just use it to listen to 45's in my room when I don't have access to the big stereo.

Last night I was listening to a new batch of singles I had acquired whilst imbibing on some of my favorite intoxicants, when it occurred to me that I have come full circle - 50 years ago, I was 5 years old, spinning 45's on a cheap cabinet stereo that my mom had gotten me. I didn't imbibe in those days but not much else has really changed. There is something about playing singles that forces you to focus on that one song - it just seems to intensify the listening experience for me. Throw in the cool 45 covers and all the colored vinyl and other doodads and you've got just about the best musical artifact going as far as I am concerned.

I figure it's time for me to mutate into that final stage of old fart collector mindset. 45's seemed like the best way to go in this regard, though I notice this record player does have a 78 switch too...

[​IMG]

Just a few recent acquisitions:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fullbug, troggy, Reader and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

45s are little miracles. They sound great, they can go on high school football trips, and if you're lucky, you can get 2 great songs.
    45s were my gateway drug to music.

12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

What a great post! Little miracles, indeed!!

c-eling and Jamey K like this.
  13. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

[​IMG] Glad to finally scratch this one off my list!

TonyCzar, troggy and lpfreak1170 like this.
  14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Another great 45, both A and B side is Gordon Lightfoot's Black Day In July b/w Pussywillows, Cat-Tails.

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

What album is that taken from Brad? I have quite a few Gordon lp's, but apparently not that one, great song

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Did She Mention My Name - This album is also included on the United Artists CD collections that contain his entire UA album catalog.

Gordon Lightfoot - The United Artists Collection - Amazon.com Music and Gordon Lightfoot - Sunday Concert: Live - Amazon.com Music or Gordon Lightfoot - Original Lightfoot: United Art - Amazon.com Music or the Bear Family CDs are the CD issues to get The Bear Family CDs are listed at Gordon Lightfoot on CD, Vinyl and DVD at Bear-Family.com

For vinyl, look for Did She Mention My Name as mentioned above (both songs are on this album)

c-eling likes this.
  17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Recent ephemeral favorites. The fact that I am the proud owner of a Jean Paul Sartre single makes me a litte giddy. No idea what he is talking about of course, and he is a little synth-heavy, but still tres cool!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fullbug and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

Excellent, thanks for the links and insight Brad!

19. c-eling

For the promo mixes :)
    [​IMG]

Fullbug and lpfreak1170 like this.
  20. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Another random five reasons, in my opinion, why 45's are the best:

From the double-sided hits file:

Laughing / Undun (The Guess Who) 1969
    Travelin Man / Hello Mary Lou (Ricky Nelson) 1961
    Dance, Dance, Dance / The Warmth Of The Sun (The Beach Boys) 1964
    Paperback Writer / Rain (The Beatles) 1966
    Jumpin Jack Flash / Child Of The Moon (The Rolling Stones) 1968

21. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I've always felt that 45's were the "black and white cinema" of the pop music world, so to speak. Film critic / historian Roger Ebert once said that "you really can't begin to fully love film until you understand how black and white can add more, not less". I feel similarly about 45's. I love albums as much as anybody and both formats are equally capable of providing great works (and, most importantly, great listening enjoyment). Yet I feel that 45's are really the "original art form", at least from the approximate close of World War II up through the mid 60's. There is every bit as much magic (and thought) put into putting "Don't Be Cruel" alongside "Hound Dog" as there is in sequencing any full-length album. And, in the best instances, the single actually has more streamlined impact or focused brevity in its vision.

troggy and lpfreak1170 like this.
  22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

45s are the best because this still happens. I found this 45 recently at a church rummage sale. Great record and not even listed in either of the USA label discographies that I found online. Cost: 50 cents.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.