From "First to Worst"-When good TV shows go bad.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hbbfam, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I was never crazy about M*A*S*H* after around the time that Klinger stopped wearing dresses. Yes, it was still a well-written and well-acted program until the end, but it became a bit too preachy and self-important for my tastes.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must admit I struggled with season 5, then thought s4 was better( on reflection). But, still think s 1-3 is the best. All subjective, but good to hear another's opinion.

MikaelaArsenault and 93curr like this.
  3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

There can be reasons that people stop watching other than declining quality. Most notably, networks sometimes move popular shows from one time slot to another, and the competition may be too strong.

Also, shows can be canceled even if people are still watching, for various reasons.

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Last season of Homicide. Many of the characters act out of character just for the story to progress. The only good episode from this season is the one about the hostage negotiator, which is so good, Pembleton could have been in it. To be honest, I thought it slipped slightly after series two (but only just) and more after series three when there was too much Reed Diamond. The absence of Ned Beatty really hurt it; however, I thought it picked up after this, although series six is a little conventional.

Much preferred it to NYPD Blue, which - I feel - took the first of several dives after Caruso left. Later on - post Jimmy Smits - it piled too much crap on Andy, personally and professionally.

The X-Files - mostly around series six and beyond when the 'mythology' got too out of hand - having said that, there were still many excellent episodes, even without Mulder.

MASH - an old favourite. I've been rewatching this in sequence and it takes a notable dive after Gelbart stops writing scripts. The last three series, much of the comedy has been replaced by shouting and punning (loudly); the political edge almost disappears; the whole thing is too broad and too sentimental. It's as if all the minor characters think and talk alike - okay, there are SOME good episodes, but finishing the show after series seven or maybe eight wouldn't have hurt it. I know 'conventional' wisdom says the Alda written episodes are the worst, but they're not. Step forward Dan Wilcox & Thad Mumford and Elias Davis & David Pollock. Actually, Alda writes some of the better later episodes.

The Phil Silvers Show - the final series - it's like the writers don't get the show's strengths.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  5. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Never add a baby to a franchise! The producers of Bewitched only had to go back to "The Thin Man" movie franchise of the thirties to see how it would screw things up.

ParloFax likes this.
  6. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Fargo series. Seasons 1 and 2 were entertaining with likable characters. Season 3 killed off the best character with his "hillbilly hair," scenes were bathed in unnecessarily muted "mood" colors, and trudging through an entire eating/vomiting episode became like homework. After the bowling alley scene, the narrative went AWOL.

7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Spot on, although I could never watch other cop dramas after Homicide. It left them all in the dust, so I can't comment on NYPD Blue.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

As someone who taped 25 seasons of The Simpsons, I felt season 10 started to go down but 11 & 12 were real down. 13 & 14 were great. Season just ok but 16 was really good. 17 & 18 not so good. 19 better. 20 not so good. I don't remember 21-25 as much but there were good to bad with a few great episodes. As far as early ones; season 1 was good,2 better, 3 even better, then great from 4-8 or 9. I love 9 but you can start to feel season 10 in it sometimes.

9. alexpop

Does NyPB have a continuity story line or individual shows ?

This apples to Homicide as well ?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. alexpop

24" Again season 1-3 at least 4.
    Then same old.

The Shield ? Couldn't really find any faults.

11. Bobby Buckshot

MikaelaArsenault and alexpop like this.
  12. Descartridge

Descartridge Forum Resident

Yes Fargo III stunk worse than Varga's teeth looked.

Jim N. and KeninDC like this.
  13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I loved seasons 1 and 2. We stopped watching season 3 after about episode 5 (the one with Mac Davis "Hard to be Humble" at intro). So several weeks of saved episodes accumulated. Last night we watched another episode. I am determined to get through this series in the hope that the next season will be better. But this is a big drop off as far as me and the missus are concerned.

KeninDC likes this.
  14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

That's the way I feel too. I mean, I love The Wire and understand its brilliance in scope etc, but the characters in the first three seasons of Homicide are wonderful. Anyone who only knows the emasculated Munch from the various Law and Order shows is in for a very pleasant surprise.

I'm surprised someone mentioned later Rockford episodes. I always thought the show improved; felt it became much wittier, smarter and it stretched the formula as it went on.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

I think since it operated on the fringes they had a bit more freedom in allowing these actors the space they needed. The show's excellence those first few seasons just exposed how sanitized its more well known competitors were.

16. I'd add Barney Miller, Taxi and Cheers to that short list.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Did anyone ever tell you that you look like forum member WhoseLineFan? :D

OldSoul likes this.
  18. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

The first SIMPSONS episode that really turned me off was "Bart Mangled Banner", with it's painfully obvious and predictable conservative-bashing. And I'm not even a conservative.

Dudley Morris and ohnothimagen like this.
  19. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Oh, I loved that show! I completely forgot about it, before I saw this... Thanks for the bringing back some fond memories. :righton:

Holy Diver likes this.
  20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think The Carol Burnett Show also ended while it was still good. If I remember correctly, in her final monologue Carol Burnett explained that it was time to end the show while it was still good rather than letting the show turn bad.

Benno123 likes this.
  21. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Yes and that CBS wanted a 12th year but that she felt it was time to go.

22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Every creative team should read Jump The Shark by Jon Hein. In addition to adding a baby, other things that can cause a show to jump are:
    - Adding a young relative of unexplained origins
    - Marriage (if the characters were not already married)

GodShifter and fr in sc like this.
  23. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I don't remember this one but the glory days ended for me with the episode about the singing jockey elves or some stupid thing like that. I believe the episode is called "Saddlesore Galaxy" or something like that. I care so little I won't even bother to look up the correct name to see if I am right or not!

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

And Ted McGinley.

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.