Upgrade Angst: Buying a New Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Disionity, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've had an AT LP-120 for a year and a half now, have grown increasingly dissatisfied with it. The motor noise during quiet passages drives me crazy (tried a cork mat, didn't do anything), the wow and flutter isn't too noticeable, but the fact that it's there at the levels it is (the RPM app on my phone says it's 0.92% and seems to run slow at 45RPM) drives my OCD up the wall, plus the overall sound signature is a little soft and dull. Yes, I know I could mod the table, but at that point I'd kinda just rather upgrade to something with a better motor, platter, and tonearm. Vintage tables simply aren't practical, as I never find any in my area outside of the occasional scumbag selling a beat-to-hell SL-1200 for $400. So that leaves me with new decks. My plan is to sell off or trade in the LP-120 for either a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Espirit or the Rega Planar 2. Out of these two, which do you guys prefer? I know the Rega has room for upgrades, whereas the Pro-Ject is stuck as-is. However, the lack of any specs on the Rega is concerning.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Either one of those options is going to be a huge step up from your current turntable. You won't be disappointed. Do you have a local dealer? What do they carry?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Go with a Rega, but scrap up th cash and get a P3!

WapatoWolf, Gavinyl, ZenMango and 7 others like this.
  4. Disionity

There is one dealer a little less than an hour and a half from me that said he'd give me a fair price for the LP-120 put towards the Pro-Ject (he said he couldn't give me an exact price until he saw the table in person), as they don't carry any Rega models. My other option is to put the LP-120 on Craigslist use the money towards the Rega. MusicDirect has a trade-in program, but considering I'd have to pay to ship it to Chicago, screw that.

5. MIA2RDU

MIA2RDU Well-Known Member

Get the Rega! I was in the same position as you (although I had the LP120 for 7 yrs and I did do some upgrading to it) and I went for the Rega Planar 1. Love the upgradability on the Rega and it sounds great! I second the recommendation to save up and get the Planar 3.

Don't even think about the Pro-Ject and get the Rega!

WapatoWolf, Gavinyl and ZenMango like this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Get the Rega

WapatoWolf, Gavinyl and ZenMango like this.
  7. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

JamesD1957 and George Blair like this.
  8. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

+1 for saving for a P3

9. Rega for me. I have a 17yr old P3 and it still sounds great with a Heed PSU.

Upstateaudio and Gavinyl like this.
  10. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I had entry level TTs from both Pro-Ject and Rega. It's difficult to remain civil and describe my disappointment from both products, but terms like shoddy manufacturing, corner cutting, "cost effective" design and primitive come to my mind.

My personal opinion, which you are free to dismiss, is to avoid entry level products if you are stuck with both manufacturers and jump directly to their mid range offerings.

11. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

While I still maintain that entry level TT's from Rega and Pro-Ject offer quite decent 'toe-dip' into the world of records. In regards to OP's upgrade question, I think you are quite right. There's just no value add in upgrading to aforementioned models.

Regards

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. richard38

richard38 New Member

What's is the point op replacing your current table, to buy a new little better table then which you have and what about your amp,pre amp phono amp s[eakers, are they good.
    If i were you i wouldn't nothing new beneath 3000 euro, no ****ty technics which all hthose areas to be modded...platter,psu,painjob,tonearm,feet,bearing..... just buy a good table at once:

13. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Let's get back to your original question. How much do you want to spend initially ?

14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I say refurbished dual from fixmydual.com

Firehead and heyMo like this.
  15. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

16. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I have to agree with wax freak as a refurbished Dual is a good choice. My 1264 has been going strong for over 35 years. I also agree the Rega will also be a good choice and if you can go with the 3, it will be worth it. Along with the Dual, I have a Rega and could not be happier. Both great tables.

Good luck with your selection!

17. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I had a Dual 1237. It was a decent table. I gave it to my dealer. I felt that someone who didn't have a bunch of money could at least enjoy it. I bought a Rega RP1. I felt that it sounded better. Not night and day. The Rega only cost me $440 so... Anyway, over the years the Rega has been upgraded. That is one great thing about Rega. You can buy at the price point where you want to end or the price point that you can afford today and upgrade later.

18. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

save and buy a vpi

Firehead and PhxJohn like this.
  19. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Music Hall makes great turntables.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  20. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

If in the budget, I agree....buy SOTA or VPI. American made.

McLover likes this.
  21. Disionity

Thanks for so much input. So open reply to everyone here so far (as I'm too lazy to quote a bunch of posts):

I would like to think I've got some pretty decent parterning kit. I've got a NAD c326bee with a pair of Quad 12L Classic speakers coming from MusicDirect. No phono stage yet, as I'm aiming on saving for a better table first. The budget's fairly flexible, as I'm willing to be patitent and save more money, though frankly If I spent more than a grand I think I'd feel sick. I definitely see the point in spending a lot now, so I don't have to spend more later. As for vintage Duals, I love the looks and sound of 'em, but have never pulled the trigger on one. I've toyed around with buying an untested/as-is unit from eBay and hoping to god it's an easy fix, but the proposition of getting an already restored one is captavating. What kind of price bracket would I be looking at? That aside there is always the concern of malfunction with vintage units, but it's not like the Rega is a saint either. I just can't believe a nearly $1,000 table still has problems with speed stability and warped platters.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I'd look for a used RP6 with the Groovetracer subplatter. There will be some for sale soon when the new P6 hits the stores. Might be able to grab one for right around a grand.

Gavinyl likes this.
  23. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I have never heard music played from a Rega 3.

I see an option at Turntable Lab for one with an Ortofon Blue.

:uhhuh: <---- this guy says "Yes!"

Is this a great matchup or what?

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The more you spend, the more you are going to get but it's really all about system matching.

If you think there is a chance you will one day like to spend $700 or more on a cart, that's probably when you are going to be dissapointed in that project or Rega.

For $1,000, I would substitute the word vintage for used. Stay on audiogon or eBay until something comes up for that much inside of ten years old. Buy from a guy that is upgrading rather than flipping and you will do well.

Strat-Mangler and bluemooze like this.
  25. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Look on Audiogon if your budget is limited (whose isn't?) . Bought bought my Scoutmaster from Audiogon and saved a bundle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.