Turntable dust cover up or down while playing records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

I am just curious, do you leave the dust cover up while playing records? Or, do you put it up and down every time you play a record? And do you have reasons why one way makes more sense than the other?

Of course, some dust covers are completely removable instead of having hinges. But I still want to know if you put the dust cover back over the record during play, or leave it off during play. And, of course, why?

I know, I know, this has been discussed before, and usually ends up causing arguments and thread removal.

:-popcorn:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've been putting the cover down on my Thorens TD 145 for well over 30 years now, I don't hear a difference, and would rather keep the dust off the record and table.

Man at C&A, bluemooze and DigMyGroove like this.
  3. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

My dust cover is separate, so I take it off for the listening session, return it when complete :)

dbsea, TLMusic, shirleyujest and 3 others like this.
  4. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

the dust cover on my pro-ject debut lll is removable.i do so during playback to avoid any possible vibration.
    if the cover was not removable i imagine keeping it up would minimize vibration.

5. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Down, but I own a Rega and it doesn't seem to affect it. I have owned tables where it very much mattered and I took the covers off.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I play with it down on my UTurn and Fluance tables, but my Marantz TT-15 has no cover and I was worried about ramifications. There have been no ramifications, no more dust clicks and pops, and I no longer worry about same. I'm not even planning to buy a cover for it anymore. I've played the UTurn without the cover but don't hear a difference either way. Try it both ways and see which way appeals to you?

7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I remove it when playing on the turntables that I own that have the ability to easily do so. Purely for aesthetic reasons. On my Technics linear tracker the tonearm is in the lid so I leave that one closed.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The VPI HW-19 originally came with a dust cover, but mine was broken at some point, so I'm currently dust cover free. Sadly, my table is quite dusty. Weird.

9. sami

sami Mono still rules

Off.

ATSMUSIC and DrZhivago like this.
  10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

With my LP12, I've listened with the cover up, down, and off and hear no difference. This being the case, I prefer to let the dustcover do it's job.

11. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

When I begin a listening session, my usual routine is - Start the turntable, remove the cover, turn on the CD player, then phono preamp, and then the integrated amp. When I'm done, it's all that in reverse. I very often even listen to a CD while the turntable is spinning.

12. russk

russk Forum Resident

I have an RP6 and can take the cover all the way off but I also have dust and cats and kids so the cover stays on and closed at all times when I'm not actually putting an LP on the platter or flipping one. I have taken it completely off for a listen vs having it on and down and heard no difference. When it's up and playing the sound is a bit muddier with my Cornwalls filling the room at loud volumes.

GLENN and PhilBiker like this.
  13. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Usually on, mostly so my kids don't grab the tonearm! :laugh:

My previous Clearaudio 'table had a plexiglass cover that wasn't attached and didn't touch the 'table itself, so it definitely didn't make any difference in the sound. Now I have an SL-1200G with a hinged cover (through it's easily removed). It may make a slight difference in the sound, but I wouldn't want to be subjected to a blind test. I still usually leave it on (and down), but sometimes when I'm listening alone at night I leave it off.

14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Dust cover up or down while playing records?

Both, doesn't really matter to me. But... lately up. :)

15. completely off and on the floor somewhere out of view :tiphat:

PhilBiker, Gavinyl and Kristofa like this.
  16. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

I have a Marantz TT15 myself and I bought a material dust cover from Custom Dust Covers | Protective Equipment Covers by DigitalDeckCovers and have been very happy with it, fits like a glove. It was less than $40 with shipping and well worth it.

Keep 'em spinning,
    Bill

17. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I detach and remove the dust cover from my LP12 while playing records. The cover stays on the rest of the time.

18. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Long, long time since I played music through a contraption with moving parts suspectible to dust - but I used to have the cover down on my turntables, or removed and set aside if possible. What you want to avoid is having the cover up and then accidentally nudging it when you are playing a disc, so it slams down causing an almighty jump of the stylus. Not cool when that happens, not cool at all.

19. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I leave my cover off during play. Why? because it looks way better than on. I keep it off the hinges so I just lift it up to remove. I put the cover on when not in use of course.

20. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I keep the dustcover off when I am using it. If it stays on for whatever reason, I keep it down.

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Noticed dust was getting into my TT, even though it's shut 95% of the time, I was leaving it open when I was playing records.

No more--I certainly do not detect a sound difference with it up or down in my setup.

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Up or off.

Mazzy likes this.
  23. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

In a closet somewhere...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Up when using a record clamp: down when not. To be honest i cant really hear any difference when up or down. I like to think that a record clamp tightens the bass but it may well be just a placebo effect.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I leave the cover up on my Thorens TD321 because if leaving it down after playing a LP, and then opening the lid,this can cause the tonearm to move and damage the LP unless one is extremely careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.