Cliff Richard. The UK Singles 1976-1983. Pick Your Favourites.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Nov 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I have now! ;)

Great song! Perhaps my favorite of the songs I've heard. :cool:

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

He had some great singles out in the 60s.

At least you know where to come if you want any more info.:)

Jarleboy and Johnny Reb like this.
  3. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

Miss You Nights
    My Kinda Life
    We Don't Talk Anymore
    She Means Nothing To Me

Not many bad tracks here and I could easily have chosen a lot more.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Agree. It´s a good overview of his singles, sticking to Top Ten hits and major fan favourites only. If you want a one-stop career overview, this is the one to get.

And you get "GOLDEN" as a lovely present.

Wingsfan2012 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Jarleboy

Keep up the good missionary work, Bobby! :righton:

And @Johnny Reb, if you feel like extending your Cliff repertoire, these three compilations would cover most of your needs:

1. "40 GOLDEN GREATS" (1977) - covers the best loved hits between 1958-1977, good sound!
    2. "THE HITS IN BETWEEN" (1998) - includes most of the hits that were missed out on the compilation above.
    3. "PRIVATE COLLECTION" (1988) - covers the major hits between 1979-1988.
    4. "75 AT 75" (2015) - covers his whole career up to 2015, but only has the biggest hits and a few "important" songs.

If you´re concerned with good sound, Steve Hoffman mastered a CD called "CLIFF RICHARD - THE COLLECTION 1976-1994" on Razor & Tie. It´s basically an expanded and well-mastered version of "PRIVATE COLLECTION".

Feel free to drop in on our discussion thread "CLIFF RICHARD - BACK FROM THE WILDERNESS SINGLES AND ALBUMS 1975-1995". We couldn´t help ourselves, and have now extended the timelines to include later and earlier albums and singles. We´re a very friendly bunch. :righton:

6. Johnny Reb

Thanks a lot!

7. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Only put together a few Cliff favourites on an Apple Music playlist a couple of months back after hearing Carrie on the radio. younger me was WAY to much of a Ramones fan etc to countenance listening to Cliff, present day me not so much. Odd as my 8yo self loved many of these songs when my aunt would play them in the late 70s/early 80s. Love the production on Carrie and We Don't Talk Anymore in particular. So, chose:

Miss You Nights
    Devil Woman
    We Don't Talk Anymore
    Carrie
    Little In Love
    Wired For Sound
    Daddy's Home
    The Only Way Out
    She Means Nothing To Me (With Phil Everly)

My 8yo self would've voted for Spider-Man if it'd been a single.

Now off to read the wilderness years thread :)

8. Bobby Morrow

Did you ever investigate Cliff any further? So to speak.:)

Johnny Reb likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Spider-Man was weird. Especially for Cliff.:)

coffeetime likes this.
  10. Johnny Reb

People around here must not be fans, I have yet to find a single Cliff item for sale "in the wild"! But I've been looking. I may have to see what B&N have... :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

You should have a chat to some of the people in @Jarleboy's huge Cliff thread.:)

Jarleboy and Johnny Reb like this.
  12. Johnny Reb

I've actually been over there quite a bit - only posted once, but sure learned a lot from reading. It's truly a wealth of information!

On another note, what's a good and common compilation that won't break the bank, if one exists? I'm sure @Jarleboy has an opinion too... :wave:

13. duggan

duggan Senior Member

This, small window into Cliff's career, is a better collection of hits than the complete catalogue of some lauded and more "respected artists".

14. Bobby Morrow

@Jarleboy would be better suited to advise you on comps than me. Especially if you want his 50s/60s stuff.

The 1988 comp Private Collection contains about 15 of the songs in the poll, sounds great and should be dirt cheap if you want to dip your toe in the water.

But as I say, @Jarleboy will know more than me.:)

Johnny Reb likes this.
  15. Johnny Reb

That does look good! $4.71 shipped on Amazon for a used copy... very tempting. I'm wondering if there is a career-spanning comp, otherwise, this looks like a great option. :cool:

16. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I chose six, and some great songs in there:-

Miss You Nights - my favourite from this era.

Devil Woman

We Don't Talk Anymore - I'm certain that Cliff wouldn't sing the alternative lyrics my work colleagues do!

Carrie

Suddenly

Wired For Sound

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Jarleboy

I certainly do, Johnny! If you want the whole stretch of his career, try these:

* "40 GOLDEN GREATS" - covering the years 1958-1977, with a good selection of his biggest successes. (Some deep cuts, like my all-time favourite "WHEN TWO WORLDS DRIFT APART" are missing, but on the whole, it´s a good selection.
    * "PRIVATE COLLECTION" - covering the years 1979-1988. (The CD has 19 tracks, the double LP version has five more tracks.)

If you add "THE HITS IN BETWEEN" D from 1998, you have more or less all the Cliff material you need. For now...

There are plenty of other compilations, among others a box set of all his singles, excluding the duets - the original price was dirt cheap, but I fear it has risen now. "THE SINGLES COLLECTION" - 6 CDs in a box, mastered a bit too loud, but if you can find it cheap on eBay or elsewhere, it´s a perfect place to start.

There´s also a box set released in 1998, covering ost of his up to that year. I can´t remember the name of it right now - it was "40th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION" or something close to that, with five or six CDs. Normally it´s pretty expensive, but I came across it on eBay for less than £20, so... You can be lucky.

EDIT: I found this on eBay - highly recommended: (NB! I can only recommend it because of the track selection - I don´t have a copy myself, so I can´t vouch for the sound quality, but I should think it´s good.)
    CLIFF RICHARD - 40th ANNIVERSARY 5 CD 1998 - AUSTRALIAN BOX SET - NEW SEALED | eBay

I could send you a copy of "PRIVATE COLLECTION", as I have an extra copy, but I think you can find several copies almost as cheap as free.

Good luck! :righton:

Bobby Morrow and Johnny Reb like this.
  18. Jarleboy

About "WE DON´T TALK ANYMORE": When interviewed for his 1990 Knebworth appearance, he commented on the song as one of his "bad salads" - or "sad ballads", of course. He also reported that many people thought that instead of "It´s so funny/How we don´t talk anymore", many people had asked him how he, as a Christian, could sing this: "Tits and fanny/How we don´t talk anymore". And then he laughed!

We hear what we want to hear, don´t we? :agree:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Bobby Morrow and Randoms like this.
  19. Johnny Reb

Wow. Now that's a great bit of text there! I'd take you up on the offer for Private Collection, but the shipping cost from Norway would be brutal! :) The other two box sets are a bit out of my price range (the Singles Collection isn't that bad, just haven't got much money right now.), so I guess I'll start with 40 Golden Greats. There's a copy on eBay for $5.85 shipped... a good price, and that'll keep me going until I find a copy of Private Collection. Thanks a lot for the summary!

20. Johnny Reb

Was listening tonight to Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset album, and man is his duet with Cliff, "Whenever God Shines His Light", a good song! Not on the poll, but I'll vote other for that.

21. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Yes, they were the alternative lyrics! I'd never heard them, until my current job.

There again, I probably hadn't played any Cliff, at work, until my current job!

22. Bobby Morrow

The Van duet was a hit, but outside the time frame of this poll.

Johnny Reb and Jarleboy like this.
  23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Devil Woman, for me.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Jarleboy

"40 Golden Greats" is a good start, and if you later add "Private Collection" and "The Hits In Between", you\re off to a good start.

Good luck with your Cliff collection! :righton:

Johnny Reb and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Johnny Reb

40 Golden Greats came a couple of days ago, and I just dug into it, and I have @Bobby Morrow and you to thank for steering me towards getting something that'll give me much enjoyment over my life! Man is it good! Nearly every song on it is a ringer. I like listening to the progression as Cliff takes the best from the musical directions of the time to create a blend that is all him, yet sounds like the era it's from. The producer, Norrie Paramor (for most of it anyway), did a really good job, and this original CD sounds really good. My favorite eras were the early 60's ('60 & '61 in particular) and the "psychedelic" era ('65-'69), including my favorites "Blue Turns To Grey" and "In The Country". Bobby Morrow was right though, I do like the pre-'73 stuff more than the later stuff, even though it's all good.

:righton: :bdance:

Jarleboy, coffeetime and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.