Janet Jackson | Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

1993 | Anytime, Anyplace

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  2. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I didn't know this was a single. Nice artwork, though.

3. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

This one had a subtle but mellow music video. om sure if you check out the video on YouTube it may bring back memories of seeing it. I think MTV and VH1 wore it out.

4. BlueGangsta

The R Kelly mix turned out more popular than the album mix. Personally, I prefer the album mix, it's possibly Janet's best baby-making-song. The bassline is killer, the piano is suspenseful and the click track is strangely haunting. And Janet's vocals?! Good lord, I need a cigarette.

JackDVD78 likes this.
  5. Yost

Well sir, your post made me take notice. ;)

I don't know the Janet album by heart so I listened again and I agree this is a very nice song, better than Come Back To Me or Someday Is Tonight (from Rhythm Nation). But Personally I still like Funny How Time Flies (from Control) and Rope Burn (from The Velvet Rope) better. FHTF is the template for all her slow songs, and I think she completely managed to do it right the first time.

6. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Really wish that this thread hadn’t fizzled out!

7. BlueGangsta

Me too. :(

If there is enough interest, Id be more than happy to start it again.

SITKOL'76 and Naughty Chord like this.
  8. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

Happy 25th Anniversary to Janet Jackson's janet. :righton:

9. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I know we're not supposed to skip ahead but can we backtrack?

Loved this extended video when it came out. I've had The Knowledge in my head for a couple of days since I recently revisited Rhythm Nation 1814. So I thought well, why not look up Janet's video where (as I recall) it's included.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    janet changed everything. Gone were the ever-present black ensembles covering her recurrent weight problems. Gone were some of the neuroses that kept her in bad relationships. Gone was the surname which tied her to the family that no longer served her creatively. Gone was her old record label. Ironically, it was with Virgin Records that she expressed her sexual awakening. It was a major move for Janet which catapulted her into the stratosphere where all the other one name superstars live.

It's too bad that she couldn't evolve much further, though. The creative freshness of the Rolling Stone cover days was turned on its head by the Superbowl Halftime Show/Justin Timberlake debacle. Her sexy allure became dark camp. Great for club remixes but deadly for album sales. Most important, she left behind the creative musical team that kept her fresh. The Jam/Lewis/Jackson tandem was really her trump card when all is said and done (imo). But perhaps she felt she did all she could do with them.

A few favorites on janet: That's The Way Love Goes, You Want This, If, Again

This Time
    is an embarrassing waste of soprano, Kathleen Battle's talent; incomparable with a lyric or melody, when she's free to improvise here she seems completely lost.

It's a middle-of-the-road r&b album that Janet would top with Velvet Rope, though, as I pointed out, the sexual expression is decidedly darker.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  11. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'll try to post here if you continue

12. BlueGangsta

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1994 | You Want This

13. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

You Want This ... until now I had never heard any of the remixes, except for the music video version that I believe features MC Lyte

The Disco Theory was decent but I came across this one Underdub

I really like the sound of this one possibly it is unofficial release.

14. Yost

You Want This didn’t make it to my iPhone. And after revisiting it today the track didn’t change my opinion. Nice artwork, though.

15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

16. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Excellent! Not crazy bout the format but glad to see a dedicated Janet thread. :righton:

I love the rhythm section in You Want This and MC Lyte's cameo in the video. BTW, The Supremes 's Love Child is sampled at the beginning:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  17. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Frankly, if you're not a dancer or, at least fond of dancing, half of Janet's appeal may be lost on you. One of her club monster jams from janet:

Throb

The Brian Friedman treatment

18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Various Janet Jackson albums being re-released on vinyl next week.

Yost and Naughty Chord like this.
  19. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I saw that Control was being released but where are you seeing others?

20. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

On uDiscover they have 'Rhythm Nation', 'janet.', 'The Velvet Rope', 'All For You' and 'Control: The Remixes' up for pre-order.

janet jackson

21. Naughty Chord

Thank you. I see that the release date for Control is in June but all others are in July. I guess why only Control is up on Janet's website.

Her shop has black vinyl and translucent red vinyl.

Janet Jackson

Marble Index likes this.
  22. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Hmmm wouldn’t mind picking up some of the Vinyl re-issues based on reviews / audio quality.

23. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Just a head's up that I picked up the Control reissue and there's really no real sonic improvement compared to my 1986 original. I am looking forward to Rhythm Nation finally being spread out on 2 LPs though. The originals have to be cranked loudly to get any life out of them due to the side lengths.

24. Naughty Chord

Can you comment on how the original LPs sound vs the CDs?

25. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Given this fall marks thirty years, a 2LP reissue of RN1814 would be amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.