Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Ability to print more? Yes. Will they? I'd say almost certainly not. This will help drive next year's subscriptions, which are clearly the major goal of the series. Will they increase next year's totals? Possibly.

2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Why not do both? Although you are most probably correct.

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Realistically, it wouldn't change anything. Theoretically, subscriptions may go down if they don't guarantee you easy access to a very limited release.
    We've dissected their marketing strategy in the past, and it seems to be based on a guaranteed return on investment over the long haul, not on maximizing short term profits.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Pardon answering a rhetorical, but 8-28-88 at Autzen (Jimmy Cliff & Robert Cray too) was kinda off. Loads of flubbed lyrics, a cussin' Brent on Rooster (nothing wrong with that, but he seemed beat up), and I seem to recall Terrapin being a bit of a mess too though I might be wrong. I never sought out a tape of it but I probably should check out the Archive copy one of these days. Just last week was the 30th anniversary of Dylan & The Dead at Autzen. Time flies, as it felt like 2 years ago was my 25th anniversary of moving out here, but that can't be since I arrived before that show. :sigh:

jamesmaya and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I'm guessing they up next year's print run to 17,500 or 18,000.

ronbow and ianuaditis like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Sold out already? I was not going to buy it now, but I'm sure lots of people couldn't even try to get it.
    They should really consider leaving the crappy limited edition thing, but that's not gonna happen, I know.

jay.dee, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Classic show that got the x factor of 1978. Don't know much about the first set, but the good stuff in the second is amazing and I hope that Norman brought out the best of Jerry's howlin wolf during mastering.

Also, cool to hear the complete show in Betty board quality for the first time!

US Blues likes this.
  8. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Could be wrong since it's been a while now, but my impression was they included filler on the down-low for at least one of DP13 and DP29. Between them, I would've bet on the former.

Also, so how does this pick tie into the clues that some folks were trying to solve?

Phoenician likes this.
  9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

My guess is that will depend on how well subscriptions sell. Given the three hour sell out and if DP 24 is a killer pick, I could see them getting close to 16,500 subscriptions. I think they could easily support a run of 18k

10. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Both had filler, DiP 13 was added on the same track at the end of disc 2, DiP 29's bonus unlisted, but separate tracks (much preferred). I doubt they will do either given the other 78 releases (DaP 5 and 15, July '78 box) had short discs, as did the GSTL box. I think 25-35 min CDs are the new norm.

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Kepler-186f, until about a month ago the only live Dead we had there was 12/13 & 14/70 and 10/31/71. :laugh:

Me too, but lately I've been listening to so much GD that I've been feeling kinda like having my mood enhanced. Fortunately, I believe one of my wife's gal pals recently left her some mood enhancers that would do nicely.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  12. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Right, the part I was addressing was whether the filler was announced before they were shipped. I thought that for at least one of those releases, the filler wasn't known until people got their sets and discovered it. But like you say, multiple examples more recently of just leaving the space blank.

13. I seem to recall the Dave's Vol. 18 filler being discussed during the Seaside Chat in advance of the release. My guess is this will have a short disc, no filler. That does not bother me in the least.

14. budwhite

I think it's more of a '78 show vibe than a '77 dito(for those who keep score), Jerry sounds iffy coming out of a really bad cold, but the playing from Jer and the band is spectacular at times.

I'm listening to the Terrapin outro right now and its pretty goddamn raw!
    Enjoy the show!

15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Don't tell anyone but USRH11701420 is Prankster code for Kesey's secret stash of MKULTRA drugs. The secret of both the Veneta and Mac Court shows.

(The ugly rumors linking this stash to the 1970's era U of O athletic Dept are NOT true.)

budwhite likes this.
  16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I just did, and I still have no idea what you are referencing. Save for someone's license plate number. Or something only seen in the Hubble Telescope. But since I have no image to share, I present in it's place, the Sombrero Galaxy:

[​IMG]

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Cassius likes this.
  18. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

was just able to order DP #23 after multiple failed attempts, so not yet completely gone.

dzhason likes this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

They have since fixed it, but in the track list on dead.net, this is what the listing for Jack Straw looked like when they made the announcement: Jack Straw USRH11701420.

US Blues likes this.
  20. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

There are some available right now on dead.net.

ianuaditis and saundr00 like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Ah, man, I was being playful. You said to pipe up, so I did, then I responded to your question. Now I'm going to soak in the hot springs. :uhhuh:

Archtop likes this.
  22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Hey, the July 1978 box is still available after over 2 years, surely 1978 can't be all that popular.

23. budwhite

tomato tomato ?

24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Fortunately for me!!! I just ordered it earlier today.

bmoregnr and budwhite like this.
  25. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I just bought a copy at dead.net a few minutes ago. The add to cart button is still there.

Where is it being reported as sold out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.