Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I think $1595 is a great price considering you get the TT-PSU which allows electronic speed change, pitch adjust, and reduces motor vibration. I think Rega is going to clean up in what I consider the mid level market.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

you would probably notice the speed difference if all of a sudden your table slowed down to true 33-1/3 speed.
    but quite honestly the idea of a slightly fast , dynamic table appeals to me. a genius move by rega IMHO.

3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I understand that the new TT-PSU for the P6 allows pitch adjustment. If it does, I may buy one for my Rega RP? as I cosmetically damaged my current TT-PSU.

4. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Obviously your priorities are different than most around these parts.

Strat-Mangler, Mazzy and PhxJohn like this.
  5. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

That's the purpose of kittens and Youtube.

PhxJohn likes this.
  6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Cats are cool. I have one. And our community has a few.

thesisinbold likes this.
  7. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

I may have to upgrade my RP-1 now. Why do I keep reading this forum?!

Love my Rega gear.

8. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

We may hold entirely different ideas regarding stress relief and happy endings!

Shiver likes this.
  9. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yeah so the Planar 6...lol

If those US pricing figures are any indication that looks good for the Aussie prices staying the same as the RP6 $1,999 without cart.

10. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Has anyone heard when the Planar 6 will be available in the US? I'm in NYC.

11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

First batch had been ordered and Sound Org is expecting delivery to arrive around the middle/end of next month.

12. RC2257

RC2257 Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this was already posted, but just in case:

Needledoctor has the Planar 6 available for pre-order, shipping in a couple weeks. Their Planar 6 page has some info that might be helpful.

Rega Planar 6 Turntable w/ Neo TT-PSU

I bought a new Planar 3 / Elys 2 from them last winter. No quality control problems here. And Needle Doctor's service, before and after the sale, was top notch.

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ok, so if my memory is correct, the TT alone went up $100, but the TT + Exact is the same as the RP6?

14. T P6 has the white belt and a one piece machine metal subplatter a value of almost $300 making the new table a better deal than the RP 6 plus upgrades by almost $200.

Plus now you get the improved power supply.

jon9091 likes this.
  15. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Its a no brainer at its price point now by the sounds of it... still cant wait to compare it to my P7

16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Don't forget the better arm, improved bearing, and that new foam plinth. Just as the new P3 was a big jump on the RP3, the new P6 is going to be a nice jump on the RP6. Gandy has hit a couple home runs with his new mid priced tables.

GoldprintAudio and Mazzy like this.
  17. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

This is correct. Rega is discounting the Exact on the P6 $200 for the combo, versus the $100 discount that was offered with the RP6.

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Exactly. The foam plinth is the largest improvement, the other bits add-up to as much also.
    -Bill

19. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

New promo video of the Planar 6.

20. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

I'm sure the Planar 6 is going to be a good TT, but that is a pretty fluffy video. Yes - apparently they made a number of "custom" elements for it. Who woulda thought?

Donniej likes this.
  21. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

Yeah nice looking video but really no substance. You can get more info just reading the specs on their website.

22. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Well I thought that video was really sexy, not fluffy. It could be on a website that begins with a P and ends in hub.

googlymoogly likes this.
  23. What would you expect from a 2 minute promo video? It showcases all the new features of the table along with the simple beauty of the design-like a car ad.. And unlike some of the other manufactures, Rega designs and manufacturers almost all of the components themselves. They have found it's more cost effective with a higher quality ratio to go in-house.

In terms of detailed specs, no promo video lists everything. Like with cars, vacuum cleaner and electric toothbrushes, all the specs are on the websites. Thee videos are hero beauty pieces.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    btf1980 and andybeau like this.
  24. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

I was mostly laughing at their insistent and overly-dramatic use of the word "custom". Jeebus, what the hell else would we expect other than that they are making specific elements designed for that specific turntable? Imagine that.

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Tough crowd :laugh:

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.