Billy Joel Greatest Hits MOFI Price

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gss, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I wouldn't be able pick the mixdown master from a 1:1 dupe in that setting.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'd love for them to take a trip to the Abbey Road studios.

Dave, Tullman and snorker like this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"Captain Jack" on the MoFi of Piano Man is terrific. The MoFi is a distinct improvement over my early pressing. The sound is bigger, more dynamic, and more complex.

snorker likes this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, I just don't have a point of reference. Good to know.

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They do everything in house.

From Wiki

Recording engineer Brad Miller (1939–1998) created the first recordings on the Mobile Fidelity label during the late 1950s and 1960s. These were recordings of environmental, locomotive sounds and orchestral music, which drew interest from audiophiles but gained little attention from the public.

snorker likes this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just The Way You Are sounds terrific!

snorker likes this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Good to know. I don't have an original with which to compare.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Only The Good Die Young kicks!! It has tons of slam!

Coricama likes this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Big Shot sounds great! Nice, open sound.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just finished listening to the entire set. All I can say is the SQ is excellent, whatever sources were utilized.

If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it.

My copy is #622

11. pedalhead

pedalhead Forum Resident

Has anyone had their order fulfilled from WowHD for this one? Price was £37 (now up to £75) but all is quiet from them about my original order at the moment.

12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

However, people are running to pay $100 (and way for from flippers) for a single one-step album.

Jrr and Tommyboy like this.
  13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Been waiting for this release, and yes, it's more expensive than I thought it would be, but my reservation is that I own the MFSL 45 's. I can't see, unless someone here compares and tells me different, that this will top them.

I'm also kinda bummed that they didn't keep this a 2 lp set. It would have kept the price down, and had the listening experience of the original, with more continuous flow and less flipping. We'll see, I'll probably splurge anyway.

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

As someone pointed already pointed out, the original 2LP set contained too much music per side for the best audio quality. As with the decision to go to 3 LPs with the Mono Past Masters from The Beatles In Mono LP set, by spreading the music out to an extra disc, it allows for better fidelity. By your argument, why not do it on 1 disc, so it will only cost $35. Seriously, if the point of these releases is to get the best sound, whether it be at 33 1/3 or 45rpm, they, nor you, should use bean counting as the ultimate goal. If you want an inexpensive version of BJ's Greatest Hits, you already have one, right? It's the standard release.

15. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Are these tracks the originals or are some single edits?

16. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Originals.
    That, plus the extra tracks, are two of the big advantages over the original set.

Tommyboy, Jrr and spaulding like this.
  17. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Can you expand a little on what this means as Sterling is obviously not a reissue label. Are you saying they'll only allow reissue labels to use their original analogue tapes at Sterling? It's an odd practise given they're okay sending their original analogue masters to LA (BGM) for Legacy releases.

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Sterling is Analogue Productions' "house mastering facility" at the East Coast. It seems Sterling has a good relationship to Sterling. George Marino and now Ryan Smith can use the original tapes from the Sony vaults. AP also use the tapes from Sony at the West Coast.... mastered by Kevin Gray.

It is unusual today, major record labels ship the original analogue tapes. For example all master tapes stored at Abbey Road.... will never leave Abbey Road Studios. If a boutique label want reissue a record, they get a copy... 1:1 analog copy or 1:1 hi-rez files.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Can't argue with any of that. And if asked, because my opinion is so important to them, I would always prefer to pay more if it needs to be stretched to three discs. We are buying these to get the absolute best sound. I basically forget what I paid for something if I am enjoying the product, but it's amazing how you remember, with great accuracy, if you don't. Good points.

Tommyboy and AnalogJ like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I'm amazed any label ever lets a master out of it's sight. So, I get the skepticism of some regarding source used. I assumed they would master where ever the masters were held. Even if there is great trust, shipping is a huge risk. I believe I read here that a Rolling Stones master was lost in shipping. Of course, I guess if a label wants it bad enough they could do whatever it took to go pick it up. I wouldn't even trust it on a flight I was on unless it was in my own lap.

21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I agree! #286 arrived a couple days earlier than I expected. I'm on side 3, so far so good, great actually.

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Billy Joel recordings that already sound great include:

The RL "The Stranger"
    Original CD of "Songs in the Attic"

These are two of the best original BJ recordings , IMHO

23. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Anyone receive theirs from Importcds yet at that great sale price? I have not....
    Hasn't shipped, yet I was charged. Seems against their policy...

24. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat. I already paid via Paypal. There have been no updates regarding my order.

25. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Musicdirect's latest email today detailing new product makes no mention of the SACD version of GH. Given that several other online sites are standing firm at July 28, why so shy MOFI?

jeffreybh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.