Lonesome & blue with added tracks .

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rolling Stones Lonesome and Blue to be reissued in September with 19 bonus tracks that the Stones have covered, dont think there is any new track, just r & b songs they have recorded previous.

melstapler likes this.
  2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Because they so desperately need the cash...

keef285 and melstapler like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

seems to happen quite often anymore, bands re-release an album a year later and add a couple of tunes.........the poster above is probably correct, it's all about the cash.

andrewskyDE and melstapler like this.
  4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

"Blue and Lonesome "

Malina, andrewskyDE, tkl7 and 2 others like this.
  5. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

maybe it will get remastered too.
    by someone who doesnt brickwall every track and make every track clip continously.
    Love the record, but the mastering is incredibly bad.

6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Is this not just a compilation of the original versions covered by the Stones plus older r&b originals also covered by the band on previous albums?

RPOZ51 and Mark Wilson like this.
  7. swintonlion

Think you got it in one.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Dirty little original artist cash grabbers!!

Mark

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Announcement link?

10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

11. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

It's obviously not associated with the Rolling Stones but it's interesting that they're going with the same album title and getting away with it, likely because the Rolling Stones didn't have an original title in the first place. Another funny detail, it says "The Stones" on the cover, not the Rolling Stones. Lawyers at work!

marcb likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I remember seeing a certain Quarrymen/Beatles compilation CD at a store few years ago.
    By reading details it also contained recordings by the original artists. A bit annoying seeing those releases.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  13. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Agreed. The mastering is so bad that I don't care to ever hear it again---it's that bad. I also wish they did more covers in their acoustic blues style of 68-72, like the style of "Love in Vain" and "No Expectations".

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. swintonlion

So not The Rolling Stones, original artists of the Blue & Lonesome plus original artists of Stones covers,sorry for wrong info it was a bit misleading news.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Nah, it's okay. The actual Stones album better needs a new mastering though (which probably won't happen).

16. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's worth, once again, putting a name to the person responsible for this particular piece of butchery.

Stephen Marcussen.

Head of Precision mastering, in Hollywood.

A man responsible for so much butchery of perfectly good music.
    It is extraordinary, you go back 20 years, you find stuff this guy mastered in the '90s. It's squashed. Even then. But the total brickwalling and continuous clipping you see when you do a scan on the Blue and Lonesome stuff is recent.
    The mastering on the digital versions of Blue and Lonesome is so bad, it is quite literally unplayable on an half-way decent system.

The vinyl LP, mastered by Ron Masterson is quite good however.

I'm guessing the actual tapes of Blue and Lonesome - apparently it's an analogue recording - sound superb.

andrewskyDE and Andersoncouncil like this.
  17. So more of a not so good thing? I had high hopes for this record last year but it failed....For me.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The album better should get a reissue.... but on analogue reel-to-reel tape this time.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I had to look to see if I have anything that Marcussen mastered and I found just a few: GRRRR and Made in California. I don't think either title is regarded as a standout or as terrible. Marcussen is also credited with multiple titles by Leonard Cohen, Gillian Welch, Lindsey Buckingham, Buckingham/McVie. He must do some good work as those are quality artists. Don't mean to hijack the thread but the comment that he has a history of butchering music had me wondering.

Stephen Marcussen | Credits | AllMusic

20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Another interesting thing is that he's listed in the credits for several of the Japan SACD reissues that myself and many other Stones fans love.

Mark

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I would call the vinyl mastering not awful. I would not call it quite good.

My guess is most of the not awful, but not good, sound is built into the mix and there is little that can be done short of a re-mix.

22. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

And you all should check up on the sources, before posting away what you just assume...

23. It is not an assumption that this album failed for me personally last year . My source is myself :tiphat:

24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

But your reply was based on that you thought the record was going to be re-released with extra tracks... Which it is not.

25. So then why reissue it? Unless they make it sound better. Make it sound good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.