The biggest improvement in your digital system lately?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

On my portable system the Chord Mojo still shocks, it's hard to describe how
    fantastic it is without swearing.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 recently. Blown away by how good it is with my FLAC rips. Must check and see what DAC they used.

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Stopped using the multichannel analog outs from my Oppo and started using HDMI audio into my Arcam.

4. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I did exactly the same thing, and it is the first time I have enjoyed the HD 650's since I got them over three years ago.

5. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

My room consists of a couch, a stand alone shelf casing for my record, my speakers, and then my amp/source components. Hardwood floors with hard sheetrock walls and ceiling. The audio quality improvement due to the treating in my otherwise very 'sound reflective' room, is beyond any other improvement generally IF youre room was like mine.

Yost likes this.
  6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I'm also considering a Dragonfly for my iPhone (and MacBook). I have Bose in-ears and a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. I read reviews on the net that the Dragonfly Red diminishes the volume control range to nearly no range at all. How is this in your set-ups??

7. jkull

OH further improvements of mine.. Selling my furman elite and laughing at myself for buying into the salesmans recommendation back when getting into all of this. $475 back in my pocket by getting rid of that bucket of oil. The improvement was not on sound, but was part of the improvement of my understanding of this industry.....

Also. Selling my oppo 105 and replacing with an LM502ca. These two components in MY system, are worlds apart. The oppo in my chain, was harsh, brittle, unmusical, just honestly awful, and my chain is very revealing (SET amp into cornwalls)...I would listen to my records most of the time as the oppo just turned me off. Buying the 502ca sight unseen has changed everything. The day it arrived i rolled NOS mullard 4003 12AU7's into it. Have also replaced the rectifier tube with a NOS tung-sol. I never even gave the stock 12AU7's a listen, but the tung-sol 6X4 made an immense improvement. I now listen to digital daily and have no issues, the 502 practically sounds like a true analog source.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Rolltide and Helom like this.
  8. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Volume control range is adequate for both the HD 650 and the very sensitive UE 900s. It has very small steps, given you use the volume slider in the iOS music app. With the hardware buttons there are too few steps to adjust the volume. I heard about a bug with android devices, which leads to a too low maximum volume.

9. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I use it with a Windows based computer,and there is plenty of volume range to control the Hd650's or my Grado325e headphones which have much less power needs.

10. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Getting an Audio Note DAC 5-ish (a DAC which started life as a 3.1 Balanced but is now very close to a DAC5). Before that, the biggest improvement was going to a custom-built PC, which has AES/EBU and S/PDIF directly out and separate linear PSUs for motherboard and digital board.

jkull likes this.
  11. jkull

What model is it? Not a DAC5 but a few tiers below, but modified? Sounds like its nice anyhow!

12. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

That's the point – I don't know exactly what to call it. Most of it is a DAC5. I'm not sure if the output transformers are quite DAC5 level. But it sure is nice anyhow!

jkull likes this.
  13. jkull

Fair enough!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. tommylion

tommylion Well-Known Member

Putting Bybee Technologies internal Quantum Signal Enhancers in my CEC TL5 CD Transport and Audio Note DAC Kit 1.1. Amazing improvements in musical flow, detail, dynamics, palpability, involvement and overall enjoyment.

triple likes this.
  15. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Bravo!

16. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Just got back from a trip to the Schittr in which I picked up a Bifrost DAC...wow! Sounds way better than the Modi 2 Uber I was using prior. I did not get the multibit option but can add that later.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Likewise here, through choice. I want my living space to be a living space and not some faux-recording studio ripoff. And the sound is excellent for now.

18. John Woo

John Woo Well-Known Member

going from a one box cd player to separate transport n DAC just few months ago.
    the difference is so stunning that my CD sounds almost like what i hear fm an LP... almost.

19. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

20. triple

triple Senior Member

Does this thing take a long time to burn in? A good friend had a strange episode with a Chord Hugo dac. He says that this dac sounded very sharp from the day he had brought it home, which continued for a week of burn in, at which point he returned it to the seller. I am still puzzled with this outcome.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Another type of 6X4 you might try in the 502 one day is the GEC for sale from upscale audio. NOS GEC tubes would generally be incredibly expensive, but as that isn't a common tube it's affordable. I also use Millard CV4003s in my 502 so I can vouch for the combination.

22. John Woo

John Woo Well-Known Member

used a pair of Mullard CV4003s in my Conrad Johnson PV11 n then moved them to the Dared 300B monoblocks, they really help bring the sound up a few notches

Puma Cat likes this.
  23. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

My Mojo sounded great from the box, I am sceptical about DAC burn in .

24. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Schiit 4490 upgrade to my Bifrost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.