The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Like Rne, you are telling us/me/the GOGD universe that somehow you do NOT like 2/2/70?!?!?

2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Sorry for that, I had to go in to the office today and I'm just bored.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Well put, my friend. Yep, that is the way with a lot of the best things in life. It takes some wearing in. Shoes, wranglers, even people. And especially the best music. Some time I can buy an album and just think it stinks. Put it in the archive and somehow it ferments or rather grows like a seed in the unconciousness until one is ready. Suddenly you have a beautiful flower there insted of an ugly duckling :D And some times it will stay unloveable. The jury is still out on this one. I'll get back to you when and if I change my mind.

I am truly a horrible person :winkgrin: On the other hand, see my reply to wavey over.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. BurtThomasWard

I take it you are a new(er) recruit when it comes to things Dead and Grateful?

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This is so true. A good example is Dave's 22, which I've seen folks dismiss because there aren't any big "jams". Which seems like some folks might really be missing out, I think that's a great release - with or without the bonus disc.

Six Bachelors, bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  6. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Yes! Stumbled on this show (2/26) over winter and needed medical attention. Keith gets extra weird if I remember correctly.

Guess I now have to check out 6/4/77 per @Crispy Rob's insider tip line.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Because veterans really are more in to El Paso? Oops, sorry just really bored, yes to your question, not that I just started listening to them yesterday, though.

I started my second time listening to it this morning on the way to work (just got it the week before last), it has a bit more bluesy and rock-n-roll vibe overall, but I personally was enjoying it more this time than I did initially. Only made it about half way through disc 1 this morning, I was digging on Beat it on down the line, Mr. Charlie, the Sugaree and Tennessee Jed, particularly.

8. BurtThomasWard

Well, I for one is actually always more about the songs than the jamming, but I just felt that something was 'off' with this particular offering. I liked the bonus disc better, for some reason. But then again 'one man gathers what another man spills' so I'm glad for you that you like this release. Hopefully I'll come around to your way of thinking sooner than later.

9. BurtThomasWard

Well, d'oh! Or at least some of us are :wave:

I've just drew that conclusion form your post in this thread the last few days. I myself have been on and off the bus since around '91, but mostly off until 2009. After that it grew into a monsterous habit. What is your favorite era of the band?

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

Pigpen joins in on the 4/8 Dark Star too, about 2/3 of the way through.

11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I guess I gotta learn to listen better or develop my memory better:)

ianuaditis, US Blues and rainbow dome like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I just listened to the Music Never Stopped from this show. Not sure if it is a best-ever version, but it is unusual in that Jerry plays his typical '77 scrubbing peak in the solo and then...keeps going for a minute or two after that, instead of stopping right afterwards like in most other versions.

It is also cool that right before the first song (Promised Land), on the MOTB recording you can hear someone in the crowd yell, "Energy!"

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  13. BurtThomasWard

Sitting on the porch in the last really warm rays of the sun, getting slowly a little bit drunk for the first time in ten months and letting YT choose my Dead. First Stephen, then Uncle John and now Franklin. I've missed those guys. Life could be worse :love:

14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

No, you're right.

Short answer: My current resurgence of interest is only a couple months old, and I haven't enough recordings from various years to really choose a favorite, but out of the limited stuff I have so far, my favorite overall is Dave's 13 (2/24/74).

Long answer: I first started listening in '94 or '95, although it was really just a surface level of interest (I had only a cassette copy of Skeleton's in the Closet) and missed my last chance to see them live with some friends before Jerry died. Then I got into them a little more deeply in college around late '90s early '00s, got the usual American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, and Aoxomoxa, plus Dick Pick's 2 & 4. Too bad I didn't get more into them then cause the Dick's Picks were on the store shelves at normal prices at that time. Probably would have gotten more into them if I would have had friends who were also into them, beyond the aforementioned studio albums, and with whom to share enthusiasm.

15. BurtThomasWard

Maybe it was better not to catch the Dead in that period... I think seeing Jerry (for the first time) in those last few years could have turned a growing love into something much sadder. I might be wrong, tho. It has happened before a few times.

Dave #13 is a thing of rare beauty if you ask me, even if '69, '73 and '77 are my go-to years. At least that is what I've been telling me. But after reading this whole thread some time the last year I got into '88. And '90. And Brent and all those this that I took for granted or just thought of as the dregs at the end of a wonderful career. I all really started when I bought the '78 box and really found myself enjoying it. Suddenly all that other music which I had turned a blind eye and deaf ear to all those years started to make sense. Better late than never, right?

The studio albums get a bad rep imo. But I do think that Jerrys stuff is even better.

16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Amen, brother! The Brent years were fat years! I'll preach it 'til my dying breath, even if I do listen to mostly 72-74 these days...

17. BurtThomasWard

I like how he somehow resurrected the very profane spirituality of the Pig. That he preached the gospel more for the body than for the mind, if you get my drift. And for some reason I really love the songs that he wrote that became a part of the live set. "Blow Away" most of all.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Looking forward to getting my copy of the '78 box that I just ordered. Once I get that and Dave's 23, '78 will be the most well represented year in my collection. I'm stoked that I'll finally have some Fire on the Mountain's and Estimated Prophet's in my collection. In the 90s, while I wasn't super in to the GD, a friend always had live cassettes that he wanted to play in my car, Fire an Estimated were always my favorites.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yesterday, I watched on YouTube a pretty sweet Iko Iko at Anaheim with Brent.

ianuaditis, bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Have you compared it carefully to Jacksonville 8 April 1978, and Atlanta 11 April 1978? :wave:

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  21. BurtThomasWard

I would really recommend trying to grab DaP #15 from somewhere. I think that one is just smokin'. "Prophet" has been one of my fave Dead tracks since the first time I heard it, but I do prefer the ones from '77. That is, if I had to choose. Luckily, that is not an option :D Have you heard Dick's #3? That was the one that hooked me. Masterful version, imo.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

25 July: 1972 & 1974. Both shows offer up an abundance of short tunes, '72 especially is a long show (3.5 CD's, I put the 16 September '72 Dark Star on as filler), all really well played and fun. The '72 show offers up a Truckin' > Other One > Wharf Rat sequence, with many interesting exploration contained in The Other One. The '74 show features a Dark Star > Stella Blue compendium, with a Slipknot! jam in the middle. Celebrate the day and keep it in the 70's.

23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Here are two questions people may have answers for:

1. When exactly did Jerry begin playing the Wolf?

2. When did Jerry begin playing the riff that used to be at the end of Bobby's section of the China>Rider transition in his own lead during the transition? I just listened to 12/29/77 and it's not there yet...

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The wolf was born in August/September 1973

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  25. Put me in the camp that thinks the 4/8/72 DS is up there with the best, but the thing to note is that you have to ride it through to the end of the set because the whole sequence (DS>SM>Caution) is one for the ages.